Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Aug 2009 at 10:52 AM Last edited by EsmeraldaF : 2nd Aug 2009 at 1:16 PM.
Clothes meshing
Has anyone devised a way to import new clothing meshes into TS3? I've only just learned to mesh and was able to alter a TS3 hair mesh following Hysterical Paroxysm's tutorial and import it using DABOOBS, and am now keen to try meshing clothing, but have come up blank as far as finding a way to import them to the game.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 2nd Aug 2009 at 4:03 PM
I probably can't give you the answer you're hoping for...but this might help you.

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=357516

It's a tutorial by RoguePilot. It shows you how to make a texture point to a specific mesh.

There is one thing I'm unsure of though...so beware when trying to rush threw it.

Rogue used a mesh called afBodySwimsuit_Plunge as a starting base for his Lara Croft mesh (afBodySwimsuit_edited).

Both those meshes have the same amount of characters in the name.
So when it comes to hex editing you might encounter problems if you use a base mesh with more or less characters in the name than those mentioned.

I might be wrong in stating that this MAY cause errors! If so than good...kuz you could use any meshes as a base which makes things much easier on us.

But I figured I might as well mention it to prevent you from from having troubles in case I am right.

GL Modding!

DOEreoh
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Aug 2009 at 5:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DOEreoh
I probably can't give you the answer you're hoping for...but this might help you.

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=357516

It's a tutorial by RoguePilot. It shows you how to make a texture point to a specific mesh.

There is one thing I'm unsure of though...so beware when trying to rush threw it.

Rogue used a mesh called afBodySwimsuit_Plunge as a starting base for his Lara Croft mesh (afBodySwimsuit_edited).

Both those meshes have the same amount of characters in the name.
So when it comes to hex editing you might encounter problems if you use a base mesh with more or less characters in the name than those mentioned.

I might be wrong in stating that this MAY cause errors! If so than good...kuz you could use any meshes as a base which makes things much easier on us.

But I figured I might as well mention it to prevent you from from having troubles in case I am right.

GL Modding!

Thanks very much for that - I've seen that tutorial, but it's to do with how to add new clothing textures to a custom body mesh, and what I'm wanting to do is to add a new clothing mesh (specifically, lengthening one of the TS3 men's jackets to coat length) to the game. But, that tutorial might help in adding new recolours to the coat mesh, IF I ever get the coat mesh into the game! Hopefully it looks like Delphy's next CTU might include meshing - I may have to wait until then. Thanks again!
Mother Function
retired moderator
#4 Old 2nd Aug 2009 at 5:13 PM
There's a thread in the CAS Parts forum started by RoguePilot where he explained how he made his new mesh It's quite old so you might have to flip through a few pages to find it.

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 2nd Aug 2009 at 7:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by EsmeraldaF
But, that tutorial might help in adding new recolours to the coat mesh, IF I ever get the coat mesh into the game!

I am working on making new shoe meshes by modifying existing EA meshes. This tutorial made it very easy to do, and may help you.

Modifying a TS3 Mesh

However this method does overwrite the default mesh.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 2nd Aug 2009 at 7:38 PM
The link is here http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=356024

Sorry it's a bit rough, but it was more of a working document than a tutorial.I have since then gotten 4 more meshes working and ready for upload, so I know it is a consistently succesful process.

DOEreoh is right. I am using the same namelength, just due to the way CTU writes a new Caspart and then having to maintain the file structure when Hex editing the file. If you look at how long some of the mesh names are you can get pretty creative and descriptive in naming your new mesh.

The 'edited' part was something simple to use in the test, and then I just went with it for the completed article.

Word of advice though. Develop everything in stages. Get the mesh working as a default. Test it thoroughly, then start creating a new name and proxy. Depending on the mesh mods, you may be able to leave the lod2 and lod3 as standard. I'm using a pretty old Pentium 4HT, (overclocked to hell and with completely overspecced accessories admittedly), and I have never had to drop into a lower level of detail.

Something, something, something, Darkside
Field Researcher
#7 Old 2nd Aug 2009 at 8:40 PM
Ahh.

Sorry Esmeralda! I understood the opposite! lol

Well I'm glad our other fellow creators came to the rescue!

DOEreoh
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 2nd Aug 2009 at 9:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by playful
I am working on making new shoe meshes by modifying existing EA meshes. This tutorial made it very easy to do, and may help you.

Modifying a TS3 Mesh

However this method does overwrite the default mesh.

