Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Nov 2005 at 12:40 PM
Default Work days off glitch
Hi guys

Recently the Angel and Demon careers have been having a small problem- work days are being counted as normal days, and so sims are losing work day performance. This thread is a way to help get to the root of the problem. possible causes of this problme-

1. The two careers are very closely linked, and the game is merging them together and getting confused.

2. A global hack is messing them up (but why then would only this career be affected?)

3. Anotehr career is messing with the files (but again, why wouldn't it mess with otehr careers?)

These are the three possible causes, and I really want to know what's going on. If we can get testers involved, and people to report back, this task will be moved along much faster

Many thanks,

SuperFly

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 13th Nov 2005 at 12:46 PM
Hi SuperFly!

Ok, this is how it went for me:

- played the Angel career and the problem occured
- put your files in, nothing changed, problem happened
- replaced your files with the original ones, problem happened again
- took out the demon career file out
- changed nothing else in the game, ie download folder, including the hacks
- played the Sim again, and the problem did not happen this time

I can test what ever you want, if you wish I can do a switch and take out the angel one, while leaving the demon one and see if it works.
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Nov 2005 at 12:53 PM
Thanks Ashen That's brilliant. Can you pelase do the same with the demon one? If you get the same results, then we'll know for sure that the game is reading them incorrectly or something.

Thanks again,

SuperFly

Field Researcher
#4 Old 13th Nov 2005 at 3:12 PM
Weirdness is all I can say. Ok so:

- took out the angel one, put in the demon one
- had my Sim switch jobs and no problems at all.

So it seemed fine there, but the I got curious so:

- put back the angel one in, so both were there
- no problems still for the demon one
- made him switch jobs and no problems for the angel one either.

Tried it out for a few days, and now nothing, even though they are both in the game now. Weirdness. It was as if having read the single career, it didn't matter afterwards if I added the other one too. I think somebody else should give it a try too, to see if this is happening the same way.
Instructor
#5 Old 13th Nov 2005 at 6:21 PM
So possibly you just need to install one career, run the game once, then install the second one? That's so funky. Just my luck to discover a bizarre undocumented glitch with my very first mod. XD

I am wondering whether my best bet for making sure this doesn't keep happening would be to rebuild one of the careers starting with a different base career. Although if Ashen's fix works for others, maybe I could get away with just adding a note to the download thread to install them one at a time...
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 13th Nov 2005 at 9:40 PM
Very possibly Amber. However, we really need more peope to test to see if this works. It does seem a very strange glitch... I'm creating a set of double careers at the moment- I'll see if I get the same little blip coming up.

Instructor
#7 Old 13th Nov 2005 at 11:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SuperFly
Very possibly Amber. However, we really need more peope to test to see if this works. It does seem a very strange glitch... I'm creating a set of double careers at the moment- I'll see if I get the same little blip coming up.

Okay. In case it's relevant, I made the base package from the Politics career following Psion's tutorial, made it EP-ready as per *that* tutorial, built the Angel career, then once it was working I just switched the work days, times and text around and put in the new GUID and Group ID for Demon. (I had the base game and Uni installed at the time, and added Nightlife after both careers were mostly done.)
Field Researcher
#8 Old 15th Nov 2005 at 9:55 AM
SuperFly, I have a little question - when I download careers I usually do not put more than one at a time into the game, for safety reasons - if something happens I know that's it and easy to fix.

Has anyone tried putting two at one time, based on the same career? I was just wondering, maybe this isn't so isolated.
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th Nov 2005 at 5:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ashen
SuperFly, I have a little question - when I download careers I usually do not put more than one at a time into the game, for safety reasons - if something happens I know that's it and easy to fix.

Has anyone tried putting two at one time, based on the same career? I was just wondering, maybe this isn't so isolated.

Based on the same career? I don't think that this works I'm afraid. All my careers (bar one) are creted from the slacker career as a base, and I store them all in my game- so far no-one has reported any error regarding this glitch.

Amber, I think that you should ask people to follow the steps Ashen took. It seems to me that this is the best solution we have.

I was thinking about this a bit today. It struck me as really strange that out of the 1000+ people who have downloaded the two career, only a few (less than 10) have found the error. This is a rather significant glitch, so I don't know why people aren't reporting it. I had a problem with a carpool guid in alchemy, and lots of people reported it. Why not so with this career strikes me as rather strange. I think we need more feedback.

