Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Feb 2017 at 12:35 PM
Default New outfit is solid black
This was the armor that was going to go with the helmet I made. The mesh looks fine in Milkshape (under all view settings, from shadeless to shaded to textured), and both mesh and texture look fine when I view them separately in SimPE, but when I view the outfit in-game it is solid black. It's supposed to be a sort of cadet blue with some gray and white areas.

I'm assuming this is a texture problem... but don't know for sure, which is why I put it in this category. :S Originally the texture was 1024x2048, but then I tried resizing it to 512x1024 in case the original size was too big. I've tried both DXT3 and DXT1 formats just in case that had something to do with it. Also tried "Smooth All" in case it was a shading problem with the mesh. No dice--it's always black.

I've tried searching for an answer online but all I could find was either mesh issues fixed with Smooth All, or problems with downloaded custom content that people were advised to simply delete. Is there anything I haven't tried yet that might fix this?
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 10th Feb 2017 at 12:47 PM
Interesting! At what step did this start happening - was it an issue with the recolour as soon as you made it, before linking to your custom mesh? Did it start happening after you linked the recolour to your mesh but before putting your texture into the recolour file? Or did it only happen once you'd linked the mesh and replaced the texture file?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 10th Feb 2017 at 1:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghostfishe
This was the armor that was going to go with the helmet I made. The mesh looks fine in Milkshape (under all view settings, from shadeless to shaded to textured), and both mesh and texture look fine when I view them separately in SimPE, but when I view the outfit in-game it is solid black. It's supposed to be a sort of cadet blue with some gray and white areas.

I'm assuming this is a texture problem... but don't know for sure, which is why I put it in this category. :S Originally the texture was 1024x2048, but then I tried resizing it to 512x1024 in case the original size was too big. I've tried both DXT3 and DXT1 formats just in case that had something to do with it. Also tried "Smooth All" in case it was a shading problem with the mesh. No dice--it's always black.

I've tried searching for an answer online but all I could find was either mesh issues fixed with Smooth All, or problems with downloaded custom content that people were advised to simply delete. Is there anything I haven't tried yet that might fix this?
It would help someone to help you if you present more details like take a screen shot of the milkshape view showing both the mesh and the specification like comments and names. Also tell in detaills as how you've linked this particular mesh. Meshes can look great in milkshape but not in bodyshop if there's a texture link problem.
Scholar
#4 Old 10th Feb 2017 at 3:45 PM
I know that object textures can be rectangular (with regular sizes), but I’ve always thought that clothes have to be 1024x1024 and any other size doesn’t work fine. Correct me if I’m wrong.

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 10th Feb 2017 at 4:12 PM
That's a good point - you always need to make sure your texture's aspect ratio is the same as the aspect ratio of the original texture (so if the original is 1024x1024, you can make it 2048x2048, but you can't make it 1024x2048), with objects as well afaik.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 11th Feb 2017 at 1:41 PM
Pretty sure I've changed the aspect ratio when making new objects and they worked fine. But now that I think about it, I have never seen any kind of body texture that wasn't a perfect square, so you guys are probably on to something there. I'll change the aspect ratio and see what happens.