Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#76 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 1:16 PM
Ok new problem- I need an object with 2 TXTR files because uv mapping is already overflowing the box, yet, I want one of the shelves in my object to be frosted glass. Does this mean I have to get a special object with glass in it already or something? I don't understand MMAT files so I dunno whether that shall change anything. Or is there a special alpha texture I have to get for the glass bit? I am soooo confused, please can you help me!

Basically, my object has 3 parts to it, the glass part, the frame and bottles, and then the shadow. I have uv mapped the bottles and frame hopefully correctly and all that should work out, yet, I need the to have frosted glass in the shelves. I have not yet made a package because I don't know what object would be best to clone it from or is it something to do with changing the MMAT? Please help! Btw it is a wall shelf not a floor one.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#77 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 1:17 PM Last edited by Pistachio : 31st Mar 2005 at 1:39 PM. Reason: Edited because I can't spell!
Taking Jwood's advice I'm being not so unfortunate by asking for the help of any kind soul who would be willing to tell me what I've missed before I start indenting the wall with my head (or vice versa). My little loveseat first kept picking up the fabric textures for the barccoco loveseat it was cloned from and not giving the the option of the new fabric texture I wanted it to use - after a bit of tweaking its now not offering me the fabric from the original (good) however its offering me instead that lovely white and black 'I can't find your texture' image and I'm quite convinced if I stare at it any longer I shall probably start seeing things which aren't there.
I forgot to get a picture but its based off of this Sims1 design

Sanctuary Loveseat zip

If someone (anyone) who understands this could possibly take a quick look and find the 'there's your problem right there -you idiot' I'd be very grateful.

Sims2master - the map can be any size you want it to be on your UV map, however if its a tiny object with low detail you want to produce then stick to a small size map, say 128x128 (or smaller) to keep the filesize down, if its a very large high detail object you might need a much larger map, but again keep in mind if you're going to use it your computer has to load it in to your game so a huge 2000x2000 pixel texture might be overkill! Also although your texture might be dealt with as a perfect square when you're mapping but your map will have its aspect ratio 'corrected' to fit whatever size your texture is, so if your finished texture ends up being 1024x64 then the layout of your UV mapping will be stretched horizontally to fit your texture if that makes any sense. That said check the display options of whatever program you're using, its entirely possible you can set it to display the working area to the size you're after.

www.parsimonious.org
Artists - Get your own Studio! Always be featured!
Field Researcher
#78 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 1:25 PM
Ok Pistachio or Kate whichever name I should call you, I shall try in a different uv mapping program. The one in wings3d maps as a square all the time and tries to fit them inside.

Btw, I love your Jazzy study set on your site! Any chance of you making a sims2 bed the same as your chrome bed from sims1? Heheh going off topic here but everything on your site is AMAZING!
Field Researcher
#79 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 1:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TheSims2Master
Ok new problem- I need an object with 2 TXTR files because uv mapping is already overflowing the box, yet, I want one of the shelves in my object to be frosted glass. Does this mean I have to get a special object with glass in it already or something? I don't understand MMAT files so I dunno whether that shall change anything. Or is there a special alpha texture I have to get for the glass bit? I am soooo confused, please can you help me!

Basically, my object has 3 parts to it, the glass part, the frame and bottles, and then the shadow. I have uv mapped the bottles and frame hopefully correctly and all that should work out, yet, I need the to have frosted glass in the shelves. I have not yet made a package because I don't know what object would be best to clone it from or is it something to do with changing the MMAT? Please help! Btw it is a wall shelf not a floor one.

