Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Sep 2019 at 7:33 AM Last edited by daisylee : 4th Sep 2019 at 9:23 PM.
Default Your Thoughts about the Muslim Items being added to the game?
https://simsvip.com/2019/09/03/the-...nt-coming-soon/

I am not sure what I think. On one hand I think it is good but on the other is EA going overboard in trying to be PC?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 4th Sep 2019 at 8:36 AM
I'm not sure that inclusion of content inspired by non-western cultures counts as going "overboard."
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Sep 2019 at 10:43 AM
As said above, I really am not sure what I think about this. I have no objections to it but cannot help but wonder where in a Sims game they should draw the line in trying to include religions, cultures, etc. probably mostly in an attempt to be politically correct nowadays. We do have Christian things (Christmas) and I think there are some Jewish things. I am sure many people will like to have this inclusion, but sadly there are many who will object to it. Everything in the US and world is so horribly divisive right now that I am not sure if this will help or hurt things. ???

That is why I am curious to hear your thoughts about this.
dodgy builder
#4 Old 4th Sep 2019 at 11:13 AM
There seems to be a set of windows and build items to fit the cloths, so I like it. I don't need to like the cloths for my sims, but the houses can be really nice, and look like places i like going on vacation. I'm too preoccupied with fashion, so the hijab isn't for me.
One Minute Ninja'd
#5 Old 4th Sep 2019 at 12:17 PM
Didn't they provide a bunch of Asian stuff for Chinese New Year for free in a patch? I don't recall anyone discussing whether that was appropriate or going overboard.

Now, the multicultural, unpronounceable names in CL seemed a bit over the top.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 4th Sep 2019 at 12:46 PM
We also have African things from Season's as well. The only thing remotely religious in the Hijab, which can still just be worn a head wrap.

I don't understand why this is an issue. It's supposed to be a life simulator, right? Do some human's not wear Hijab? It's Sims to wear if player's are so inclined. No one's going to ask you face Mecca and pray to Muhammad several times a day while playing the game.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 4th Sep 2019 at 12:50 PM
I'll like Hijab better when no woman got punished for not wearing it.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 4th Sep 2019 at 12:57 PM
That's an article of clothing not included in this free content update.

From what I hear from many Muslim women, they chose if they do or do not wear a Hijab. The Muslim women I know don't all wear Hijabs. Some many wear a simple hair wrap, while some others may wear nothing at all. None of them are fearing damnation. Extremist Muslims are not and should not be the barometer for Muslims and their practices, and most Muslims will tell you that this is true.

Mad Poster
#9 Old 4th Sep 2019 at 1:51 PM
I literally see zero reason to have an issue with this. Not caring is one thing but I'll never understand being upset by it. Then again, I also never understood why the inclusion of certain races and cultures have suddenly become a bad thing. Are television, film, and video games just... supposed to pretend people who are different don't exist?

The Receptacle still lives!
Smeg Head
#10 Old 4th Sep 2019 at 2:03 PM Last edited by coolspear1 : 4th Sep 2019 at 2:37 PM.
I think Maxis are being grossly unfair, negligent and bigoted in not including the Jacoban and Peteran faiths for our sims to continue worshipping. Those religions go back to the Medieval age, probably far older, and are our sims now supposed to abandon them? I don't care what real world religious stuff Maxis or CC creators have been putting in the game, or for whatever reasons they do it. That's just for the player. But the sims have their own, long-established faiths and they need to be represented!!!

Truth be told, I'm an atheist, and I'm right up there with the likes of Gene Rodenberry and his stance there will be zero religious representation in his Star Trek. I'd prefer the sims to continue on in that tradition. But, real people want real stuff represented in their sim universes, and it truly is a fine line to try an fairly and proportionately represent typical clothing from regions of the world, as fashion, that do not have the religious baggage come along with. Perhaps the most balanced approach would have been for Maxis to have made that stuff optional to download. Because CC creators have been making that very same type of clothing for a good while now, and I'm sure there are a great many players of the game, who like to grab CC, who DON'T grab that stuff. Maybe Maxis should have went for that angle.

And someone said here that Christmas is represented in the game, and by virtue of that Christianity. Nope. There is nothing in the game anywhere, where Christianity is represented at all in terms of naming anything. Whereas all other religious paraphernalia they've included does get its proper, real world religious terminology in the description. Any particular reason for that pattern? Too ashamed to mention Christianity? Perhaps afraid of blaspheming, whereas other religions are just "toy religions" to them that can be named in a game. Make of that what you will, but it is a fact.

And where does it end while trying to be fair, inclusionary and representational of all. The patch after next we'll get kippahs, phylacteries, wigs for women, and the full Hasidic monty. No? Too far for Maxis? But why? Finish what you started. I like those big furry hats. I could see my sim in one of them.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Mad Poster
#11 Old 4th Sep 2019 at 2:38 PM Last edited by lil bag2 : 4th Sep 2019 at 2:54 PM.
Except this isn't really inserting the practice of any religion into the game. It's literally just traditional middle eastern fashion. The same way the Sims has always included fashion and architecture that's reflective of other cultures (hell we've had middle eastern clothes and architecture before in past games). I'm not really getting what makes this different from the Christmas, Hanukah, and Kwanza stuff in the Seasons and Holiday packs. Or the Indian, Japanese, and Korean stuff we got in City Living. Or the African inspired head wraps that we also got in free updates.

And I say this as a Christian. Any anger over this literally baffles me.

