Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Feb 2018 at 5:03 PM
Default TS3 1920s or 30s craftsman
I'd intended to make this a 2 bedroom but managed to fit 4 bedrooms and 1.5 baths. There's a formal living room, a small study/sun room, a formal dining room, and an eat in kitchen. I've since come to the conclusion that this is too small for pets or multiple pets as all the rooms are based off a 5x5 footprint and there's not a lot of free space for them to route so you'll get a lot of moonwalking dogs. I talked with my mom a lot about layout for a 20s or 30s house and what they would do for lights since she grew up in a house from that era. I was really struggling with the stairway and upper hall placement and she told me that the bedrooms would be along the outer walls and the hall would go down the center line of the house. She also told me that they would've had ceiling mounted light fixtures with the bulbs under a dome or a chandelier where appropriate. In my head the kitchen was modernized in the 90s to explain the task lighting and designated eating area. My daughter helped with decorating the children's rooms, as she has OPINIONS.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 7th Feb 2018 at 4:40 AM
Hi tunafishfish
I think this thread was lost in the recent influx of threads. It would help if you indicated the feedback you are looking for- roof, style, layout, something else?

It looks like a fine house, definitely representative of the craftsman style. My only comment is that the dining room table seems a bit too large for the room, from an aesthetic and a routing perspective.

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
dodgy builder
#3 Old 7th Feb 2018 at 6:41 AM
I was sitting on the fence, thinking it was better suited for someone else to comment.

I think it's difficult to see much in your pictures. The house layout is quite normal for traditional houses. I'm thinking ... the big windows on the upper floor probably should fit on top of the similar windows on the lower floor. It looks a bit off for me with a big window section on top of the entrance like that.

Otherwise than that, it looks to me like you should study color combinations for the interiors. It can be a difficult subject, but getting it right can lift a house tremendesly.

There are lots of floorplans you can google for, if you like.
Scholar
#4 Old 7th Feb 2018 at 9:51 AM
I like what you've done so far, internally it seems just about there. Although one thing i would do is swap out the current dining room table for the smaller Mission/Craftsman style one. Then I'd work on the CASting to make the inner side of the windows match the woodwork/paneling of the room they're in. I'd also swap out the handrail of the staircase for the Mission/Craftsman style one and re-colour it to match the rest of the woodwork. One thing I always do is CASt everything I place so that nothing uses any of its original preset styles, that way I'm always thinking about giving the lot a cohesive appearance inside and out.
Then moving on to the exterior, I'd first look at changing the colour of the siding. Green is the perfect colour for Craftsman houses as they're all about the naturalistic and earthy tones. But the shade of green you've used seems very dark to be the main colour. I think it'd be perfect for use on the windows/trim with a lighter colour for the main colour. For more inspiration I suggest taking a look at these houses:

1925 Craftsman, Caldwell, ID

1922 Craftsman, Tampa, FL

I really like what you've done so far, you've certainly got the knack for doing an authentic old house recreation with a period-appropriate layout, which is something I very much admire so I'd love to see what you come up with in the future too.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Feb 2018 at 1:11 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I could see it needed some tweaking, but couldn't figure out what needed to be done. I'm gonna try and take some better screenshots. All the ones I had of the interior at a sim's eye view were garbage.

@volvenom, do you mean the dormer window or the hallway window?

@Ferguson_Avenue the inspiration for this house was a royal purple house in my neighborhood, but I suck at finding purples in CAST, they always turn out too blue or too magenta. In my head, things are always brighter colors than they are in real life. I'll swap out the dining room table for something smaller, I just dislike the mission one. Also, no idea you could CAST handrails. TIL
Alchemist
#6 Old 8th Feb 2018 at 7:07 AM Last edited by Johnny_Bravo : 8th Feb 2018 at 1:54 PM.
Stairs are CAST-able as a whole :p

Also, If you still wish to have a purple home, could one of these help you out?

#5a2f57

I think it's somewhat Royal Purple-ish.
Screenshots

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#7 Old 8th Feb 2018 at 4:21 PM
Well now, I have to make a purple house! I'll take pictures of the purple house in my neighborhood and see if I can recreate it. I kind of like this one being forest green.
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 9th Feb 2018 at 2:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ferguson Avenue
...One thing I always do is CASt everything I place so that nothing uses any of its original preset styles, that way I'm always thinking about giving the lot a cohesive appearance inside and out...

Love this! It is totally going in the tip thread Crowkeeper and I are working on!

I like the house in green, but I must admit those are some attractive shades of purple.

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Alchemist
#9 Old 9th Feb 2018 at 2:51 PM
Also, @tunafishfish, I mostly get my colours by darkening and brightening a pastel variant of the colour I want. That's how I also got these 2 purple shades. There are many more shades, of course.

#10 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 2:16 PM
I took what you all said into consideration and did some tweaking yesterday. I lightened and brightened the siding a bit, and did some CASTing of woodwork. BTW, does anyone know of a fix to the smooth top flat wall's corner? It drives me nuts!

Alchemist
#11 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 2:32 PM
Do you mean the half wall? Because walls are generally flat.
There's a fix for then here on mts. I'd link it, but I'm on my phone

#12 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 1:23 AM
This is the fix for the half wall corner that Johnny mentioned: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=597434. Is that what you meant? Lovely house, by the way! Did you know that you can use "Moveobjects on" to move the porch posts into the railing? I'm a bit concerned about routing in the dining room between the cabinet (?) and chairs. Has that caused any problems? It seems like sims need lots of space around a dining table, if possible, because they're always trying to sit where someone else is already sitting or leave by going clear around the table.
Scholar
Original Poster
#13 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 2:12 AM
@simmyrn She had no problems with the 8 seater, but she is only one sim... I was surprised because I had to place it with move objects on due to the arches. I think there's a square between the cabinet and the chairs. I also use the "set the table" mod so that cuts down on the route failing. The dog does have some issues with routing since the rooms are all so small. He does a lot of backwards walking. The cat has no issues. I'll have to play around with the posts on the porch, thanks for the tip.