You can make this all into one mesh that uses one texture if you attach them all to create one single one, create an area on your UV map where you want the glass texture to appear, move the verticies for the glass object to it, on the texture make it whatever colour you want the glass to be, export the alpha channel and make that area grey so that its seethrough, lighter grey is more opaque, darker grey is more see through. I'm not sure having out of range data is a good idea on your UV map, I'd suggest trying to move everything inside the square thats associated with the single mesh, if you're using multiple meshes in one object they'll need to be mapped seperately before combining them into the .obj file you're importing with the mesh tool and yes if you do that you will need a seperate texture file for each one, and you'll need to edit the alpha channel for your glass object.

www.parsimonious.org
Field Researcher
#80 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 2:05 PM
Uggghhh, I need that in english now. Lol. I need to understand that more.. Back to basic objects for me then. I don't understand anything except just making it and putting it into simPE.....
Field Researcher
#81 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 6:54 PM Last edited by TheSims2Master : 31st Mar 2005 at 7:06 PM.
Pistachio, Due to my unimaginable nosiness, I had to take a sneak preview into your sanctuary loveseat, and luckily, due to unimaginably lucky luck I have managed to fix the chair, I shall test in game and get back to you if it does work! I had to redo the package and redo one of your textures (Don't worry I only resized it to the right ratio) which was actually the frame, which was odd considering originally the fabric was the odd texture. Unfortunately I can't really tell you what you've done wrong as I immediately went into making the new package because I knew I wouldn't know what would be wrong. I am glad I did try to fix your chair because I now know how to correctly map something!! If you've already fixed it or not I have done it anyway and thanks for the knowledge lol.

Tested and functional!!! Here's a picture of your seat working fine! I like it and at least the dreamers like it too! It still takes fabric from the original chair, of which some actually look dam good on it. It should be recolourable and luckily, to avoid strange textures, it's not taking textures for the frame. I shall give it to you while you're here so I can take it off for download to stop nosy people (Like me) from downloading it here lol.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#82 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 7:18 PM
Wow, that was quick - much obliged to you S2M - can you email the thing to me ([email protected]) - I went back and had another go at the thing after a break and some coffee and unfortunately ended up with black and white text on the frame aswell as the fabric - looking though it the texture names didn't match up in the shape and g-node which I swore I'd committed on, however making those the same didn't help so I think I may have done something irrevicable to it. I've done the sofa for this and that doesn't use the existing baraccoco fabric textures so I'll either have to change it so it does or change the loveseat so it doesn't.
Anyway cheers for that !!

www.parsimonious.org
Field Researcher
#83 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 8:12 PM
Ok Pistachio, will email it to you! I think you should try and enable the sofa to take textures from the original chair because as I said before, they still look good on it, and none of mine (Not saying all) look weird. Now I know how to map correctly I can probably continue my shelf. Still gotta figure out the glas thing though..
Field Researcher
#84 Old 1st Apr 2005 at 11:25 AM
Ok! Me again! :D

Right first off, I could have had this finished in about 5 hours... but no I decided I had to do this on my own! Like.. 20 hours later I have given up and I just need help! I have created a stereo which I think looks really cool, did all the uv mapping and so on and BAM! There's my problem. No programs want to map some of the front parts So I have asked Brasstex how he made a TXTR file, which I need to texture the front parts. Shadow's working well, base looks fine but right there-front parts are white. Dam! So, all I have to do is quadruple check names/shapes/textures/TXMT and as far as I know, every possible name is ok. So, thinking that SimPE preview just wouldn't show that texture because it's been manually added, I started up the game, and I get this, Please help!
Screenshots
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#85 Old 1st Apr 2005 at 1:13 PM
S2M, I've given some hints on your other thread, here:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=54481
Tell me if it works.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#86 Old 1st Apr 2005 at 1:27 PM
PISTACHIO: I see that you have followed my advice in the FAQ, correcting the GMND. Actually, the info I have provided are not complete: when you have corrected the GMND, you have to copy the name of the new texture (the one you created for the fabric), and paste it in the Material Definition for the fabric (replace the texture reference both in the "Properties" tab and in the "File List" tab of the Material Definition; the reference must be preceded by the ##0x1c050000! prefix).

