Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 9:23 PM
Default Real Life Inspiration
I went for a walk today to take pictures of my favorite houses to see if I could try to recreate them in my game. Does anyone else do that? The ones that inspire me are kind of craftsmen/early 20th century homes. Some have popped the top or put extension after extension on the back. I feel like such a creeper wandering around the neighborhood taking pictures of houses on my phone. Maybe I'll do a series of these houses. I also want to try and make an apartment complex like I live in. Maybe I'll just make the floorplan and have it be a stand alone starter house. Here are my three favorite houses:
Screenshots
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 12:23 AM
Oooh, those would all make really nice builds - especially the fuschia/purple one! Don't feel bad. I've been known to take pictures, too, but mostly of commercial/community buildings. I tend to like "city" type commercial buildings so I'm often thinking as I drive around or visit somewhere "hmm, that would make a really good Sims 3 build". I do look at houses for features that make them "realistic" as well. As you said, add ons, unusual dormers or roofs, a row of houses that started out the same but have had changes over the years, etc.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 1:06 AM
You'd love this yellow house then, Simmy! It looks just like the other bungalows from the front, but when you walk to the side, it sprouts off diagonally! There's 4 others on the block in this construction, each slightly different.

I really want to know how the turret on the purple house connects to the rest of it.
Screenshots
Scholar
#4 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 5:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tunafishfish
I went for a walk today to take pictures of my favorite houses to see if I could try to recreate them in my game. Does anyone else do that?

Only all the time! Except I've now taken visiting houses/museums that are open to the public too.
Quote: Originally posted by tunafishfish
I really want to know how the turret on the purple house connects to the rest of it.

At the risk of out-creeping you, I think I recognise the purple house, I believe it started out life as Stick Victorian style Palliser, Palliser & Co. design:

In which case, the floor space in the tower is part of the hallway/stairwell and then part of the attic.
dodgy builder
#5 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 6:17 PM
I wouldn't feel bad taking pictures of houses in open territory. I have been around town taking pictures of iconic buildings several times. I have never really tried to build them though. I usually google for buildings to build, because that way I can also find floorplans to match.

I totally forgot I tried building LeCorbusiers house in Paris once. It turned out to be too difficult so I ended up using the inspiration and tips he gave instead. I built his livingroom once, in a replica, but I was missing several rooms in the house, so I couldn't make it exact. That is very often the case, I have to fill in the blanks from my imagination.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 6:59 PM
Yes, I do that all the time. Not around my home town, but whenever I travel.

Here and here are some pictures I took of houses in Maine.
dodgy builder
#7 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 7:08 PM
I took some pictures of old houses in Oslo some time ago.

Oslo, Grunerløkka - Rodeløkka by Volvenom, on Flickr

I thought this little house was kind of cute.
Alchemist
#8 Old 16th Feb 2018 at 7:44 AM
@Ferguson Avenue
Wow, that Palliser & Co. design looks fantastic. Dream home material right there.

@Norn
Lovely pictures. The area looks exactly like how I imagine Maine and New England and co.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#9 Old 16th Feb 2018 at 11:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ferguson Avenue
Only all the time! Except I've now taken visiting houses/museums that are open to the public too.

At the risk of out-creeping you, I think I recognise the purple house, I believe it started out life as Stick Victorian style

No worries, it's cool that it's a well-known design. I don't tend to do historic house tours much, but I swear my mother dragged me on every historic house and garden tour up and down the east coast. She'd also go to open houses for fun with her friends. I'm more interested in humble homes like you'd find normal people living in.