Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
#8276 Old 16th May 2019 at 6:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Primavera
If I were to buy the TS3 Starter Pack would I be stuck with the 1.69 patch? I read that if you buy the base game after 2012 you would have to update to 1.69, so I wonder if this is true or not. If true I may have to look into buying the game through Steam.

I have most of the disks.
If your original Sims 3 disk is old enough (mine is) you can install everything without Origin and end up with 1.67. I've done it.
But I later bought everything on steam for about $5/ea during a Steam sale. It's easier to install that way and I don't have to be careful to make sure I don't click the "install Origin and end your happiness" button.

Sims are better than us.
Advertisement
Inventor
#8277 Old 16th May 2019 at 8:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
I have most of the disks.
If your original Sims 3 disk is old enough (mine is) you can install everything without Origin and end up with 1.67. I've done it.
But I later bought everything on steam for about $5/ea during a Steam sale. It's easier to install that way and I don't have to be careful to make sure I don't click the "install Origin and end your happiness" button.

Now I wish I didn't give my original 2009 disk away to my cousin, if only I knew what I know now. I was looking on Amazon the other night and I found the Deluxe version (base game and Ambitions) for $5 . I'll still keep my eyes peeled for the next Steam sale. All in all the packs I want will end up costing like $60-70 depending on the percentage of the sale, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Mad Poster
#8278 Old 18th May 2019 at 5:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
Will there ever come a day when the sims franchise gets past the "Its a girl game" stereotype?

No. Next question?
Mad Poster
#8279 Old 18th May 2019 at 5:49 PM
I think there's more than a few of us. I also have to wonder how the data was collected. Something like this, maybe...

Q1: Do you play The Sims games?
Q2: What are you, some kind of girl or something?
Q3: Were you also always the last one to ever be picked for a team for serious sports like kickball?

(yes, none of your business, and yes)

If my grandparents, who were raising me at the time and whom I still miss dearly as they are no longer with us, were around today I would probably still be jokingly giving them a difficult time for never getting me the Easy Bake Oven I wanted as a child and instead some stupid GI Joe thing. I guess they thought they were being progressive for letting their little grandson play with macho dolls (that he didn't want). So much for the 1960s, maybe we haven't come very far since then after all?

Since then I've learned that things prepared from mixes that supposedly have infinite shelf lives and baked by way of a 100 watt incandescent light bulb don't actually taste anything like food, but that's of course beside the point.
Mad Poster
#8280 Old 18th May 2019 at 5:55 PM
Even If it's a girl game, I feel no shame in it. Mhh, maybe cause I'm past the "you sissy" type of comments or in general intolerant remarks that I don't give a damn. Kind of hard finding nowadays simmers where I live (which I guess makes me stand out from those who play typical games of "gamers"), but at least they know what it is when the conversation about it is strucked.

Anyway for a random question: Do Sims that use the televator and multiple passngers desire to go different floors, how do they go about it? Do they just wait before the current Sims leaves the lift for them to enter? Or has maxis put the nice realism-touch where they also the elevator, and everybody reaches their floor in consistent matter? As nobody observed that or tested it with active Sims?

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Top Secret Researcher
#8281 Old 18th May 2019 at 7:18 PM
Yeah, I play this 'girl's game' and I also play grand strategy games, where for a long time I was pretty much the only non-staff female poster on their forums. The former doesn't make me girly, and the latter doesn't make me mannish. A good game is a good game.
Lab Assistant
#8282 Old 18th May 2019 at 7:53 PM
wtf I haven't known that people categorize games like that - or at least I haven't known that it's quite common to do so...
Why does this matter at all? People can play the f... they want^^ I play sims, but I also shoot zombies heads off... as SusannaG said, it doesn't define gender and it doesn't say anything about ending up in real-life violence or whatever...
it's sad, that people really are that ignorant. Sounds either like children whos parents raised them with ancient stereotypes or like adult whos parents blabla, but aren't able to reflect their personality^^ I think you should ignore those people, because they praise everything what's popular in the common societies opinion.
Lab Assistant
#8283 Old 18th May 2019 at 10:05 PM Last edited by TheThirdWizard : 18th May 2019 at 10:15 PM.

