Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Sep 2009 at 3:16 PM
Default possible to remove shine of round objects?
Hey there, it's me again

I created some round objects lately, a bubble bar for a bathroom and ferrero rocher. Those two are objects that do not have any shine in real life so I tried to get that effect in game, too but didn't succed.
First I tried to remove the reflection by setting it to 0 in the TXMT but this seems to make the game think that no light should be reflected by it because it's black in game.
I don't know if it is possible to change the settings in a way that would allow an object to be (nearly) completely matt, but if there is I would love to know.

So ...anyone here who can help me?

greets,
Mystic Rain

my sims 2 site: MysticRain Sims
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 8th Sep 2009 at 6:13 PM
Pixelhate's TXMT Info is exactly what you need to know how to change the TXMT to look like you would like. Shiny-ness is not just a single parameter.

Retired from the Sims world. Please continue to enjoy my creations. Thank you to everyone who helped -- by either giving me the tools and knowledge to create or by encouraging me & downloading my creations. The Sims community is the BEST!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Sep 2009 at 6:14 PM
ah okay, thank you
I already had one of these for the envcube some time ago and didn't think of it.
thanks for reminding me where I got it

greets,
Mystic Rain

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Sep 2009 at 9:27 AM
Okay, now I read throught the whole thing, played around with the txmt but I didn't find the right parameters to remove the shininess from the meshes :\
I already asked in another forum where someone had done this with their meshes but I never got an answer.

Is there anything I am missing?

greets,
Mystic Rain

Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 29th Sep 2009 at 11:17 AM
In general, for not-shiney materials you want:

StdMatEnvCubeMode = none
reflectivity = 0.8 (or higher -- it is one of those reciprocal kind of factors)

Retired from the Sims world. Please continue to enjoy my creations. Thank you to everyone who helped -- by either giving me the tools and knowledge to create or by encouraging me & downloading my creations. The Sims community is the BEST!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th Sep 2009 at 5:26 PM Last edited by MysticRain : 30th Sep 2009 at 8:21 PM.
ah okay, I didn't know I had to set the value higher. EnvCube was already disabled, I knew about that one.. I'll try it again, thank you for your answer!
Can I use any value I want or does it have to be between 0 and 1?

ETA: I found this command in the TXMT and I don't know what it stands for: "deprecatedStdMatInvDiffuseCoeffMultiplier" can you tell me if it has something to do with it?

ETA 2: Okay, i tried some values but they do not seem to influence the outcome very much. Do i have to do something else? I tried 1.0, 2.0, and 20 for the reflectivity but it still has this stupid shine on it.
So I took a mesh that had the shine remioved by its creator and checked the TXMT. It's exactly the same except she has normal mapping in it. but i can't believe that this is the difference that counts. I have no idea what to do now.

greets,
Mystic Rain

Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 30th Sep 2009 at 9:59 PM
Is the problem 'shine' or 'glow'? 'Glow-in-the-dark' (or light) is a different set of parameters. Maybe post the package.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 1st Oct 2009 at 10:12 AM
I think I mean shine -the light is reflected much too much by it, causing ..um.. star like bright flecks on the mesh in game. It's worse when it's outside.

Thank you for helping me, I'll attach the package.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  MysticRain-Fruit-Melon.rar (48.1 KB, 35 downloads) - View custom content

greets,
Mystic Rain

Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 1st Oct 2009 at 12:40 PM
Have you looked at it in game? It looks fine there. The preview function in SimPE does not seem to always reflect the TXMT values.
Screenshots

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st Oct 2009 at 7:19 PM Last edited by MysticRain : 1st Oct 2009 at 7:34 PM.
Yes, I have, I know about the preview. mhh it doesn't look fine in my game...
here are some screenshots:

The gradient is far too high for my taste -I have never seen a shining melon in rl oO
I want it to be really matt, with just a subtle lighter spot on top...
I already checked if it had to do with gunmod's radiance mod, but it doesn't make any difference.

How good is your graphics card? When I had a less powerful one, I didn't see this shininess.

greets,
Mystic Rain

Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 1st Oct 2009 at 7:50 PM
I have no idea how 'good' my graphics card is ... undoubtedly not top of the line. I didn't spend a fortune for it. I'm a hardware ludite.

The only thing I can think for you to try at this point would be to clone something that is suitably matte in your game, import a sphere as a mesh and then look to see if it has become shiney.

Sorry.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 1st Oct 2009 at 9:07 PM
No need to feel sorry
I don't understand it myself, you see, I kind of cloned the txmt from a matt object so...
No idea what to do *sigh*
I will not make any round objects *lol* until I find the answer..

thanks for the help anyway

greets,
Mystic Rain

Lab Assistant
#13 Old 2nd Oct 2009 at 10:15 AM
Try changing the colour for the stdMatSpecCoef. You have a very light colour in there and any time I have done that and left the spec power at 20, objects have a high sheen in-game. It's a specular colour. For normal-looking objects I usually use 0.17, 0.17, 0.17 or 0.25,0.25,0.25 and leave the spec power at 20. You can of course lower the spec power aswell, but if you're using a very dark colour, it should be ok.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 2nd Oct 2009 at 3:20 PM
Thank you, I will try that!
Hope it helps.

greets,
Mystic Rain

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 2nd Oct 2009 at 3:44 PM
Yes!! This actually does exactly what I tried to achieve!
Take my sincerest thanks

greets,
Mystic Rain

Lab Assistant
#16 Old 2nd Oct 2009 at 4:23 PM
Glad I could be of help!