Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 3:53 AM Last edited by floopyboo : 29th Aug 2017 at 6:09 AM.
Default Can anyone explain something to me? *WARNING: Thread contains images*
I just want to know what's with this fashion for making sims look like they have buck teeth? Is the bugs bunny look a new hot thing or something? I'm not trying to diss I just don't understand why it's so prevalent now. What am I missing?

Thanks, I hate it.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#3 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 7:06 AM Last edited by igazor : 21st Aug 2017 at 7:49 PM.
The solution is a bit obvious, no?
http://modthesims.info/d/371257

Or we could talk about invisiligns, but since we're not meant to really see those there wouldn't be much to their implementation.

Actually, could be way off base but my real initial reaction to this "trend," if it is one, is maybe it's merely an effort to get us to see sims' teeth at all. Mine seem to go around with their mouths closed more of the time than would be realistic, not that I spend hours upon hours staring at them hoping they will crack open with a toothy grin more often.
Instructor
#4 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 3:21 PM
I would have never thought of braces! (a lightbulb turns on above my head) It's a shame because I already witnessed this trend cluelessly about a few years ago in the virtual world Second Life when I was still active there and I clearly remember that suddenly it was a fashion trend to wear this kind of open lips on female human avatars. But don't worry, at the same time came the trend of extremely wide hips with the legs so far from each other that a creek could flow between the thighs, so... there's more goodies where that came from.
dodgy builder
#5 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 3:26 PM Last edited by Volvenom : 21st Aug 2017 at 5:10 PM.
It's been a bit on tsr. I wonder when that asian content maker entered. Wellknown, but suddenly I don't remember her name.

Anyways I wonder if it started with her, because she has that Japanese/Chinese female doll look on all her coverart. It looks to me like she's moving more towards the Western independant woman look now though.

Edit: I found it, I was thinking about S-Club
Field Researcher
#6 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 9:04 AM
As a frequent seeker of Sims 3 mods, I have come to the conclusion that there are some bizarre ideas of what beauty is out there. Some of these creator's sims seem to take strange forms from the oddly alien, to the downright fugly. The teeth trend has struck me as an odd choice as well. I try to imagine some of these player's worlds filled with these wacky sims and it's frightening! Don't do it!
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#7 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 3:22 PM
I think it has been a trend for several years now, just like the red flu nose. One blogger who took those buck-toothed beauties to their logical and parodistically grotesque conclusion is Beaverhausen, and he's been doing this for years now.
(I won't link because he also uses Cmar's male enhancements quite copiously )
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 5:47 PM
Ah, that's what he is doing! I always wondered why he uses such odd models for his hairs!
I thought it inspired since their ugliness makes focusing on the hairs and the hairs alone much easier instead of being distracted by a pretty model head. I just never realized it's a satirical exaggeration of this trend.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#9 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 5:58 PM
This is so not new! The exact same conversation was being had in the TS2 community circa 2008. (Fortunately the TS2 community has now developed better taste)

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 8:49 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 22nd Aug 2017 at 9:00 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
This is so not new! The exact same conversation was being had in the TS2 community circa 2008. (Fortunately the TS2 community has now developed better taste)

You'd think TS2 would be out of new tastes to develop by now, considering TS2 has been running on fan-made content since '08.
And yet here I am in TS3, struggling to style my Sims in an up-to-date manner even though it's only been 4 years since EA stopped making content. I told myself that my TS3 would "freeze" in 2017, so that I wouldn't have to worry about any of that. TS3 stops in 2017, 2018 and beyond do not exist in it.
In hindsight, I should've committed to the 80s thing I have going on earlier. The 80s ain't never gonna change, but it's an endless supply of aesthetic curiosities and probably the perfect setting for TS3 due to CASt. Especially when laced with futurism, because ITF really ties into the whole sleek shiny plastic geometric 80s futurism. Fuck, I love that style.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Theorist
#11 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 9:56 PM
These don't look like buck teeth to me, just an effort to give sims teeth. I've seen teeth for kids with a space in the middle that was pretty cute. I've never bothered with teeth for my own sims, though.

As far as strange things I've seen that people make for their sims, these don't even come close to being the strangest. There's a lot of really bizarre fantasy type stuff out there that weirds me out.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#12 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 11:01 PM
Sims already have teeth, though!

