Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Nov 2006 at 7:22 PM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 1st Dec 2006 at 1:39 PM. Reason: removed attachment
Default toddler bed texture will not work
I've been working on a toddler nursery set, it looks AWESOME! but I can't get the most important part to work, the toddler bed. I've cloned a crib and built my toddler bed in milkshape. I've followed every tutorial I could find that was relevant to my problem, and it still looks the same. I'll show you the uv map, texture map, and I'll also post the .package file. If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 10th Nov 2006 at 12:34 AM
You have several issues with this package.
1) your internal file name is not unique enough. When cloning SimPE includes a string that helps keep it unique enough. Your package name should be more unique also.
2) mesh in the package has not been uv mapped properly
3) not sure if it's a problem or not, but you probably shouldn't have spaces in interanal file names.

Eclectic Sims The place for your younger sims and unique animated items!
Charmed Sims Archives Gorgeous Clothing, Furnishings and more.
Two great sites ALL FREE NOW!!!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Nov 2006 at 12:40 AM Last edited by cwin1024 : 10th Nov 2006 at 2:56 AM.
thank you for taking a look at it. Are the problems you listed the reason why it looks like it does? I'll go ahead and fix them and let you know if it works or not.

Updated*

I guess I don't really know how to uvmap it. I have read over every article I can find about uvmapping, and I'm at a loss. Is there any way you could give me some idea of how to uvmap this? It would be so appreciated.

I've redone the entire thing, so the uploads are no longer what I'm working with, but it's still the same basic idea. the bed is still exactly the same, except I changed the pillow, and I left it into 3 groups this time: frame, mattress, and pillow. That's all I got so far. It's still sitting in uvmapper waiting for me to begin.
Instructor
#4 Old 10th Nov 2006 at 4:01 AM
In another thread in here I prepared a UV mapping research object with some hints and included errors to find, maybe this will be helpful for you, too. If you want take a look at post #8 and try/play around with it. Maybe the whole thread might be intersting for you...
You have to increase the mapping area for the frame and increase the area for the texture - if you play with the file from the link you may find out how and why

Yes, I am serious though I'm not serious at all. I'm serious about this!
Even the joker can be deadly serious...
Wichtig ist, was hinten raus kommt!
Entscheidend daran ist, wie?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Nov 2006 at 8:23 PM
Thanks to everyone who has tried to help me so far.

I've uploaded the new version that is still having the same problem as the last even after I fixed the problems that SnowStorm listed in post #2. However, I did not do the uvmap right this time either, because I just don't know how. I've tried about 10 different ways, the one I'm posting is only the last one I tried. I need a better idea of how to do it. Please, this is very important to me. I'm on day 6. Thank you in advance.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  penylanetoddlerbed.zip (105.0 KB, 10 downloads) - View custom content
Instructor
#6 Old 10th Nov 2006 at 11:00 PM
What you show as your uvmap would probably give you what you are looking for. But the mesh in your package is not uvmapped that way. Are you saving your updated uv coordinates to your obj and getting that data back into the package?

What are your exact steps from mapping to finished package?

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Nov 2006 at 11:52 PM Last edited by cwin1024 : 11th Nov 2006 at 12:06 AM.
I know this makes me sound kinda dumb, but I dont' know what you mean by saving my updated uv cooridintes to my obj. But anyway, here are the steps I've taken as you asked:

After I complete my mesh in milkshape, I regroup the mesh into 3 groups: frame, mattress, and pillow as they are all to be different textures. Then I saved it as penylanetoddlerbedtomap.

This last uvmap was done like this: I selected each group and moved them to different parts of the screen, then I used planar/y for the pillow, planar/z for the frame, and box/don't split for the mattress. Like I said before, this was just a guess. Then I clicked save model and saved it over my penylanetoddlerbedtomap, and clicked "save texture map" and saved it as the suggested name (penylanetoddlerbedtomap.bmp)

Then I went back into milkshape and renamed my three groups to match the three groups of the maxis crib which are bedding, frame, and frame. I exported it once more saving it over the original package (penylanetoddlerbed_root_rot_gmdc).

Then in paint shop, I opened my uvmap, changed it to RGB color, copied my uvmap to have a second one, and I colored directly onto the copy. Then I flattened the layers, and copied my entire second copy of the uvmap, and pasted it onto the actual uvmap as a new layer. Then I flattened the layers, and saved it as PNG file with the name "toddler bed txtr".

Then in simpe, I imported the new mesh I had just created, replaced the bedding with bedding, the first frame (the actual frame) with the actual frame of the crib, and replaced the pillow with the front frame of the crib. In every step, I gave everything a unique name and left out all spaces because I wasn't quite sure what part you were talking about, so I thought it best to be safe.

Ok, then I clicked "fix integrity", and went to object data and registered the GUID, updating all MMAT's, and I registered the GUID for all other parts, and Changed the price to $10, and then I imported the texture map, clicked "update all sizes" and then commit. then I changed the catalog discription and saved my package to my downloads folder.
Instructor
#8 Old 11th Nov 2006 at 1:33 AM
1) You make no mention of importing the updated obj back into milkshape before you regroup/rename the groups and export. If you never import the obj file you uvmapped in your uvmapper program, then the uv coords will never get updated in your package.
2) I always recommend having before and after files, don't overwrite your work files (objs) as you never know when you might need a previous version.
3) You don't mention which method you are using for import export of the data between milkshape and simpe, is it unimesh or obj?
4) When you cloned the item it automatically does a scenegraph rename & fix integrity. It should have added a -[xxxxxx] string, either a long alphanumeric string, or your user name and datetimestamp. You should leave this on. You can change the beginning of the string to something appropriate if you like.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 11th Nov 2006 at 3:33 AM
Thank you so much SnowStorm, you've been very helpful, and I'm very greatful to you for taking the time to explain this to me. I've finally got the darn thing to work correctly using a tutorial I found for texture mapping in milkshape. It was so much easer than using uvmapper, and the texture still looks great. Your advice also helped a lot too, and I did fix the problems you listed. Thank you so much!
Instructor
#10 Old 11th Nov 2006 at 3:58 AM
Not a problem. That first item can be a pain, until you get a hang of the process.

Locked thread | Locked by: IgnorantBliss Reason: problem solved