At least try it ^

If it's too long for you then ignore it.
Lab Assistant
#8284 Old 19th May 2019 at 9:28 AM
@TheThirdWizard
I read your text and I just want to say, that I admire your strength. It's not easy to live among people who can't or don't want to understand and therefor ignore important things which also needs to be heard (I don't only mean people who play computer games, I refer to other sensitive issues too). So.. I think it's a good thing, that you made your own thoughts about that and that you still keep playing sims. And it's very good to read, that your closest family knows about your "secret" and supports you (:
I think I understand, what you mean by good/bad behavior, but is a person who steals an apple to not die of starving really a bad person? Or is someone a good person because he/she "helps" to get attention? How many videos are out there, where people act like angels to get a bit of fame or to be loved by everyone. In my opinion it's not kindness, it's sad and if I see people like that I don't get the feeling that I am close to them, instead I feel this awkward distance, like this person has no points to connect to, like they are a shell. A mirror. Some people creep the hell out of me.
But I also understand, that it's not easy writing/talking about those things, because it's easy to misunderstand.

I've got another stupid question: Why is it impossible in a year like 2019 to just let people live their lives the f**k they want? ^^ I mean, as long as you don't harm/hurt anyone on purpose, it should be fine. If you want to love a person of the same gender - go ahead! Love is great! Do you want to play sims or want to shoot monsters? Have fun with it! It doesn't harm anyone, it's actually the opposite - It brings joy and love and all the good stuff it's worth living for^^ What's always with this gender stuff or how cool your new car is, or how much money is in your account? Why is it so hard for us people to respect each others values as long as it doesn't affect others in a bad way on purpose? (The last word is really important to me, because unfortunately it can always happen, that we hurt each other. like accidently stepping on the others foot or something^^)

I kinda missed the sims topic here... but it just makes me so so sad, that we live in a world where we have to "obey" society/social media just to be a worthy part of humankind....
Mad Poster
#8285 Old 19th May 2019 at 2:00 PM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 19th May 2019 at 2:13 PM.
I haven't personally experience the stereotypes from these people that like nastily label simmers, and I haven't heard this issue being relevant somewhere. I would guess, but aren't these the edgy hardcore "gamers" that patrionize simmers just to make themselves feel better / boost their ego?

It's 2019 for Christ sakes. If people were thrown that remark at me, I would get double stick figure minuses over my heard, and probably never speaking to them again as they're de facto an enemy. For a person that I would bet plays first person shooters that i don't care much, they for some reason care what I play. I just don't that non gamers and those that play variety of genres wouldn't humiliate people of whatever they play.

Lab Assistant
#8286 Old 19th May 2019 at 6:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fluse
I think I understand, what you mean by good/bad behavior, but is a person who steals an apple to not die of starving really a bad person? Or is someone a good person because he/she "helps" to get attention? How many videos are out there, where people act like angels to get a bit of fame or to be loved by everyone. In my opinion it's not kindness, it's sad and if I see people like that I don't get the feeling that I am close to them, instead I feel this awkward distance, like this person has no points to connect to, like they are a shell. A mirror. Some people creep the hell out of me.
But I also understand, that it's not easy writing/talking about those things, because it's easy to misunderstand.

What can I say? Thank you for your kind words.

Mad Poster
#8287 Old 20th May 2019 at 9:06 AM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 21st May 2019 at 5:17 PM.
Do WA cash registers pull in visitors?

Another question, can anyone dissect the venue.xml and explain what these things stand for: " WorldRestriction ...", "ContinousMotive" from one shot motive? What do numbers mean(5s) under the encouraged traits? Roletoursit? Trait motives? Also, anyone can clarify what certain venues mean with unrecognized name (VisitOther and VisitNeighbor the differences their hold, as well as markets from france and those of others)?

Top Secret Researcher
#8288 Old 21st May 2019 at 6:24 PM
Why is there a full moon in Lunar Lakes?

Sims are better than us.
Site Helper
#8289 Old 21st May 2019 at 11:07 PM
Maybe the full mon in Lunar Lakes is actually a full Earth?

