Welcome to
Mod The Sims
Online: 3741
News:
Have an account? Sign in:
pass:
If you don't have an account, why not sign up now? It's free!
Other sites: SimsWiki
Reply  Replies: 4 (Who?), Viewed: 1056 times.
Search this Thread
Old 5th Jan 2019, 9:43 AM DefaultBlack lines on screen #1
Theowlclip
Original Poster

Test Subject

Games: Original, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life

Hey there!
So today when I loaded up The Sims 2 I created a family and moved them into an empty lot and a square of grey/black lines appeared on the right side of the screen.
They only appear on lots or in the neighbourhood, not on loading screens.
When I tried to change neighbourhoods to test if it was still there on the other one the game froze.

I haven't added any CC since I played last and haven't had any issues previously.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thank you!
Screenshots
Click image for larger version

Name:  49841140_2091848857543600_7198585017407111168_n.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  297.5 KB   Click image for larger version

Name:  49625882_791278757882137_4232210556720775168_n.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  64.2 KB  
Old 5th Jan 2019, 10:15 AM #2
joandsarah77
Needs Coffee

Games: Original, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
30 Achievements

View My Journal

Do you have on the 4 gb patch? Is your game using your graphics card or your chip? if your computer is new since about 2010 you need to set the graphic rules or it won't see your graphics card.

Go to Documents> EA Games> The Sims 2>Logs folder. In there click on the file ending in config-log-txt. It will show you memory, free memory and also your graphics card. You want those memories to say 4096 not less and down below you want to see your graphic card name and model.

If this is all done and correct my next suggestion would be your computer could be overheating. Try dusting it out. Try updating your graphic card drivers. Black marks on the screen can also be a sign of a graphics card dying.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Old 5th Jan 2019, 8:13 PM #3
d_dgjdhh
Scholar

27 Achievements

View My Journal

It looks like you're using a laptop.

It could be that the laptop is overheating because the CPU and graphics chip are integrated together. Since The Sims 2 demands a lot of processing, both will heat up the same time (rather than having a graphics card that's separate from the CPU, where one can overheat more than the other).

If this is an ordinary laptop for casual Internet browsing and movie entertainment, then you may continue to have it overheat, and that overheating will degrade the CPU and graphics chip.

Perhaps you can tells us the laptop you have?

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Last edited by d_dgjdhh : 6th Jan 2019 at 3:18 AM.
Old 6th Jan 2019, 3:44 PM #4
Sunrader
Scholar

Games: Original, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
2 Achievements

If it is an issue with overheating, sometimes people don't realize that you can just mechanically cool it down. Point a fan at the places that get hot, put it on a hard surface or one with fans built in... I've even put ice packs under mine in the summer before.
Old 21st Feb 2019, 1:24 AM #5
Theowlclip
Original Poster

Test Subject

Hey guys!
You were right, it was just an overheating issue!
Thank you all for your help.

Section jump: