Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Dec 2005 at 9:42 PM
Default To Those With .RAR Issues...get SIM FILE MAID 2
I've only been a member here for a couple of months so forgive me if I'm missing something but...I've seen a lot of posts here by people complaining (maybe too strong a word) about .rar files and how they can't import them into their games. One of the first files I downloaded was SIM FILE MAID 2 and to date it has performed flawlessly.

This is a 'drag and drop' program which will automatically handle all your .rar, .zip and .package files (as well as other TS2 compatible files). It will unzip (when necessary) and install the files to the appropriate folder and will also advise you if a file is corrupted or if its an .exe that you should run by hand.

This program was created by Matthew Keller and is available for FREE download here:
http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/project...aid/index2.html

So please...no more whining about "hey this is great and I know you already put many hours into it but I can't handle .rar files so can you please make a .zip?" It's just a waste of everyone's time and energy, especially when you consider there is such a great program readily available that solves the problem.

I'm sure someone has already posted here about this tool (I found it through here) so please forgive the redundancy, but I thought it couldn't hurt to post about it again, seeing how some people still haven't 'got it'.

I don't mean to offend anyone - I'd just rather have these talented modders/hackers working on the next great mod than wasting their time (re)zipping and (re)uploading something that is already perfectly usable as is.

In the intrest of fairness (I'm not trying to shill for Mr. Keller), I suppose if someone has an alternate opinion re: SFM2 you could post it here but as far as I go (I only have TS2 no EPs)...it works great.

Peace.

allupo
a wolf in cheap clothing

Los Angeles, California
United States of America
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 20th Dec 2005 at 9:46 PM
I HATE sim file maid becuase it never worked for me with TS1 I downloaded it for TS2 and it was no use to me. Why not just get WinRAR its not killing anybody.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Dec 2005 at 9:53 PM
Simmy -

Of course it's not killing anybody and if people actually *did get* WinRAR there wouldn't be a need for my initial post.

I'd be happy either way - so long as I don't have to scroll past constant requests to for different file types. Once again, I'm not shilling this program - just letting people know it exists and that it has worked well for me.

Thanks.

allupo
a wolf in cheap clothing

Los Angeles, California
United States of America
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 20th Dec 2005 at 10:17 PM
I have sims file maid 2 I use it if I download alot of files from some one site and also if I have had a major blow out and need to reinstall windows from scratch and boy does it take alot of stress out of reinstalling all of my sims2 files again. I also have WinRAR as well I dont see the problem people are having.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 21st Dec 2005 at 5:32 PM
Gawd i loved sim file maid, worked great for me. I may try this, for those downloading sprees.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 19th Dec 2006 at 2:57 AM
how is the sim file maid 2 suspose to work for the neighborhoods that are rar?

walk beside me an just be my friend
Sarcastic Evil Muppet
retired moderator
#7 Old 19th Dec 2006 at 3:33 AM
Gzip and 7zip are both free programs that will open rars. WinRAR is free but nags you to buy, however it shouldn't stop working. I prefer it because I can just right click on the file and 'extract here'.

Anyway the point is, none of these issues with rar files should exist - there are many ways to open them.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 19th Dec 2006 at 9:55 PM
You can also get this lovely free download that will handle zip and rar files:
http://qxpress.modthesims2.com/
Sarcastic Evil Muppet
retired moderator
#9 Old 20th Dec 2006 at 5:05 AM
Just be warned that if you like to subfolder and sort, qxpress will dump things in your download directory and might make it a wee bit harder