Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 3:50 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Somehow, I messed up my downloaded files
Let me say this before I start asking my question, because I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea. I am in no way blaming the tools I used to mess up my files. I am blaming me. I just don't know where I made the mistake, and how to fix it.

Okay, here's what happened. I was trying to sort my downloads and fix my recolors before I go buy S2U next week. My 1st step was to update simPE. Then I sorted them this way: seperate subfolders called recolors, hacks and mods, homecrafter. Genetics, clothes, and other "unknown" files I left in them main folder. I used SimsPE to change them. It seemed to be very easy. I opened up the "scan folders" option under "plugins", then scrolled through my files, and anything that said "recolor" I told it to make EP ready. Click, click, done. I have almost 3,000 files, but most of them are genetics and clothes. Yes, I'm a little of a clothes horse. LOL The icon changed on my files to the new simsPE icon, but I don't think that makes a diffrence. Also, I have two copies of all the recolors. One does not seem to have changed, and the other one is has .bak added to its name.

Booted up my game, and it got to the 1st screen after the movie, then gave me an error pop-up telling me the game had crashed and windows was closing the application. So, I take out the recolors. Still have the same problem. I took everything out but some clothes, still crashed. Finally I uninstalled the game, did a disk cleanup and defrag, then reinstalled. It worked fine until I added the downloads back.

So, I either start from scratch on my downloads (sob!) or go without.

Anyone have any advice. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, or if it's been asked before, or if it's in the wrong place. I've worked on this for the past two evenings, and I am stuck! And about to cry!!
Advertisement
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#2 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 4:01 AM
Kristalrose, did you make a back up of your Downloads directory BEFORE you applied the batch fix? You shouldn't use SimPE to categorize your files. Use the Clean installer.

Also the .bak file is the back up of the original recolor. SimPE makes this back up for you automatically. You can turn it off in the options.

If you made a back up of your Downloads, I recommend you restore to that and then use Clean Installer and sort your files that way. Then use SimPE to fix them. However, at this point, I advice that you do not fix them and just redownload. Quaxi recommended this on the SimPE website - leave the fixing to the creator themselves.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 4:04 AM
Well, maybe all is not lost......the files you talked about in the folders with the .bak extension.......those are backups of the files SimPE changed......so, you might try taking out the files that are not "bak" files and then removing the "bak" from the end of the files left.......this should put you back to where you were before you did your conversions......

Also, I was not aware you could have all the sub folders within the "downloads" folder.....I only have one......."Hacks"......all my hacks are in here and the clothing is in the main "Downloads" folder.......

Unless you made a backup of your downloads folder before you started, this might be worth a try.....

tug
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 4:24 AM Last edited by kristalrose : 23rd Feb 2005 at 4:27 AM. Reason: @#$#@ typos! It's late and I'm tired. LOL
Quote: Originally posted by daysies
Kristalrose, did you make a back up of your Downloads directory BEFORE you applied the batch fix? You shouldn't use SimPE to categorize your files. Use the Clean installer.

Also the .bak file is the back up of the original recolor. SimPE makes this back up for you automatically. You can turn it off in the options.

If you made a back up of your Downloads, I recommend you restore to that and then use Clean Installer and sort your files that way. Then use SimPE to fix them. However, at this point, I advice that you do not fix them and just redownload. Quaxi recommended this on the SimPE website - leave the fixing to the creator themselves.

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. Well, now that you mention it, I backed up the wrong file! I did the neighborhood backup, not the downloads folder. So, there's mistake #1. Geeze, I feel dumb!

And I'm sorry, I wasn't clear about how I sorted. I used Clean Installer for that. I have no problem redownloading my recolors, but shouldn't my homecrafter and bodyshop files still work? Because they crash the game, too.
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#5 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 4:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kristalrose
Wow, thanks for the quick reply. Well, now that you mention it, I backed up the wrong file! I did the neighborhood backup, not the downloads folder. So, there's mistake #1. Geeze, I feel dumb!

And I'm sorry, I wasn't clear about how I sorted. I used Clean Installer for that. I have no problem redownloading my recolors, but shouldn't my homecrafter and bodyshop files still work? Because they crash the game, too.

Oh, crap, Kristalrose! Yikes! Well, I hope a lesson was learned throughout all this.

You shouldn't have to fix clothing or walls or floors or anything made by Maxis tools: Body Shop and HomeCrafter Plus. They are compatible with every EP.

DDO
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 4:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tugbug
Well, maybe all is not lost......the files you talked about in the folders with the .bak extension.......those are backups of the files SimPE changed......so, you might try taking out the files that are not "bak" files and then removing the "bak" from the end of the files left.......this should put you back to where you were before you did your conversions......

Also, I was not aware you could have all the sub folders within the "downloads" folder.....I only have one......."Hacks"......all my hacks are in here and the clothing is in the main "Downloads" folder.......

Unless you made a backup of your downloads folder before you started, this might be worth a try.....

tug

It was my understanding that you could have subfolders in your downloads folder as long as you left the body-shop type files (clothes, genetics, that sort of things) in the main folder. I've even heard of people making subfolders for their collections or for colorschemes or whatever so they are easier to clean out. Since I have so many files, I thought it would be easier.

Y'all, I'm just sick about this. :weep: Here it is 11:30, I have to work tomorrow, I've worked on this project for two evenings now, and I'm just sick! I'll try what you suggested, Tug, about taking the .back off the files. Thanks for the advice.
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#7 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 4:34 AM
Y'all, I'm just sick about this. :weep: Here it is 11:30, I have to work tomorrow, I've worked on this project for two evenings now, and I'm just sick! I'll try what you suggested, Tug, about taking the .back off the files. Thanks for the advice.

Kristalrose - don't just take the .bak off. You have to rename it back to .package. So make sure it's not .bak.package or something like that. SimPE renames it to .bak. So make sure you just right-click on the file, select rename, and type .package directly on top of .bak. Maybe all is not lost! :D

DDO
Field Researcher
#8 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 4:52 AM
Holds both thumbs for kristalrose and hope it works

:howdy:
Field Researcher
#9 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 4:54 AM
I have all of my files except for the recolor enabler package and skin, clothing, genetics files in the main folder, but all hacks, objects, (careers, till i took them all out and didn't readd them, they seem to cause lots of problems) are in subfolders. Everything seems fine in the subfolders, haven't found anything to not show up, except maybe files that won't even show up if in the main folder.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 4:57 AM
So, I either start from scratch on my downloads (sob!) or go without.

Wow, that sucks.
:jk:
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 24th Feb 2005 at 1:31 AM
Okay, here's the latest developments.

I remove the downloads folder and the game loads.
I add any of the files back, even genetics that I did not alter, and it crashes. The files have diffrent icons now, the SimsPE Icon instead of the Sims icon. So, I unistalled SimsPE. Now the computer says it doesn't recognize the files at all!

So, I am going to download some fresh files and see if it starts. I'm not completely throwing the other ones away, though. I just moved that copy of the folder.
Test Subject
#12 Old 24th Feb 2005 at 5:11 AM
I've had this same problem happen. I did the whole batch fix for SimPE and now everything is crashing, just like yours did. Unfortunately I have no idea what .bak files are, how to rename files, or anything like that, so I'm afraid I don't quite understand what I can do to fix it. If I delete everything in my downloads folder and start from scratch, will that fix the crashing problem? I suppose I can just reinstall..everything...