Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#26 Old 11th Oct 2023 at 12:49 PM
I absolutely agree that a celebrity system is a pain if it means too many sims accidentally become celebrities. And one of the issues that I think Maxis (or EA really) succumbed to especially in later EPs is the temptation to show off new features by ensuring that they would happen in one of your very first play sessions after installing the EP. What they should have done to do this, really, is scripted events, like they had for the rare basegame features, like teens running away, the repoman, alien pregnancy, being jilted/cheating and jealousy, etc. I don't know if you need a neighbourhood for scripted events, or whether they can be put into individual bin houses. But there is a neighbourhood for most of these newer EPs anyway!

Instead (not so much in Nightlife, mostly in the later EPs) they simply made all the new EP features incredibly frequent and/or attractive to sims, to the point that they can completely take over, in a really unbalanced way. Like I seem to remember every sim who ever sprayed their crops becoming a Plantsim until I downloaded some kind of balancing fix, and there being some kind of fix at MATY for sims spontaneously combusting all the time - which I instantly installed because it sounded scary, and as a result never ever saw heatstroke until I downloaded "Temperature changes"! It's annoying and seems almost like it's aimed at players who just play the next EP for five minutes and then get bored, not actual long term fans of the game. It got extra irritating with all the idle animations in the very late EPs. I like the hobby animations, but there are some very stupid lack of checks, like when they are carrying a puppy or kitten and just mash them into the pages of the book they are reading (however this is vvv cute when they read while holding a toddler!) And don't even get me started on the Mansions & Gardens idle anims!!

BTW for the person who wanted a dating app, if you don't already have it, you might enjoy Twojeffs' Find-A-Mate Crystal ball, which is in the simbology archive folder and can be found in the catalog for $1000.

I like the Nightlife blind date calls - they are fun.

Ooh yes the restaurants are a bit glitchy - I think they could have just combined waiter and host, and I would have loved to be able to customise menus without it having to be an owned restaurant. Actually maybe the host podium could have been more customisable too - like a fancy restaurant one, which DOES need a separate host and waiter, a medium restaurant one where you wait to be seated but a waiter comes up to you to do this, and a fast food type restaurant, where it's counter service. Or these could have been added with OFB so that you could simulate different kinds of restaurant - the proper big NL style restaurants are just so difficult to run profitably.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 11th Oct 2023 at 1:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Aysarth
My big gripe with Nightlife is the dining system. I wish it stuck to the menu contained in the podium BCONs instead of switching to copies in the game code. Then you could make custom podiums, with custom menus, instead of needing all restaurants to be owned to change the menu.

Customizable menus without having to have a Sim own the business would be wonderful. It strikes me as hilarious when you have a casual diner serving lobster.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Inventor
#28 Old 11th Oct 2023 at 4:37 PM
Make Hans Trap Door corporation into a hotel with suites on the second floor and higher, and an observatory on the top. I've furnished it like that with an elevator behind the sales clerk and two rooms on either side of it, and hotel doors locked by default through coding. Just one floor to avoid the computer melting.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#29 Old 11th Oct 2023 at 5:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jonasn
Make Hans Trap Door corporation into a hotel with suites on the second floor and higher, and an observatory on the top. I've furnished it like that with an elevator behind the sales clerk and two rooms on either side of it, and hotel doors locked by default through coding. Just one floor to avoid the computer melting.

Have you shared pictures anywhere?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#30 Old 11th Oct 2023 at 6:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by omglo
Have you shared pictures anywhere?

Also, have you uploaded it anywhere?
Inventor
#31 Old 11th Oct 2023 at 6:38 PM
Well, I'm not an artist, so it it's as simple and you imagine. Also the hotel is not functional. I pretend to check in, and don't pay like you don't pay for any luxuries Downtown, but I might subtract some money. As you can see, I also managed to put winter on the lot by walking on it, so it's not clean according to community standards.

I had to make the doors allow people to exit when townies spawn inside, but they can't enter so a couple can have some privacy without them coming to eat. They have stuff to do in the common area.

Now the lot is full and people can't get struck by lightning. Portals are visible only while building.
Mad Poster
#32 Old 11th Oct 2023 at 6:42 PM
Well, I'm not an artist, so it it's as simple and you imagine. Also the hotel is not functional. I pretend to check in, and don't pay like you don't pay for any luxuries Downtown, but I might subtract some money. As you can see, I also managed to put winter on the lot by walking on it, so it's not clean according to community standards.

I had to make the doors allow people to exit when townies spawn inside, but they can't enter so a couple can have some privacy without them coming to eat. They have stuff to do in the common area.

Now the lot is full and people can't get struck by lightning. Portals are visible only while building.

Though you wouldn't be able to have other Sims visit it, it might be interesting to change it to a hotel-style apartment lot, you'd need a mod to make cashiers spawn in the store part.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Page 2 of 2