Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 4:06 PM
Default MTS2 Mesh Tool - regarding catalog icons
In the help thread some (including me) complained about not getting icons (or wrong ones) in the buy-catalog. I researched a litte.

It seems to me those icons are generated when sims2 first encounters a new object (identified by it's GUID, I think).

Now, when we change our selfmade object, it's GUID isn't changed and therefore Sims2 sees no need to update the icon.

What can we do? Easy! Open up SimPE and navigate to "my documents\EAGames\Sims2\Thumbnails". There you find a file named ObjectThumbnails.package, open it.

In the "Filetypes"-window click onto "thumbnails".

In the "Packed Files" - list now all thumbnails are listed, a lot of them. Klick onto "offset", to sort them by offset in the package file, since new generated icons are most likely appended at the end of the file. Now choose the tab plugin view and click through the entries starting at the thumbnail at the END of the list. It is most likely that you will find empty thumbs or otherwise wrong ones easy that way. Now just delete them and they will be generated new at the next time you start sims2. (if you do not trust me, you can of course save them before deleting by right-clicking and exporting, grin)

Have fun! :D

happy simming,
Xanathon

Xanathon's Laboratory :: WishList

.: Do not harass me with requests via PM, you will only get ignored :.
.: Don't post my objects or objects derived from them on paysites or the exchange! :.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 4:16 PM
This was also a problem with recolors. You could delete the whole thing and the game should regenerate all of them. (though, do make a backup in case I am mistaken)

ยง
The ModFather
retired moderator
#3 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 4:43 PM
Thanks, Xanathon, this is a really smart advice! When I had trouble with the thumbnails, I always deleted the entire package (the game rebuilds it, as said by trombones). But SimPE's Object Workshop relies on thumbnails to create the list of the recolourable objects, and so I had to rebuild the whole thumbnails database by browsing *all* the items in the catalog, including the "build" ones!
Now I can simply delete the last ones added to the thumbnail package.
Alchemist
#4 Old 1st Feb 2005 at 10:32 AM
There is a copy of the entire default thumbnails package (all of them) in the game install directory. Instead of deleting, it's much better to just copy that one overtop of the old one.
Then, all that has to be created by the game is the new custom ones.
As one extra note, I often have blank icons because I forgot something the first time I tried to test, got a blank one, and the game won't change it unless you A> change the GUID or B> change the filename.
<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 8th Feb 2005 at 4:32 AM
Wow! Two good advices for the price of one! I also used to delete the file and then had to browse through the catalog. Now I'm going to try to just copy the default one on top. Thanks!