Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Nov 2008 at 1:48 AM
Default BIG problem with SimPE
Before I decide to send in a report about this to the website for SimPE, I want to see if you all know the answer to my problem.

I've been trying to create objects (I'm fairly new to this so I'm trying to start out by cloning) and when I select the Object Workshop and press Start, the bar only fills up to like, 19%, and then it takes another hour or so for it to get higher. One night since I was busy, I left it like that, and when I got back it was still loading!!!

Why is the Object Workshop not loading?!

Please help me!!! Thanks in advance.

When the smoke clears, you can consider us even.
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 6th Nov 2008 at 8:29 AM
This isn't a SimPE bug (as such) just down to size and design. It loads everything at once into the user interface whereas it should have anticipated bloat and gone for a batch processing design.

There is a FAQ on the SimPE site that might help: http://simpeforum.ambertation.de/si...arger-in-memory

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
#3 Old 6th Nov 2008 at 8:46 AM
It might not be a coding bug, but it still sounds like a design bug. Is a fix for the situation planned?

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
#4 Old 6th Nov 2008 at 10:18 AM
No I don't think so. There is only one developer now, and he is in moderately stressful full time employment. We suggest using the workarounds.

Bear in mind Object Workshop is still operating successfully for the vast majority of users.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#5 Old 6th Nov 2008 at 12:35 PM
Is it possible that the load on the object workshop is caused by a lot of custom content?
#6 Old 6th Nov 2008 at 2:02 PM
That's one of the factors the FAQ addresses.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Nov 2008 at 3:28 AM
thanks Inge, I'll try doing what that FAQ said. I do have a large amount of custom content...maybe too much.

Anyways that is probably the problem.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 11th Nov 2008 at 5:36 PM
actually, I tried unticking all of the EPs and SPs I don't have, and got rid of the file path to my downloads folder, yet the object workshop still won't load all the way! It' still stuck on the loading bar! I don't know what to do now...I already tried reinstalling it too, but it just won't load...

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#9 Old 11th Nov 2008 at 5:41 PM
in the extra, preferences, system check (the big tick) is everything ok?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 11th Nov 2008 at 5:50 PM
i did the system check already, and it said everything was fine...

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#11 Old 11th Nov 2008 at 5:57 PM
Hi sorry to state the obvious, but you never know.....anyway, have you done a complete uninstall and then a clean install as shown on SimPE site? see below?

"Always do a New Directory/Clean install for this new release or if having trouble after installing a new QA release. Adding to or installing over previous installations usually work fine for QA tests but to avoid issues with a NEW RELEASE and what version or part version you might have already installed can cause conflicts that make it hard for us to help you fix when we do not know what files you might have installed over. SAVE yourself extra work and many bugreports by creating a new directory and doing a clean install before following the directions for installing. We can't tell you how important it is to be installing a new release as a clean install, its that important and a habit one should get into doing. This also will save you time if you encounter an issue in the new release that prevents you from using it the old version is available.
New Directory install simply means that you Create a new SimPE directory preferably with a new name such as C:\Program Files\SimPE_versionnumber (IE. C:\Program Files\SimPE_66) and then follow the steps below to install from an archive"
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 11th Nov 2008 at 10:20 PM Last edited by omgrawr213 : 11th Nov 2008 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Didn't completely finish post
Don't worry it's ok.

Ok well I just removed SimPE and all it's files and then re-installed it and unticked all the EPs and SPs that I don't have and the downloads folder. It's running a particularly long system check now...

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#13 Old 11th Nov 2008 at 10:37 PM
I am sorry to hear of all this - you did not say if this was your first time running SimPE - maybe you could try the previous version?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 12th Nov 2008 at 12:25 AM
I didn't know you could download a previous version..but the problem is that it may not support AL...

(btw this time the object search box came up while the object workshop was loading, but not much else..)

#15 Old 12th Nov 2008 at 8:29 AM
...as long as you don't try to use the wrong version for your EPs to edit game data. Usually it's ok for creating objects - but again you need to then make sure it is configured properly for finding the CEP files, because the latest version had extra support for some enhancements to CEP.

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#16 Old 12th Nov 2008 at 10:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Usually it's ok for creating objects

Will it be possible to make ALL AL objects? Or just objects from AL which have no special AL features (bookcases, telephones)

Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
make sure it is configured properly for finding the CEP files, because the latest version had extra support for some enhancements to CEP

Is it possible to use a "matching" older version of CEP with the previous SimPE?

@omgrawr213 - I see you have some recolours up on the site - I guessed you used SimPE for those - can't you roll back to the previous install? (System restore)
#17 Old 12th Nov 2008 at 10:47 AM
I am not sure Leesester. As I said earlier, the vast majority of users have no problems using the latest SimPE, and as I am one of that majority, I have not experimented at length with how seamfree the regressage can be. Just pointing out what is "safe" or not.

An old version of SimPE will "nag" if you try to use it for a higher EP than it was released for.

Mostly SimPE will just copy the resources into your new package without question, but for example if you use a pre-Pets version for a post-Pets game, it will not be able to deal with the new TTABs.

Ideally we would solve the question of why some people are having such huge problems, in spite of working through the size-reduction FAQ, while other people have no problems at all, or are able to sort them out with the FAQ.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 12th Nov 2008 at 11:40 PM
actually leesester, I used Wizards of SimPE for the recolors (if that's what you meant), which seems to work just fine, but when I get on to the SimPE program itself, it moves very slowly and does not respond most of the time. Maybe I'll try loading the Obj workshop again...I'm fairly skeptical though...

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#19 Old 12th Nov 2008 at 11:54 PM
good luck with the loading, hope to see some of your new stuff here soon......