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 11:09 PM
Most just look like lips with too much botox or whatever is used. Lisa Rhinna! Trying for Angelina Jolie and getting Lisa.
Scholar
#14 Old 23rd Aug 2017 at 1:31 AM
They remind me of those slightly scary Victorian dolls. And that too was really about showing off their teeth. "Look, look!" the doll makers were saying. "Aren't our dolls exquisite? See, they have teeth!" Yes, yes, but I don't want to be looking at them continually - its unnerving! That's why clowns are scary, by the way, its the painted on smile that never goes away!

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Alchemist
#15 Old 23rd Aug 2017 at 11:55 AM
The toothy lipstick look was a trend back in 2009-2010, for sure. Real life models are encouraged to pose with their mouths slightly open for a less "formal" look. Back then we didn't have mouth sliders (or any kind of custom sliders, IIRC), so creators did the next best thing and edited the textures directly I've never used them, though, and I don't particularly want to imagine how a sim with that lipstick would look like when opening their mouth.

As for the Chinese and other Asian creators adopting this trend, it's another aspect of giving their sims a youthful, cute aesthetic. Modern culture in a lot of parts of Asia (South Korea and Japan in particular) is big on youthful and innocent appearance; for real life examples, check out idols in K-pop and J-pop.

Edit: let's not forget the pastel looks, the deersims, and the urban aesthetic that a lot of simblrs use for black sims. All are trends that come and go, really.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Theorist
#16 Old 23rd Aug 2017 at 3:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Sims already have teeth, though!

That's true, but they are not visible all the time so I assume they want a look that does make them visible all the time.

Personally one of the things I can't stand is all the CC that makes it look like sims are bleeding or even dead. Also not into the deer. But to each their own, eh?

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Mad Poster
#18 Old 27th Aug 2017 at 8:31 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 27th Aug 2017 at 9:11 PM.
I mean, I guess. It varies per Sim for me. I try to make them realistic by having varied tastes. I've been figuring out the whole "femininity" thing lately, and how some women are girly while others aren't.
I'm even a bit edgy sometimes, giving my Sims outfits I'd consider douchey or stupid in real life. Dungarees, mom jeans, man buns, sex offender glasses, that sort of stuff.
Well, I say I'm edgy, but most of the time I end up tolerating those trends anyway. I have an undercut and I dress like a mix between a generic frat bro, an 80s bad boy and a middle-aged lesbian, so I can't claim to be entirely sensible.

So anyway, it's pretty fun to play around with that.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#20 Old 28th Aug 2017 at 2:06 AM
My Sims wouldn't wear any of those things. Their fashion tastes are pretty conventional, most of the time. With varying degrees of femininity, as seen in these poorly laid out screenshots:

insert signature here
Site Helper
#21 Old 28th Aug 2017 at 3:23 PM
For anybody who doesn't know how to use a spoiler tag, the format is
{spoiler} OR {spoiler=text you want in the spoiler description}Items that are hidden by the spoiler{/spoiler}
with { }replaced by [ ]

This thread is getting to the point where putting pictures in spoiler tags is probably needed.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Mad Poster
#22 Old 30th Aug 2017 at 4:07 PM
Only when there's more than 4 pictures.

insert signature here
Alchemist
#23 Old 19th Sep 2017 at 8:36 PM
I think it's great, if only because I imagine that when you CAN see the sims' teeth who are wearing that lipstick, it turns into a nightmare fueled horror show of double teeth.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Field Researcher
#24 Old 19th Sep 2017 at 10:24 PM
Tbh I think those sims look pretty, though not sure what to say about the buck teeth thing, maybe people weren't even going for that look at its a mistake XD
Mad Poster
#25 Old 19th Sep 2017 at 11:12 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 20th Sep 2017 at 12:01 AM.
It's kind of amazing that with women, there are trends for everything. Even the smallest things. How to walk, how to talk, how to smile, how to pose, what kind of facial expressions to have, what Snap filter to use et cetera...this is why I don't hang out with most women. They're fucking weird. The ones I DO hang out only care about basic bitch shit like which flavour of vape to buy and what flannel shirt to wear (preferably the same one for as long as feasible). Is that not how things should be?

insert signature here
Page 1 of 2