The next version of SimPE will automatically create a stand-alone package even if the original object was "borrowing" the textures from other objects.
Field Researcher
#87 Old 1st Apr 2005 at 1:56 PM
Numenor, thankyou for your advice but luckily I had actually corrected the object before, sorry for a slight false alarm lol. There is always one major name I always miss to correct so I am writing down which part needs to be corrected for further uses, as I missed it in my 2 new objects for the "Funky Banana" set which will be available for download and updated with new items in my thread on the objects forum :D
Field Researcher
#88 Old 1st Apr 2005 at 2:40 PM
I feel like such an idiot but how the heck do I use the mesh tool to import seperate objects? I wanna import a bed but I don't wanna do it all then find out the animations aren't there so any help with this, thanks.
Field Researcher
#89 Old 1st Apr 2005 at 5:10 PM Last edited by Samekh : 1st Apr 2005 at 5:15 PM.
You must be sick of me here but, I'm getting close to a solution now - I can feel it. Please can I have a bit more help.

The new version of the meshtool and it's ability to replace just one model of a gmdc seems to be working for me. ie. The bedding isn't messed up, it's animated properly, has indoor shadows and comes up with two recolourable parts (double bed). However,

I wan't both the frame and the bedding to be able to use all the textures for the Colonial Double Bed (I mapped the new mesh in the 3d editor so it doesn't need a unique texture). The odd thing is it's coming up with just the blue bedding and the mahogony frame and - they both have asterixes next to them.

I've been trying all different ways to get them to have all the colonial's recolours (for the last couple of days) and I can manage to make recolours for the frame and bedding by cloning my new mesh and, at one point (by unchecking 'pull only default texture' and by trying to remove all the prefixes with 01500 in (or whatever it is) the bedding came up for all the original maxis options (all with asterixes however!) but not my colonial bedding recolours. In the scenegraph rename wizard I've been doing what I'm told and giving it a new name and I think this may be the problem. It's loosing that beddoublecolonial reference and, when I've compared my package to someone elses that I know works - theirs has the beddoublecolonial references. All of mine are lonelyheartbed-double-samekh. I know I'm so close now. I've made a very simple package and left it pretty much alone. Please Numenor or JWoods, have a little look at it and tell me that there's one little thing I have left to do to get it to point at the colonial's colour options.

Sims2master. What you do is (by the way hi), right click on the gmdc that has the model you want to replace, click extract, it will as you to save and then save it as a .5gd. Start the new version of the meshtool, don't use the wizard, it says load 3d file (this is the .obj file you've made in your 3d editor) do that, then load sims2 mesh (this is the file you just extracted in SimPE). Whether the next bit is necessary or not I don't know but I've been doing it. Go to settings and highlight the model you want to replace, don't change anything though, click commit and then save the file as a .simpe. Then replace the gmdc you extracted with the new SimPE file. Hope this helps. By the way the cushions have gone now but that's a long story.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  lonelyheartbed_double_samekh.zip (607.5 KB, 17 downloads) - View custom content
Field Researcher
#90 Old 1st Apr 2005 at 5:24 PM
Samekh, it doesn't work I've been trying that for aaaages.
Field Researcher
#91 Old 1st Apr 2005 at 5:28 PM
Are you doing it one model at a time? Does your object file have one mesh in it with the name 'frame' for instance? The process may be different for replacing multiple models.
Field Researcher
#92 Old 1st Apr 2005 at 5:40 PM
my .obj file has 1 object in it and it's called frame... Still not working after several more tries
Field Researcher
#93 Old 1st Apr 2005 at 5:56 PM
Ok it's worked, but can it also add objects? I need another object in that file but obviously can't overwrite anything.
Field Researcher
#94 Old 1st Apr 2005 at 6:03 PM
save your package as something else now and then try it. Then you'll always have a backup. If you gave the mesh a unique name it won't overwrite but ?will it load?
Field Researcher
#95 Old 1st Apr 2005 at 6:11 PM
It doesn't wanna load in the new mesh. I called it metal so it can't overwrite anything cos nothing has the same name.
Instructor
#96 Old 2nd Apr 2005 at 3:52 AM
Hi I could use some help also. I've created a remeshed high chair. I figured out how to get the tray to animated, though I lost the groundshadow, not a biggy there. BUT i can't figure out how to get the textures to change to dirty like in the original high chair. I linked those textures to the original high chair. Ifyou could take a look at it I'd appreciate it. It's the highchair in this thread
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#97 Old 2nd Apr 2005 at 7:05 AM Last edited by Numenor : 2nd Apr 2005 at 10:36 AM.
SAMEKH:
To link the cloned object to the original, follow Procedure B in this tutorial:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=42014

