Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Nov 2006 at 1:49 PM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 1st Dec 2006 at 1:40 PM. Reason: removed attachment
Default Shadow Problem with Counters
Hey Guys,

I used Numenor's Counter template to make a new set of counters.
I followed the instructions and they work fine. Except the shadows.
They keep coming up White.

I hid the shadows that are in the counter mesh parts because of this, but I needed to alter the Wall shadows because I removed the Backsplash.
I tried importing to new shadows as an OBJ, and also by extracting and replacing... but they are still white.

They worked fine before I changed them, and I didn't change anything else with the shadows but the mesh parts themselves... didn't touch the UV map, just hid the shadows that were showing on the countertop.

Since there is no Material Definition and I can't find where/how the shadows are being linked (even when they were working), I have no idea what to do here short of adding the backsplash back on, since the original shadows from the template don't look right with the backless countertop.

Thanks for any help you can give me!
Screenshots

TSR Featured Artist
Monster Party Sims2... ITS ALIVE! :D

You may recolor my object meshes here on MTS2, but do not redistribute the meshes.
Link people here to MTS2 to get them. Objects can only be available in lots submitted to MTS2.
Advertisement
Part-time Hermit
#2 Old 11th Nov 2006 at 6:34 PM
The counter seems to borrow its shadows from the original Maxis counter. If you want to alter them in any way, you will need to import your own material definitions and textures and link them within the package. My subset adding tutorial should come in handy for that if necessary .
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Nov 2006 at 7:13 PM
Ah... I wondered if I was able to do that or not because of the template.
I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

TSR Featured Artist

You may recolor my object meshes here on MTS2, but do not redistribute the meshes.
Link people here to MTS2 to get them. Objects can only be available in lots submitted to MTS2.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#4 Old 11th Nov 2006 at 11:53 PM
MaryLou had a really bad time when creating with me the counters for the CounterCulture, WayCoolinary and ChezMoi sets: those damn shadows always turned white as soon as they were touched or edited in any way.
Eventually, MaryLou had to replace all the shadows with custom ones, but the result is still not perfect: in some cases, the wallshadow is visible when there is no wall next to the counter.

I believe that the shadows have a special treatments in the game, because they have to be turned on and off regarding the walls around. The groundshadow, of course, never needs to be turned off, but they use anyway this unexplicable system that makes them white when edited.

I'm sorry, but I don't have a solution to offer, apart from suggesting to look into the custom counters named above (the Multi-Junctions are particularli interesting, because they contain many alternative shadows).

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Nov 2006 at 3:49 PM
Thanks Numenor! I'm glad to know its not just me... which I was thinking may be the problem. LOL!

I'll take a peek into the counters you mentioned. I might just hide the wall shadows entirely and keep the ground one for a bit of realism... since with a flat countertop the wall shadows barely show anyway.

TSR Featured Artist

The ModFather
retired moderator
#6 Old 12th Nov 2006 at 8:33 PM
Removing completely the wallshadows was an option we considered, too. But then MaryLou (that often is more anal then me! ) decided that she would try and replace/fix the shadows for the 100th time
I call her "Mistress of the Shadows" since then!

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Nov 2006 at 2:55 PM
Well usually I'm really picky myself. But I have another personality trait that over-rides my anal retentive problem... impatience.

So I "hid" all the shadows, and didn't alter or replace the "ground shadow" mesh part. Checked it in the game and what do you know... the ground shadow is working just fine now... stupid anal Sims game. LOL!

TSR Featured Artist

Locked thread | Locked by: IgnorantBliss Reason: problem solved