Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 4:40 AM
Default Gaming Tips and Stories
Hi, guys! I am recently getting back into TS3, and I'm determined to really explore the game and take advantage of everything it has to offer. In the past I would always fall into the routine of regular life and never really get to see much of what the game has available. I want to change that. This time, I really want to explore all of the places, interactions, relationships, careers/professions, and gameplay styles! Problem is, I have absolutely no idea where to start. I have every EP except for Into the Future, and I do use mods and custom content in my games. I could really use some advice on things I can try out to make my experience more interesting. Currently, I am planning to dive into the Supernatural EP. If you have any past experiences you'd like to share to help give me inspiration, or any general tips/advice to enhance my gaming experience, PLEASE share!!

Also, I have another thread in regards to finding a custom world for my Supernatural game. Please let me know if you know of any good ones!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 5:23 AM
Mhh the first thing that came to my mind was the EP legacy challenge. The basic idea is to play a legacy where you focus on the contents of one EP each generation; build a house using mostly stuff from this EP, pick the traits and LTW that came with it, maybe move into whatever new world that was included. Of course you don't have to follow all the rules suggested there, personally I kept all of my mods, CC, and EPs installed and skipped the (boring) base game generation. And you could play the generations in any order you want, i.e. start with Supernatural. I found that by focusing on only one EP at a time I really explored all the stuff that came with it rather than picking only a little bit of everything.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 1:32 PM
Legacy is a fun way. Having to complete all the LTW (Lifetime Wishes) should help out explore the game and mechanics. Just follow those. Assign for different children of different generations the lifetime wish once they turn into teen. That is what already thought of doing as I already started playing as well with only two expansion packs installed.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Test Subject
#4 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 2:07 PM
If you like normal families you could take that and put a spin on it, right now I have a family who all love to garden and love animals, I bought a plot of land and bit by bit with any money they've earned from gardening I build a part of a farm for them, right now I have the first stable, garage and the whole house built with the downstairs furnished it's been a really fun task, for generation 2 one of the kids is going to be mad into science and inventing and I'm probably going to send them to college, if you want you could add rules to it like no actual jobs and you can't take opportunities or use the inheritance reward
Mad Poster
#5 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 8:49 PM
Every simmer plays differently. You really need to find your own play style/path. If wanted check my Spider Islands world in the exchange. If you do and have any issues, please let me know. I may make some revisions and upload a newer version. Let me get a link.

https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetai...assetId=7720108
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 11:39 PM
For Supernatural, it's good to start with a Witch - they have no different motives, have the same lifespan as a common sim, and they're very integrated to many things related to the EP, like the massive boost to the Alchemy skill learning rate. The Conversion Ritual spell is low-level but can get quite powerful and useful depending on the result. If you want your Witch to be an Alchemist too, as you gather elixir ingredients, you can start to branch to Fairies (amazing for gardening) and Werewolves (for collecting). Vampires are nice for the Vampiric Vigor moodlet that appears at night, giving any vampire a 50% speed boost to any skills and no fatigue for physical training.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 16th Jul 2018 at 4:03 AM
Wow, guys, all great tips, thank you so much!
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 16th Jul 2018 at 8:01 AM
I came up with a challenge at one point centered around werewolves. never actually managed to finish it though because life. the concept was your starting sim was bit by a werewolf and ran away to start over in a new town. you start on an empty lot with a tiny shack that only has a bed and your goal is to eventually create a pack by having 7 other werewolf sims in your household. I had all these restrictions like no one in your pack can have a job and before you sell gems and metals you have to cut/smelt them. some of the restrictions were temporary and were lifted as you gained lycanthropy skill.

another challenge I never finished revolved around witches. in this one, your starting sim is a high priestess (or priest) trying to revive their order. first you have to complete your own training by maxing out the magic skill and the alchemy skill, then you have to train seven other priestesses (or priests). some of the rules were things like initiates (teen and younger sims) couldn't attend school, every full moon your priestesses (or priests) had to travel to a sacred site and make an offering (or maybe a blood sacrifice but I never tested out how that would work), no jobs except for one priestess (or priest) joining the fortune teller career.

I also intended to make a challenge centered around fairies and one centered around vampires but never got around to it. with werewolves and witches I had a pretty firm storyline in mind for the challenge but with fairies I could never quite figure one out. I might give it another shot though. I haven't played with supernatural sims in a long time but I loved playing fairies and I was always disappointed that I never figured out a challenge centered around them.

lifetime wishes can also be a great way to vary gameplay. one of my most memorable saves was a sim I gave the heartbreaker wish to. it forced me to send my sim out and have him interact with other sims and have to invite them over and all that, which are things I don't normally do. I'm as unsocial in sims as I tend to be in real life lmao. and since he had the commitment issues trait I would just wait for him to tell me he was ready to break up with his current significant other.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#9 Old 16th Jul 2018 at 8:19 AM
I once played a game where my main Sim had the directive to live with every pre-made family in a world for a while. He had to either wait until they invited him to move in on their own or I sped this up by temporarily switching to that family and initiate that dialogue myself. That way I learned the world inside out and had a constant change of scenery, too. Maybe I should have called that the freeloader challenge
He started as a teen with only a tent on an otherwise empty 10x10 lot, so the incentive to find places to sleep, shower, eat and use the bathroom was already there from the start.

Another interesting challenge was to play a mummy and have her join the firefighter career. That was fun but also a real lesson in patience because mummies are so slow. She reached level 10 rather effortlessly, by the way, and so finally ended up being immune to fire, level 10 in athletic and martial arts and a level 10 drummer (practicing between firefighting jobs).
Forum Resident
#10 Old 16th Jul 2018 at 1:35 PM
Lately I've been doing this thing where I try giving all of my played Sims at least one "negative" trait. That's made the game a lot more interesting.

Also, yeah, I love Legacy style. I also like using NRAAS Traveler and having heirs travel to "new" towns, or create characters in other towns that later move to my main town (often my heir's love interest).