Remember that using the original textures means that any custom textures created for your object are ignored; if you have created recolours for your bed, you have to use those textures for creating a recolour package for the colonial ironwood bed: your recolour will be available for both beds.

As for the asterisks, until you don't actually link the bed with the original, all the recolours contained in the recolour package, though they look exactly the same as the originals, are not the originals: therefore the game marks them as custom content.

SNOWSTORM:
I've examined your high chair; at a first glance seems that everything is OK, but if it never turns dirdy, there must be something wrong... Let me check this some more.

EDIT:
Snowstorm, your chair *gets* dirty, at least using the cheat to make it dirty "quickly": I couldn't wait until the chair should have gotten dirty in normal game. But my test proves that the dirty texture is correctly found and applied.
Therefore, if really the chair never gets dirty in normal game, this is related to the BHAVs: haven't you altered anything about them?

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Field Researcher
#98 Old 2nd Apr 2005 at 10:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
PISTACHIO: I see that you have followed my advice in the FAQ, correcting the GMND. Actually, the info I have provided are not complete: when you have corrected the GMND, you have to copy the name of the new texture (the one you created for the fabric), and paste it in the Material Definition for the fabric (replace the texture reference both in the "Properties" tab and in the "File List" tab of the Material Definition; the reference must be preceded by the ##0x1c050000! prefix).

The next version of SimPE will automatically create a stand-alone package even if the original object was "borrowing" the textures from other objects.

Thank you again Numenor for your advice - this has indeed fixed the texture on the loveseat, all now appears to be working fine with all items in this collection except I can't recolour any of them. I suspect this may be because I'm intrinsically too stupid and have missed something fundamental - that said the important thing for me atm is that they work, I'm exceptionally unbothered by the fact they can't be recoloured to the extent that I may just go ahead and publish them anyway!
The other issue someone has raised with a test object I did not that long ago is for some reason the ground shadow object shows as bright purple in their game - not blue (I got screenshots to confirm this wasn't just a subjective interpretation of the regular texture not found blue) and I'm fuzzled as to why this might occur and wondered if anyone could shed some light on this (excusing the terrible pun)?

www.parsimonious.org
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#99 Old 2nd Apr 2005 at 10:41 AM Last edited by Numenor : 2nd Apr 2005 at 10:45 AM.
PISTACHIO:
I think there might be a problem in the Material Override:
check your package following my check-list, and pay particular attention to the Material Override.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Instructor
#100 Old 2nd Apr 2005 at 1:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor

SNOWSTORM:
I've examined your high chair; at a first glance seems that everything is OK, but if it never turns dirdy, there must be something wrong... Let me check this some more.

EDIT:
Snowstorm, your chair *gets* dirty, at least using the cheat to make it dirty "quickly": I couldn't wait until the chair should have gotten dirty in normal game. But my test proves that the dirty texture is correctly found and applied.
Therefore, if really the chair never gets dirty in normal game, this is related to the BHAVs: haven't you altered anything about them?

No I haven't changed any BHAVs. I did replace the null mesh with a frame mesh to beable to split the frame out from the cushions though. No clue if that could affect it.
Page 4 of 15