SuperFly

Field Researcher
#10 Old 15th Nov 2005 at 10:09 PM
No, what I meant was - when you get new careers did you try putting them two at a time? I also have many of those, and no problems at all, but I have always added one at a time. This was the first time actually that I put two at once and this popped up and the solution that worked for me was to put them in one at a time and now it doesn;t seem to matter they are both there.
Instructor
#11 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 12:15 AM
Based on the same career? I don't think that this works I'm afraid. All my careers (bar one) are creted from the slacker career as a base, and I store them all in my game- so far no-one has reported any error regarding this glitch.

Amber, I think that you should ask people to follow the steps Ashen took. It seems to me that this is the best solution we have.

I was thinking about this a bit today. It struck me as really strange that out of the 1000+ people who have downloaded the two career, only a few (less than 10) have found the error. This is a rather significant glitch, so I don't know why people aren't reporting it. I had a problem with a carpool guid in alchemy, and lots of people reported it. Why not so with this career strikes me as rather strange. I think we need more feedback.

SuperFly

Well, we don't really know how many people have downloaded just one or the other; or how many have downloaded both but installed them the same way Ashen did, or simply haven't tried out either one yet. I'm still wondering whether there could be something about certain peoples' game configurations or systems that make them prone to the glitch where other people aren't...
Test Subject
#12 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 5:10 PM
I see what Ashen is saying on this matter. I also see what SuperFly is saying. Ashen, your concerns may be on the right track. Superfly, do you build any of your Career back to back as the Angel/Demon one seems to have been? Perhaps it's not so much that the careers stem from the same career, as it is they were constructed at such closely related times, that perhaps, somehow, the game is looking at them as the same career, and only when installed seperately between game start intervals could it view them as seperate careers. Of course, this is just a complete shot in the dark....
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
Original Poster
#13 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 8:12 PM
Ashen, Geiyu- As it happens, I'm working on a double career myself, with both of them being created at the same time. What puzzles me is why they would conflict. See, although they have close guids, to a computer they should be completely different; no conflicting. I think that once my own back to back careers are done, we shall see if the same problem pops up. If so, we know why. If not- back to the drawing board...

Lab Assistant
#14 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 1:36 AM
Hi Amber and Superfly

I just want to tell you that I finally have time to try out Ashen's method. I took out demon career, put in Angel career independently and I still have the same problem of the game reporting miss work on days off.
Instructor
#15 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 1:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by earl2blue
Hi Amber and Superfly

I just want to tell you that I finally have time to try out Ashen's method. I took out demon career, put in Angel career independently and I still have the same problem of the game reporting miss work on days off.

Well, drat. I was really hoping that'd solve the problem. Thank you for trying that out, earl2blue.
Test Subject
#16 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 7:12 AM
Ashen, Geiyu- As it happens, I'm working on a double career myself, with both of them being created at the same time. What puzzles me is why they would conflict. See, although they have close guids, to a computer they should be completely different; no conflicting. I think that once my own back to back careers are done, we shall see if the same problem pops up. If so, we know why. If not- back to the drawing board...

Personally, I wonder that as well. It's perplexing, but as I noted in a past post on a diff thread, I once tried to mod Diablo 2, and how certain things going wrong...to which I eventually discovered the cause...but the problem was...the cause had absolutely nothing to do with the problem. So in some very strange way, this is similar. Some how, these are completely different, and should be seen as such...but when they are both there, they aren't. Something is linking them together in ways they shouldn't even come close to, and it has me perplexed beyond compare. Though, I personally have not tested these jobs yet, I am about to. I had to go to work earlier, but now I have some time.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 10:41 AM
Well I'll be happy to test it, if you want, this is rather interesting really.

And drat indeed. But see that's another funny thing - some people had no problems at all it seems, I fixed it this way, but doesn't work for earl - it shouldn't be this way really. We all have the same game.
Test Subject
#18 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 3:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ashen
Well I'll be happy to test it, if you want, this is rather interesting really.

And drat indeed. But see that's another funny thing - some people had no problems at all it seems, I fixed it this way, but doesn't work for earl - it shouldn't be this way really. We all have the same game.

