Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Feb 2023 at 3:29 AM
Default Guess Sims 4 MEH Homes Are Not That Bad?
Watching TV last night, and thought I know that person when he came on. And then it came up that was Clint Bassinger! In new home he was told"Goodnight, it's bedtime" and then clicks. He was locked into his house. Guess "smart" homes can be PITA and maybe Sims "dumb" ones are OK! LOL

https://www.reddit.com/r/LGR/commen...ortunately_its/
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2 Old 19th Feb 2023 at 5:06 PM Last edited by daisylee : 21st Feb 2023 at 5:49 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
What a weird reason to make the news. Also, how rude of the previous owners for not leaving instructions on how to disable the alarm system. I digress.

I don't stand around sniffing the air or any of the dumb things the TS4 bauble heads do, but I don't let technology run my house either. I know how to get up and turn on a light, use a deadbolt lock on my doors, I control my thermostat for my house, ect... I also don't leave things like computers and other gadgets on "Stand By". Stand By is not the same as shutting a gadget off. There is no trolling Amazon Alexa in my house, no robot vacuums; I think everybody gets the idea.

Real estate disclosure forms will need to be amended to ask that!

I am the same. I can do the things on my own. I do not have Alexa, roomba, etc. There is a thermostat at house I inherited and I keep trying to reset it and it will not do so far. Drives me nuts! I need to find a manual somehow.

On show where saw him hostess said she goes nuts as cannot change temp in bedroom unless gets on ipad, has to enter pw, and then head to place to adjust.

Some things were just fine as in past IMO. I also think there is too much in cars now and major distraction for drivers and not really safe that people use when driving.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 20th Feb 2023 at 5:21 PM
I have a robot vacuum but it has a regular remote, so no Wifi needed. With everything else, I refuse to let Alexa and their ilk in my house. I'm very creeped out by the thought of talking to my phone or other devices. I really hope, once I will remodel my kitchen, there will still be fridges that are offline. A lot of this is stupid and pointless. Here we are, trying to control every small aspect of our lives while slowly losing control of our own space. Clint's experience just shows that.
Unless I become completely immobile in my old age, I will still get up and turn off my lights, set my thermostat, open the fridge door to check what I need, and go push a button or two to play some music. And yes, turn off the devices completely. Stand-by costs electricity, that money adds up over the years.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 20th Feb 2023 at 8:20 PM
What I do wish is if we could telepathetically turn on/off lights or set them to Autolights, either individual, per room, and all in real life. Would be very useful when you're already in bed and forget to flick their lightswitch.

(Come to think of it, maybe the thing that happen to Clint is equivalent what we do in doors as deities: Click on the door to lock Sims in )

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Instructor
#5 Old 21st Feb 2023 at 3:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
What I do wish is if we could telepathetically turn on/off lights or set them to Autolights, either individual, per room, and all in real life. Would be very useful when you're already in bed and forget to flick their lightswitch.

What about lights that react to clapping? That used to be quite the thing in the late 90's, early 2000's. They reacted to the number of times you clapped your hands. On, dim, dimmer or off. I hope they still exist! They were pretty useful.

A fool and his money are soon parted. ~ Thomas Tusser
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 21st Feb 2023 at 5:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Dixieland
What about lights that react to clapping? That used to be quite the thing in the late 90's, early 2000's. They reacted to the number of times you clapped your hands. On, dim, dimmer or off. I hope they still exist! They were pretty useful.

I remember those and who knows, may still have one somewhere? And my parents had little clicker at top of stairs to turn light on downstairs.

I am old, and admit it, but think too many want too much to be done for them now. It is good to do things for yourself. And IMO when in UK they pulled non digital clocks out of schools as students could not read them, that was pretty pathetic.

And not sure if they even teach cursive now, and supposedly many a cannot read it now.

Sad............ that education and so on is so dumbed down now. And are students even taught to do actual math now? Or is it just pull out a calculator and they could not do on own, especially something like long division?
Instructor
#7 Old 21st Feb 2023 at 6:46 AM Last edited by Dixieland : 21st Feb 2023 at 7:51 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee

I am old, and admit it, but think too many want too much to be done for them now. It is good to do things for yourself. And IMO when in UK they pulled non digital clocks out of schools as students could not read them, that was pretty pathetic.

And not sure if they even teach cursive now, and supposedly many a cannot read it now.

Sad............ that education and so on is so dumbed down now. And are students even taught to do actual math now? Or is it just pull out a calculator and they could not do on own, especially something like long division?

I know what you mean! People give me the weirdest looks when they see that I'm reading an actual book, not holding a tablet or glued to a "smart" phone. Oh, and when they catch sight of the legal pads I carry around with me! That really makes them stare. Writing by hand? And in cursive! What is this madness!?

I'm nearly 32, and have yet to find common ground with anyone my own age. With the way things are going, I'm starting to doubt I ever will.

Edit: About the calculator? Around where I live, most of the folks (either my age, fifteen years older than me, or fifteen years younger than me) DO NOT have the faintest idea about what a calculator even is. They use their "smart" phones for everything.

And as for cursive? The last time I experienced it being taught in school was when I was in second grade and eight years old. That was a private school, we moved later that year and I was switched over to a public one--and the less said about the quality of its education system, the better.

I think I can safely attribute my love of reading and writing solely to the influence of my mother, who had the presence of mind to eventually yank me out of public school. She then proceeded to homeschool me. The public school was not happy about it and actually tried to fight the decision, but it was the best thing to ever happen to me. It was like I could see the sky for the first time in years.

A fool and his money are soon parted. ~ Thomas Tusser
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 21st Feb 2023 at 1:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Dixieland
I know what you mean! People give me the weirdest looks when they see that I'm reading an actual book ... DO NOT have the faintest idea about what a calculator even is. They use their "smart" phones for everything.

I only want books also. Tried a kindle from library and did not like at all. And do not get me started about people being siamese twins with the phones now. I think it is going to be harmful overall in long run as too many people are actually addicted to them, and too many people do not seem to be able to communicate with people in real world now, or even deal with it. I think is quite sad actually. There some good things, but IMO many are too dependent on them.

I am on a PC now with a full keyboard and 22 inch monitor. There is NO way I would be on a phone for things like this, or about anything.