Thank you for that - that tutorial is actually how I learned to mesh and to use Milkshape and it really is good! But as you say, it replaces the default mesh, which I don't want to do, so that's where I had to leave off! So I guess we'll have to wait until someone comes up with a solution for adding non-replacement meshes for clothes, like Delphy did for hair.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 2nd Aug 2009 at 9:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RoguePilot
The link is here http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=356024

Sorry it's a bit rough, but it was more of a working document than a tutorial.I have since then gotten 4 more meshes working and ready for upload, so I know it is a consistently succesful process.

DOEreoh is right. I am using the same namelength, just due to the way CTU writes a new Caspart and then having to maintain the file structure when Hex editing the file. If you look at how long some of the mesh names are you can get pretty creative and descriptive in naming your new mesh.

The 'edited' part was something simple to use in the test, and then I just went with it for the completed article.

Word of advice though. Develop everything in stages. Get the mesh working as a default. Test it thoroughly, then start creating a new name and proxy. Depending on the mesh mods, you may be able to leave the lod2 and lod3 as standard. I'm using a pretty old Pentium 4HT, (overclocked to hell and with completely overspecced accessories admittedly), and I have never had to drop into a lower level of detail.

Thanks very much, and thanks to daluved for mentioning it as well - this looks like it may be promising and I'll try to work my way through it, though bearing in mind that I'm completely new at meshing and most of the technical side of it is still pretty baffling to me! Thank you everyone, for your advice!
Test Subject
#10 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 9:09 PM
LianaSims has made clothing with new meshes (I downloaded the file and there is indeed two files, one for the mesh and one for the clothes -- ex. http://www.lianasims3.net/fashion.p...tion=Sleepwear#)

Did Liana use that same method to do it? I've tried e-mailing to ask her but she ignored me :p
Test Subject
#11 Old 6th Aug 2009 at 1:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tiari
LianaSims has made clothing with new meshes (I downloaded the file and there is indeed two files, one for the mesh and one for the clothes -- ex. http://www.lianasims3.net/fashion.p...tion=Sleepwear#)

Did Liana use that same method to do it? I've tried e-mailing to ask her but she ignored me :p

I believe she used the tsr workshop,which enables you to alter meshes to a degree, but you can only edit the verticals, also when you edit them they have to have the exact same amount of verticals, ie if the original mesh has 30 verticals your mesh has to have that exact same amount when reimporting.
Test Subject
#12 Old 6th Aug 2009 at 4:46 AM
@ ~Bec~: I thought that would replace the default mesh in the game, or is that no longer the case with TSR Workshop?
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 6th Aug 2009 at 5:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tiari
@ ~Bec~: I thought that would replace the default mesh in the game, or is that no longer the case with TSR Workshop?

Yea, as far as I know TSR workshop can produce Non-defaults now. Planned on caving in today and actually using it.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#14 Old 7th Aug 2009 at 9:42 AM Last edited by EsmeraldaF : 7th Aug 2009 at 12:27 PM.
Yes, TSR Workshop does produce non-default meshes - I've just caved in and tried it for what I described above - lengthening a men's jacket - and it was a surprisingly easy and successful endeavour. I've never done meshing before until a few days ago when I managed to alter and import a hair mesh using HP's hair meshing tutorial, so I have little idea what I'm doing, but found the clothes mesh altering process quite easy in TSRW. The new mesh shows up as a separate item on its own line in CAS, like recolours do.

I was surprised and disappointed that TS3 didn't have a long men's jacket/coat as TS2 did, as I'm a massive 'Deus Ex' fan and am enough of a saddo that I'd created all of the main characters for my TS2 game and wanted to create them for my TS3 game. I had to resort to the EA Store's 'Mandarin collar coat' for the necessary long coats but these are nowhere near ideal and not being able to recolour/retexture them or modify their meshes was a total pain. So I've now managed to do a very rough first draft for my JC Denton sim:

I used the locked 'scrubs' outfit and the stethoscope and ID card are still visible - they don't seem to be on the mesh so I guess they must be part of a bump map, which I also have no idea how to edit and will now also have to go off and learn!

EDIT: Ah, I see Delphy's new CTU version has just come out, and it enables us to do meshes - so hopefully we can now make them using our own MTS resources, which I'm sure will be better! The TSR Workshop does have limitations as to how much modification you can do to a mesh.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 3:06 PM
Yep, I've now re-created the same jacket mesh using Delphy's CTU 1.8, and it was quick, easy, worked perfectly in-game, and the package file was about 1/10th the size of the TSRW one! Thanks so much Delphy!
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 5:12 PM
where did you find the 1.8 because i just looked and the latest was 1.7

Andrew Shields My personal portfolio

Andrew Shields Facebook Page <3
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#17 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 5:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Forwardmotionis
where did you find the 1.8 because i just looked and the latest was 1.7

It's on page 38 of Delphy's CTU Thread, post number 937: http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...5#startcomments