Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Oct 2004 at 2:40 AM
Default Bump mapping
My game seems not to handle bump mapping. i tried adding several bumps into textures, and have seen no change into the game.
Just with very strong contrast (i mean into the map itself) i can see a slight difference.
Maybe i just have to tweak some settings, but i have no idea... there is no option into graphic settings saying "bumpmapping" or sort of, at least in the italian version of the game.
I messed around with config files with no success.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 30th Oct 2004 at 3:18 PM
Bump mapping is a way to have detailed 3d models without high poly count models, however its a small detail that most of the time is not noticed.

If the card support it, it support it ... its not something that can be turn on or off since that is set on mesh and the textures.

Instructor
#3 Old 30th Oct 2004 at 4:46 PM
What Drakron means is that a "bump map" is just an image file, like a skin file or a transparency setting. Depending on the colors in that image file you get the illusion of a more 3d surface.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 30th Oct 2004 at 10:50 PM
Excuse me but Drakron meant just what he said. Besides, Resio knows what the bump map is; it's just not showing up. Anyway what have colours got to do with the normals? I didn't think colours had any bearing on it.

Drakron said "its not something that can be turn on or off".

I beg to differ. My video card can enable or disable bump mapping.
Instructor
#5 Old 30th Oct 2004 at 10:55 PM
Oh aren't we nice again today, snazza

Colors as in shades of grey.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 30th Oct 2004 at 11:26 PM
Sorry Rockerduck Will you forgive me?
[ Edited Sat Oct 30 2004, 03:54PM ]
Original Poster
#7 Old 31st Oct 2004 at 1:26 AM
I have re-installed the game and everything works fine now.

I was just trying to create a transparent swimsuit and protrude nipples for better nude look, but it seems making the texture transparent makes the bump go.
I guess there is no solution for that, unless i find the way to apply bump maps directly to the nude skin.
Instructor
#8 Old 31st Oct 2004 at 1:22 AM
Please note that not all Sims 2 meshes have bump mapping (or at least Bodyshop is not extracting the bump map .bmp for us to work with).

A mesh with a bump map come with 3 .bmp files, I dont recall their names but the bump map .bmp looks like a greyscale version of the one with colors.
Original Poster
#9 Old 31st Oct 2004 at 7:40 PM
I know i know... i am working on adding bump map to those textures that don't use them in the original.
i believe i can edit materials definitions to make it but i'm still missing something to make it work correctly.