Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 9:48 PM
Default Blender bakes parts of multiplier too dark
I have always had this problem when baking with blender. The shadows in certain areas become way too dark as shown in the picture. I wonder if my settings are off or do I just need to manually fix that every time?

Thanks.
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 31st Jan 2018 at 4:15 PM
That's the fun thing of baking stuff in blender, the shadowing. Whenever you're baking something in Blender you do have to mentally prepare yourself to get through the trouble of making any dark shadows lighter. Now most people claim it's the lamps in Blender that do them, so if you make them lighter there should be a change, which I've never experienced. Though I moved on to either doing it myself or using another program (zBrush if curious) rather than using Blender
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Jan 2018 at 6:54 PM
I was hoping really hard that I was simply doing something that I shouldn't have. Oh well, more manual fiddling to me.

Thank you for your help, again!
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#4 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 3:18 AM
Kind of hard to know without more details. Are you using Cycles or Internal render? Approximate or Raytrace? Normalized or not?

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 10:11 AM Last edited by MeowMixPls : 2nd Feb 2018 at 10:25 AM.
"Are you using Cycles or Internal render? Approximate or Raytrace? Normalized or not?"

Uhh, only thing I know what to change is raytrace, I don't know how to manipulate those other settings.

I have tried with raytrace as per orangemitten's tutorial. Also tired these tutorials as well: http://www.kitkatssimporium.com/cre...bake-in-blender and http://wiki.thesimsresource.com/ima...lender_263a.pdf

It doesn't matter if I use your plugin or blender's own bake, I get the same result. Let me show my settings:

I have tried to change the margin anything from 2 to 7 but to no avail, so I have left it at 7 as per the tsr tutorial. My computer is pretty powerful so having many samples is no issue, I could easily get way more than that but would it make any difference?

Also with this table leg I got weird vertical stripes going on on the base of the leg:

I'm wondering is it my meshing? or Uv mapping?

With this table leg I don't know how to "connect" the cylinder with the base so I just pulled the cylinder to the edge of the base and regrouped it. Would that matter?

Thank you for your time!
Echezzman Nwokeoma
staff: senior moderator
#6 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 3:23 PM
Can you send me a PM and attach your file to it so that a take a look. That is if it's OK with you.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 4:27 PM
@AdonisPluto Sure, thanks for that!

I'll put it here as well, just in case.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  MeowMixSquareLeg.zip (135.4 KB, 3 downloads) - View custom content
Virtual gardener
#8 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 7:17 PM
One thing that I occasionally do with Blender is in the gather mode (And I only really do this by using cmomoney's plugin) Is to first set it to 'approxiately' which in my opinion gives a smoother result, go to the 'world' tab, then gather. Make sure you're in the 'approxiately' tab and change 'passes' to 10, or 5, although 10 is a nice one to try. It does seem to make some dark shadows at least dark gray for me most of the time.
Virtual gardener
#9 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 11:12 AM
Okay so I was baking some textures for a upcoming thing I've been working on, and realized something which I kinda feel stupid for not noticing. But given how it's that same system going here (Although mine is a plane, yours is a standard) it could help you a lot probably.

(Don't mind the weird legs thing happening there, that's my bad :P)

So here's an example:

You see in this example, the plane is super close to the bottom. In your case, the standard thingy is right against the pole bit of the table. Now what would happen if we seperate them for... Science?!

As you can see, the shadows have become lighter. I think, especially if they're both loose parts in the mesh, and not attached together, blender could think it's, well, like what you see with what's happening with the plane here. That it's suppose to make darker shadows at the bottom. I did notice that the passes seem to give a good result here as well though I'd go with 5, instead of 10 like I previously recommended. Hope this helps a bit!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 4th Feb 2018 at 3:26 AM
@Lyralei Thank you! will start to experiment!