Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 6:04 AM Last edited by Aex0 : 22nd Jul 2009 at 7:01 AM.
Default Create an entire car from scratch?
Hi all,

I wasn't sure where to put this thread because there is no "object creation" category, and it doesn't fit in CAS nor buildings/lots. Sorry if I'm off topic!

Is it possible to create *new* cars for the Sims 3? I don't mean skins and different colors for the existing cars like the Prius, but complete new models like if I want a Porsche or Ferrari in game. I ask because I have not seen a single car package anywhere, only downloads of the European car model. And I'm wondering if that's because there are no tools to do it? Or have people just not gotten around to making them yet? And if it is possible, how would I go about creating one?

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Mother Function
retired moderator
#2 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 7:10 AM Last edited by daluved1 : 22nd Jul 2009 at 7:23 AM.
Theoretically you can make anything, but getting the game to recognize it and/or getting it to function properly is a different story.

Although there's no in and out animations, you'd have to animate the wheels and the steering wheel (I think). And as far as I know, no one has made any new animations yet.

And the way objects function is really complex and usually you'll have to edit multiple key files to get everything to resource correctly.

In short, i'd wait a bit...however you might want to ask this over at the modding discusion thread.

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
Eminence Grise
#3 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 7:48 AM
Moving to Modding Discussion.

As of right now, there are no new object meshes, period -- not just cars. However, that will change very soon. With Peter Jones's new Object Cloner , object mods become much easier to make; right now, you can easily make new objects based on existing meshes. What we're waiting on for completely new objects is a Milkshape plugin from Wes Howe that will make object meshing for Sims 3 a reality, but that is apparently well underway.

In the meantime, Wintermute has made a drivable ownable recolored repoman truck, just to give you an idea of what can be done with the cloner: http://sims3tinkers.com/smf/index.php?topic=314 .
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 8:31 PM
I´ll revive this thread a bit.

I´ve been looking for a tutorial on this subject but have come up emty handed. Is there any that I have missed and in that case, where?