The Receptacle still lives!
Smeg Head
#12 Old 4th Sep 2019 at 3:12 PM
Because it is religious clothing. Intrinsically. Worn specifically to represent the religion more than just the evolving fashion of regional culture. That's why I mentioned the Hasidic, as it is on a par with that in terms of representing your religion first and foremost down to your socks. And for those who are aware of this fact, to see even one or two elements of it represented in a game, could be a trigger. My own stance on any current religions or those of history and antiquity, mean nothing to me. Could not care either way what Maxis stick in the game, as I can easily mod it out if it truly bothered me. But seeing Maxis went out of their way to remove certain trigger elements from the game at the start of the year, to not see religion as one of the biggest triggers of all time, kinda makes no sense. And it puts those who could be triggered in a bind. As it's all well a good complaining about things like Insane Trait can trigger and be taken seriously, but who will come forward to say religious stuff is their trigger, without coming across as an intolerant, insensitive bigot, looking to stir up trouble where there was nothing but harmony in the community beforehand? Yes, true enough, it would probably be the right wing, fundamentalists of any given faith who would be most offended by it, so then who cares really about them griping? But there could be others, who've had bad run-ins with represented religions, perhaps been punished for not wearing the clothing, thinking of it as nothing more than middle eastern fashion they can forgo by choice, only to feel the pain of that wrong decision, who would rather not see it represented in a game.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Mad Poster
#13 Old 4th Sep 2019 at 4:34 PM
The only “religious” items we have are a tree, some candles, and a hijab. Why are we getting bent out of shape when we have new stairs coming?

Focus, y’all.

Instructor
#14 Old 4th Sep 2019 at 4:48 PM
Just summarizing what I've already explained in another thread:

In an objective sense, inclusion is good.
In a subjective sense, yes, I care very much about the intent behind the update.

I'm disabled. There is a very different way to react to someone who notices me walking funny and simply offers to help me with X on their own, and some guy that grabs my arm and says "here let me help you" without me ever asking while some lady friend he fancies watches what a GREAT PERSON he is. One of these is just genuinely trying to be helpful, the other has ulterior motives and they're using a minority as a tool to achieve a goal.

I very much doubt that the Sims team is so god damned progressive and PC and on the bleeding edge of social acceptance, because if they truly were:

-Why is everyone of these updates marketed like OH SNAP they sure are great people for including this!!!
-Why did it take them 5 years to remember Muslims exist?
-Why do we have a token gay couple and a token transgender person instead of just, yknow, releasing gay sims on a regular basis without calling attention to every update where they release the first X minority?
-And of course, the team's weird attitude/history towards the disabled. VERY weird to see them claim being progressive while the disabled have often been treated as a "political petition" and posts regarding them are deleted for it. Coincidentally, this is also the minority group that'd be the most difficult to develop.
Scholar
#15 Old 4th Sep 2019 at 6:52 PM
I'm sorry but did you really have to create two new threads about 1 update when we already have a thread for all of this.
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 4th Sep 2019 at 8:36 PM
I think the CAS items are probably useful for those who make historical CC. The build items look well crafted.
Theorist
#17 Old 4th Sep 2019 at 9:01 PM
Okay so now....where's the special Mormon underwear, the clothes for orthodox Jews, the Amish Clothing, the Old Order Mennonite clothing etc. etc. etc.? Huh?

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 4th Sep 2019 at 9:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Chax
I'm sorry but did you really have to create two new threads about 1 update when we already have a thread for all of this.

I would jump to defend as it gives searchable reference value, but by the given thread's title it would be impossible to find again this buried thread.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#19 Old 4th Sep 2019 at 9:20 PM Last edited by daisylee : 4th Sep 2019 at 9:41 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Chax

If mods want to merge these it is OK with me. I do not read that other thread and probably should when there are updates.

edit: that is a good point about the search. I will change the title.
Field Researcher
#20 Old 4th Sep 2019 at 10:00 PM
I welcome any content that EA wants to give me for free. I look at it and if I don't care for it, my sims don't use it.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 4th Sep 2019 at 11:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ksstrek
I welcome any content that EA wants to give me for free. I look at it and if I don't care for it, my sims don't use it.

Townies though will spawn with such clothes and come in like

(Not that I have something against muslim looking like muslims, so the gif would be reletable to townies that wear actual overly-ridiculous outfits out of norm). ETA: Although, you explicitly said 'your' sims, so sorry - I turned it out of context.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 4th Sep 2019 at 11:55 PM
Ctrl + Shift + C
testingcheats true
Ctrl + Shift + Click on Desired Sims
Select Edit in CAS

There's a hurricane hitting the South Eastern coast of the US right now.
The Amazon in on fire.
There are starving families in impoverished countries right now.
People are being murdered.

Don't let a Hijab ruin your day.

Field Researcher
#23 Old 5th Sep 2019 at 12:07 AM
I really like so everyone is getting represented
Scholar
#24 Old 5th Sep 2019 at 12:29 AM
We already got turbans in the game, nobody called that PC. Personally I love different fashions from around the world. Would love to see some kilts next.

I don't really think of any specific kind of clothing when I think of Christian clothes. Other than something that nuns and priests wear, everyday believers of Christianity generally don't have specific clothing (Although some do try to be more modest, I think most Christians wear everyday clothing from whatever region of the world they live in).... Unless ya'll think we should have like Amish clothes. Because who doesn't want their sims livin' in an Amish paradise! LOL
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 5th Sep 2019 at 5:45 AM
Yeah, batten down, y'all. A category 3 hurricane is no joke.

ETA: Men in kilts. Yum.
Locked thread
Page 1 of 5