Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Mar 2013 at 9:28 AM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 9th Mar 2013 at 11:03 AM.
Default Roofing Help
My week point is building roofs so of course I took on a house with diagonals...
I've tackled this left corner lower and upper roof every which way I can think of.

None of the roofs look good.

Right now I have it like this with flat tile and edging.

I'm not sure about the spire either but I can't think what else to try.

Does this look passable? I think I've been staring at it too long.

Another way.

It does get some tiny pale points when looked at at certain angles.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 9th Mar 2013 at 6:13 PM
Personally I think it looks good with the flat roof with the edging. I'd also go for the spire, maybe make the spire a whole storey taller, like a tower. A further bit of advice I would offer is that you also make a post for this house in the Creator Feedback Forum; http://www.modthesims.info/fd.php?f=473 Far more people will be able to help you there. You've got a good design so far though
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Mar 2013 at 9:04 PM
Thanks, I really love the inside floor plan. I have the outside as the last picture shows now and I'm not too unhappy with the diagonal gable, but a tower is a neat idea. I'm thinking it's possible to make the tower wall only 4 clicks high using constraint floor? I'm sure I've seen it just haven't used it up high like that. I debated if I should put the thread here or over on creators feedback, and put it here hoping there would be more builders pursuing the threads. Think I'll make one there about the tower possibilities. That will make it look quite different to the original look of the house, but sims 2 won't allow me to build the roof that way anyway. I'd try it in sims 3 but I can't see the grid lines too well to build in there.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#4 Old 11th Mar 2013 at 2:47 PM Last edited by jones7659 : 11th Mar 2013 at 2:49 PM. Reason: had another thought
I agree that you should keep the spire, and either make it a floor higher or like you said you could CFE it and make it just high enough to blend into the adjoining roof, or make the roofing sections that are touching it hipped roof instead. The flat porch roof is probably the best option. And I also agree that it would be good to toss this over to CFF. Sometimes you don't get many comments, but it never hurts I really like this house from what I can see so far. Also just a heads up, I submitted my app for the Veronaville cycle of the home makeover contest yesterday. Don't know when it'll be approved, or if it will, though I don't see why not since the first cycle was, lol.

*Edit* Just had a thought, you could try building a freeze under the spire roof, that would raise it 4 clicks
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Mar 2013 at 3:17 PM
I posted this on creators feedback, got no replies so posted at Leefish and everyone there said gable so I've started decorating the gable, lol maybe I need two versions.

I've read a bit about freezes, but I don't have any idea how to make that. I worked the tower out myself using the modular stairs to lower it and made the roof cone lower. Also on reloading the wonkiness I mention on CFF fixed itself. I can attach a garage, curve a bridge- anything basic, but I'd need a good tutorial for anything else.

~Call me Jo~
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#6 Old 11th Mar 2013 at 3:21 PM Last edited by jones7659 : 11th Mar 2013 at 3:25 PM. Reason: Brain fart
Freezes are really simple, they work just like foundation, except they sit on top of walls. It's worth playing around with. Maybe not for this house, if you've already worked it out, but don't be afraid to try them out in the future

*Edit* This is what happens when you play both games...freezes are a TS3 thing, lol. So nevermind what I said, haha.