(My husband learned a long time ago not to ask rhetorical questions, because I tend to answer them...)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Instructor
#8290 Old 22nd May 2019 at 6:35 AM Last edited by Mandelyn : 23rd May 2019 at 7:06 AM.
Because other planets have moons also. As it is a far away alien planet it should have a different moon really, but there are mods that did that.
Mad Poster
#8291 Old 22nd May 2019 at 1:09 PM
As I understand it, in theory at least anyway, moons may also have submoons of their own.
Lab Assistant
#8292 Old 22nd May 2019 at 2:29 PM
Hello everyone (:
I know that small-animal-spawners work in homeworlds when I place them in CAW. In game those spawners will spawn the animals from the Pets Expansion. But will it also work for spawners from WA, LN and ITF when i place them in caw? Not only for bugs and butterflies , I mean all spawners, like gems and fishes and so on or are those items/animals only available in that Travel-World or Expansion-World (Oasis Landing)?
Top Secret Researcher
#8293 Old 22nd May 2019 at 2:43 PM
I found that the XML file for rocks metals and gems had a line for spawning minor pets...
<kSpawnableMinorPets value="">
<!--The minor pet types this spawner can spawn if the random chance to spawn a pet is successful.-->
</kSpawnableMinorPets>
In this case, it doesn't show the pets because I made a mod that deleted them. It's not that I don't like the Pets expansion, tho I don't. I was ignoring the fact that there were parrots sitting on the ground in the middle of nowhere all over my game. It's when I realized that if 3 pets were there that it was "full" and not going to spawn any more rocks, gems or metals. My sim has better things to do than to police the pets all over my world in his effort to complete his alchemy gem collection.

Sims are better than us.
Lab Assistant
#8294 Old 22nd May 2019 at 2:56 PM
@Emmett Brown
Thanks, that's good to know. That explains why it's sometimes hard to find rare gems.
mmh but does that mean, that all spawners you can place in CAW should work as intended in the homeworld? I know, if you place spawners from debug, they work - at least fishes, shells from IP, gems, bugs, even nanites, but other ITF-spawners seem not to work.
Scholar
#8295 Old 22nd May 2019 at 3:33 PM
I decided to give dogs another try and made two retrievers and gave them the "likes to swim" trait. They live on an island and are constantly taking the water taxi! If I click on any of the water the only option is "drink," where can they swim? Is there a way to get dogs to swim in bodies of water?
Top Secret Researcher
#8296 Old 22nd May 2019 at 9:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
Why is there a full moon in Lunar Lakes?

"That's no moon!"

I mean, EA does have the Star Wars license.
Inventor
#8297 Old 24th May 2019 at 2:12 AM
I'm back with another stupid question. I know that CAW doesn't work with the Steam version of TS3 unless you edit the registry, but do I need CAW for anything other than building custom worlds? Do I need CAW to install custom worlds or to move a tree in a neighborhood?

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Site Helper
#8298 Old 24th May 2019 at 3:07 AM
You can install a custom world without CAW. You just can't edit any terrain feature that isn't on a lot. (And you should never use the feature they gave you that adds lots in places that never had a lot, unless you like to gamble. They didn't bother with a feature to properly rebuild routing to account for the new lot. Sometimes, if the lot is small and remote enough, things are mostly fine. Other times...)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Inventor
#8299 Old 24th May 2019 at 3:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
You can install a custom world without CAW. You just can't edit any terrain feature that isn't on a lot. (And you should never use the feature they gave you that adds lots in places that never had a lot, unless you like to gamble. They didn't bother with a feature to properly rebuild routing to account for the new lot. Sometimes, if the lot is small and remote enough, things are mostly fine. Other times...)

Oh that's good to know. And about the feature thing; do you mean add lots in places without a road? Or uneven terrain? Also; what does Edit-In-Game mean, is that also a feature of CAW? Once I actually get the game I'll know a little bit more but for now I'm taking shots in the dark ahead of time

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Mad Poster
#8300 Old 24th May 2019 at 7:37 AM Last edited by igazor : 24th May 2019 at 8:07 AM.
All of my worlds have lots of all kinds where I have placed down the lot footprints where there were none before by way of Edit Town and I have never used CAW, let alone EIG. I'm not even sure how to spell CAW. If the world lot routing gets mixed up as a result, I don't usually see it because a subsequent MasterController Reset Everything followed by a Save As and reload, and the presence of the NRaas GoHere mod, seem to take care of things for me.

If players have such problems in general with the add lot feature in vanilla Edit Town and my game is in this regard acting as an unusual exception to the rule, I have to wonder if this is another example of where angels having been watching over my 7.5 year ongoing game for me as our developer has said several times over the years.
Page 332 of 385