Yes, but this game seems to think otherwise. I tested it quite a bit last night. Stayed up kind of late doing that...*slaps his own hand* Bad boy, bad. lol But anyway...I had one problem, and that was, my character started off in the Angel career as Authority, instead of Angel.(That was highly unusual.) I didn't have any other problems though. The method I tried was different from Ashen's. I took the Angel job, placed it into a directory in my Downloads folder called 'Angel', and did similar with the Demon, except a with a folder called 'Demon'. You guys can try this method, if you haven't already, but I didn't seem to lose any job efficiency when I did it this way. Unless "my eyes are cheated by some spell".
Instructor
#19 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 9:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Geiyu
Yes, but this game seems to think otherwise. I tested it quite a bit last night. Stayed up kind of late doing that...*slaps his own hand* Bad boy, bad. lol But anyway...I had one problem, and that was, my character started off in the Angel career as Authority, instead of Angel.(That was highly unusual.) I didn't have any other problems though. The method I tried was different from Ashen's. I took the Angel job, placed it into a directory in my Downloads folder called 'Angel', and did similar with the Demon, except a with a folder called 'Demon'. You guys can try this method, if you haven't already, but I didn't seem to lose any job efficiency when I did it this way. Unless "my eyes are cheated by some spell".

Hmmm! That might be worth trying for those who only have the original game or TS2 + Uni, but I seem to recall hearing that you can't put hacks in subfolders with Nightlife, only Body Shop items?

Re. starting off as an Authority, if your Sim happens to already have the skills and the number of friends required to get to that level when he starts the job, I suppose that might happen...I don't know how the game normally handles that situation.

SuperFly, please forgive me if this constitutes a breach of modding etiquette, but would you happen to have a spare GUID lying around that I could plug into one of these careers to see whether the two of them having a *completely* different number makes any difference?
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
Original Poster
#20 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 10:03 PM
I'll just have a look under my sofa- there's bound to be a guid lying about somewhere... ahh, yes- 0x000B9A35 should do nicely

Instructor
#21 Old 18th Nov 2005 at 12:29 AM
I'll just have a look under my sofa- there's bound to be a guid lying about somewhere... ahh, yes- 0x000B9A35 should do nicely

Thanks much! I'll change that and upload a new version of the Angel career to the original thread shortly.
Instructor
#22 Old 18th Nov 2005 at 12:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AmberDiceless
Hmmm! That might be worth trying for those who only have the original game or TS2 + Uni, but I seem to recall hearing that you can't put hacks in subfolders with Nightlife, only Body Shop items?

I can confirm that you CAN put careers in subfolders with NL. I got both EPs not long after I began playing TS2, and thus was able to start over from scratch with my custom content because I had only just begun playing with it anyway. I have EVERYTHING in nested subfolders.

The only restriction that I'm aware of on what can't be put into subfolders is that only Nightlife users can put Body Shop content into subfolders, whereas players without NL must leave Body Shop stuff in the top level of the Downloads directory. All of my custom careers are in Downloads/Hacks/Careers/ and then in individual subdirectories by career (although I do have the Celestial and Infernal careers in the same folder, plus another folder with two related careers by the same creator which I haven't played with yet, plus any career with both adult and teen/elder levels has both in the same folder).

For those who're using this thread, btw, I left a note over in the other one detailing my unsuccessful attempt to use the one-at-a-time method. Feel free to PM me in the event that there's another potential fix that needs to be tested; I'll be checking back, but I'll notice a PM faster.
Instructor
#23 Old 18th Nov 2005 at 2:19 AM
I'll change that and upload a new version of the Angel career to the original thread shortly.

...or not. Now I can't even get the darn thing to show up in my game when I change the GUID. O_o

I think I'll wait to see what happens with SuperFly's back-to-back careers, and if nobody else comes up with anything, I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and rebuild them both from scratch using completely different base careers.

Thanks, everybody, for your input and encouragement!
Test Subject
#24 Old 18th Nov 2005 at 5:03 AM
You're welcome, I hope I've helped. Not being able to mod myself, it makes me feel better knowing I was at the very least, able to help someone who can. ^_^
Instructor
#25 Old 18th Nov 2005 at 5:11 AM
I think I'll wait to see what happens with SuperFly's back-to-back careers, and if nobody else comes up with anything, I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and rebuild them both from scratch using completely different base careers.

Out of curiosity, one thing I wasn't clear on from some of the earlier discussion -- did you actually build the second career using the first one as the base for it, or was it just that you built them in quick succession from the same base, and since they were so similar there was a lot of copying and pasting?
Page 1 of 3