Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th May 2019 at 4:24 AM Last edited by jane47 : 30th May 2019 at 8:01 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Apartment Mailbox changes to residential mailbox when Sim moves in [SOLVED]
I recently downloaded a custom apartment for one of my neighborhoods and I wanted to test it out by making a townie playable. The moment I moved her in, however, the apartment mailbox changed into the residential one. The doors reserved for renting still worked, but that was bugging me, so I moved her out without renting anything (she was essentially there for less than a minute). These were the steps I decided to do before moving her in:

1) Check the apartment out to see what I downloaded and then exit without saving.

That's it, nothing big, I assumed. Unfortunately, when I didn't save then moved her out, the neighborhood view indicated that the mailbox changed (even though it still functioned as an apartment), so my only solution was to bulldoze it and start over (and before someone asks, I'm pretty sure the Sims Wikia says that as long as no one is living in a residential/apartment, and in this case, no one technically made themselves at home, bulldozing should not cause corruption, or at least, I hope so (also, assuming that this thread provides correct information, I should be fine)). After moving a new clean copy to the hood and check that the apartment mailbox was still attached, I moved her in again. Unfortunately, the same issue happened again and the mailbox reverted to a residential one (while the apartment still functioned like one). When I moved her out again (and I should make it perfectly clear that in both instances, she never rented any of the apartments), this time, the neighborhood view says the mailbox is an apartment one (as seen in the attached picture).

Is there a way to fix this glitch? Is it because it is a downloaded apartment? What can I do to make the mailbox remain for apartments only permanently?

Thanks in advance!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 30th May 2019 at 4:49 AM
There is no picture attached, make sure after clicking the file to scroll down and also click 'upload file'

Do you have other working apartments?

Did the lot come with a CC mailbox in the file?

Try zoning as residential then back to apartment.

Check that all the doors are facing the correct way

If you downloaded the lot from here and the fault is in the lot, please post back as a report to the creator on the lot thread.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th May 2019 at 4:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
There is no picture attached, make sure after clicking the file to scroll down and also click 'upload file'

Do you have other working apartments?

Did the lot come with a CC mailbox in the file?

Try zoning as residential then back to apartment.

Check that all the doors are facing the correct way

That's weird, I wonder how that happened. I updated it with a picture that should show up soon.

I haven't tried testing any other apartments yet (not even the EA/Maxis ones), but they should work.

The apartment was labeled as "No CC" and the Clean Installer did not detect any CC.

I should try it next time I get in the game, hopefully, that should do it.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 30th May 2019 at 4:56 AM
You need first to check that game apartments are working in case the issue is with your game. It could be some kind of CC conflict. So rule that out first. You may have picked up a mailbox hack from somewhere.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th May 2019 at 5:07 AM
You need first to check that game apartments are working in case the issue is with your game. It could be some kind of CC conflict. So rule that out first. You may have picked up a mailbox hack from somewhere.

It has come to my attention that I have the buyable SEDD mailboxes. Is it possible that it caused the conflict glitch or is it not worth deleting them from my Downloads?
UPDATE: AJSH's buyable trash can as well.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 30th May 2019 at 5:44 AM
Dream A Little ones? http://daydream58.com/S2hacked.htm No they will change just fine. They do break M&G recolours but I used it for years no worries. If the recolours are important to you, you will want Sofie-Davids mailbox from here instead.

Make sure you have the AL version of those mailboxes though-that could cause an issue if you have the base game version.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th May 2019 at 6:31 PM
Dream A Little ones? http://daydream58.com/S2hacked.htm No they will change just fine. They do break M&G recolours but I used it for years no worries. If the recolours are important to you, you will want Sofie-Davids mailbox from here instead.

Make sure you have the AL version of those mailboxes though-that could cause an issue if you have the base game version.

UPDATE: It seems that this universal problem in the game because even in the Maxis created apartments are affected by this glitch.

I also checked my Downloads and there seem to be two versions of the SEED (AL and BV). According to the website, I NEED to delete that one.

I'll keep updating to see if that worked!
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 30th May 2019 at 8:01 PM
FINAL UPDATE: Removing the SEED BV mailbox made the mailboxes render, so now the game recognizes that apartment mailboxes exist in their corresponding lots.

Note to self: Make sure that the lots you download don't have a previous version of the SEED mailboxes or any other mailboxes made before Apartment Life.
Screenshots
Alchemist
#9 Old 31st May 2019 at 2:45 AM Last edited by Sunrader : 31st May 2019 at 1:43 PM.
The SEDD collection file is not the actual mailbox. It's just a reference that calls the Maxis mailbox.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#10 Old 31st May 2019 at 12:17 PM
The SEDD collection version claims to be only base game, however, since it is a collection it calls objects via the GUID. All versions of the mailbox use the same GUID. In theory the collection version should work for all EPs.

All the other buyable mailboxes are full clones, which include textures and meshes.