Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th May 2023 at 6:07 AM
Default PC Sims Wellbeing Doctor mod edits not working?
I've been banging my head against the wall with this one.
I've made some edits to PC Sims Wellbeing Doctor mod - a texture swap for a couple of the items and now I'm trying to adjust the dialogue strings that pop up. I've gone into the files with SimPE and edited the dialogue texts AND confirmed that the default language is set to the same as my pc, as far as I can tell anyways.

However, the edited text that I've added isn't showing up in-game. The text that originally came with the mod shows up instead. I'm pretty certain I've edited every instance of the dialogues in the text files and the BHAV files show these changes as well.
Interestingly, the default lang only button is greyed out so I don't think that that's my issue here.

Otherwise, the mod functions exactly as its supposed to and my texture recolours/swaps show up fine. I'm (obviously) not a modder and only make edits here and there and this one truly has me stumped.
I've uploaded the files here for anyone interested in looking under the hood to help me see what I'm missing. The two files that contain the dialogue texts specifically are Helen Heal 1 and Medical card for Wellbeing doctor. The files have my edited text in them, but it won't show up in game - I believe the original mod author was Russian but this mod was a (really rough) English version here is a link for the original mod file on simfilesshare, scroll down to Doctor.rar and Chemistry Kiosk and Medicines.rar - both of these are required.

Thank you in advance!
Cheers
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 8th May 2023 at 1:20 PM
Have you tried deleting "Accessory.cache" and "Groups.cache" in \Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 before starting your game? Sometimes these files can mess with edits to files.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th May 2023 at 3:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by vegan_kaktus
Have you tried deleting "Accessory.cache" and "Groups.cache" in \Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 before starting your game? Sometimes these files can mess with edits to files.

I play with the RPC which does this automatically everytime you start up, so yes I have, and no, it doesn't help.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 8th May 2023 at 4:04 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 8th May 2023 at 4:18 PM.
The mediafire folder link won't open for me. Could be you haven't set the folder to be shared publicly or some such. Can you try uploading a direct link to the file?

Did you edit the Text List called "Dialog"?
Did you edit the Pie Menu Strings (TTAs)?
Did you edit the Catalog Description (CTSS)?
Did you click "Commit" after editing each resource?

The "Default Lang" button being greyed out means that editing the default English language (whatever you put in that box) should show for all games regardless of language. If you happen to want translations, you'd need to add those back in.

(I've only looked at the original files, and for whatever reason, the "Helen Heal 1" file keeps giving me an error when I open it, not sure why).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th May 2023 at 5:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
The mediafire folder link won't open for me. Could be you haven't set the folder to be shared publicly or some such. Can you try uploading a direct link to the file?

Did you edit the Text List called "Dialog"?
Did you edit the Pie Menu Strings (TTAs)?
Did you edit the Catalog Description (CTSS)?
Did you click "Commit" after editing each resource?

The "Default Lang" button being greyed out means that editing the default English language (whatever you put in that box) should show for all games regardless of language. If you happen to want translations, you'd need to add those back in.

(I've only looked at the original files, and for whatever reason, the "Helen Heal 1" file keeps giving me an error when I open it, not sure why).

Heal 1 Medical Card for Wellbeing try these links, don't know why the other link won't work, the file is definitely marked for sharing. Try those and see if they work.

I always commit after changes, it was the dialog text list I edited. I'll check the others.
*EDIT* The pie menu strings relate to clicking on the object, don't need to change those. And nothing in the CTSS apparently. I also get the error when opening but then it opens anyways after I click okay. I think it may be a language issue since the original mod was made on a Russian language pc.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 8th May 2023 at 5:40 PM
(Huh, maybe I'm just having an off-day with Mediafire. It doesn't want to open any links for me today - not just yours, and on multiple browsers. Probably just a bug, since Mediafire usually opens fine for me).

Have you made sure that you don't have extra copies of any of the original files in your Downloads folder?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th May 2023 at 7:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
(Huh, maybe I'm just having an off-day with Mediafire. It doesn't want to open any links for me today - not just yours, and on multiple browsers. Probably just a bug, since Mediafire usually opens fine for me).

Have you made sure that you don't have extra copies of any of the original files in your Downloads folder?

Hoo boy, you're not the only one having an off day XD
As it turns out, I got all my mod files mixed up. I edited one unrelated to the mod I was actually wanting to tinker with. Editing the correct file, magically, has worked lol!

Thank you for your willingness to assist!
Cheers