Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#251 Old 18th Nov 2018 at 3:30 AM
I also pay attention to what community lot types I have, trying to remove redundancy. This to prevent that sims with similar traits won't divide over too many lots. I do this in any neighbourhood but even more so in a neighbourhood where I build my own community lots. As for newspapers and landline phones, I love TS3 for being able to set the theme for a neighbourhood.
I already use mods to control whether cars or boats are allowed. I even wish I could go further then that and control the type of cars and clothes For example, with Roaring Height, which has this classic Hollywood movie vibe to it, it would be cool to only allow pre 60s cars in that neighbourhood and bakelite landline phones etc. Or a western world without cars and just carts and horses.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#252 Old 18th Nov 2018 at 3:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mithrak_nl
As for newspapers and landline phones, I love TS3 for being able to set the theme for a neighbourhood.

I've been noticing some of your recent TS3 posts. I always understood what you were saying with your points about performance issues, but I'm so glad to hear that TS3 is still fun for you.

That's exactly why I don't bite peoples' heads off for having a different opinion. I have to deal with enough of that irl with other people towards me, and I'm too much of a mediator anyway.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Scholar
#253 Old 18th Nov 2018 at 1:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jathom95
I've been noticing some of your recent TS3 posts. I always understood what you were saying with your points about performance issues, but I'm so glad to hear that TS3 is still fun for you.

That's exactly why I don't bite peoples' heads off for having a different opinion. I have to deal with enough of that irl with other people towards me, and I'm too much of a mediator anyway.

I have always been very passionate about my favourite games. TS3 is one of them. But I tend to criticise them just as hard as I love them. I don't criticise games that I am not interested in playing, unless it is the next installment from a franchise I love (TS4, Fallout 76 etc). But this is more about being afraid that one of my favourite franchises will change for the worse (for my liking ofc).
I do realise though that some people rather don't like to read any criticism about their favourite game at all, but fortunately it is allowed on these forums and most regulars here seem to agree.

When I am interested in purchasing a game, the first thing I always do is check the negative user reviews on Steam (and ofc gameplay vids etc). This is very useful for me, because while I know in general what types of games I like, I also know by now what I don't like in a game. And this is often about details for me. So to me criticism is always very useful. And the more elaborate negative reviews can be quite helpful in deciding if I like that game and whether there is a chance for improvement (for if it is in early access or something).

Anyway, I also tend to beat a dead horse sometimes (me about TS3 performance :p). Maybe it is the squishy sound it makes or I hope it will rise as an undead horse. I don't know.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#254 Old 18th Jan 2019 at 4:47 AM
What I find funny about comments such as that is that no one 95% of the time ever lists the reasons they're dissatisfied with with the open world concept, short of two things.

1) It "lags" the game (I hate this one so much)
2) There's Nothing To Doâ„¢

That second one really crawls up my skin whenever I read it, and I refuse to believe that anyone who states it has played the game longer than five minutes. There's a lot of reasons one may not like TS3. How the game looks (subjective, and can be tweaked endlessly to a specific player's liking.) Possibly too advanced and involving for someone who just wants to jump right in and play. Maybe some just really don't like an open world Sims game.

But you cannot, CANNOT say this game offers nothing for you to do. If someone is bull-headed enough to make an assessment such as that without even giving the game a chance, I have no patience for that.

Mad Poster
#255 Old 18th Jan 2019 at 10:11 AM
Can we maybe stop talking about people who dislike TS3 for their own shitty reasons? I feel like this topic has gone on to a point where all that's left to do is get irrationally mad. Maybe that's just me, though.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#256 Old 18th Jan 2019 at 1:51 PM
I changed my name years ago, this is merely a correction.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#257 Old 19th Jan 2019 at 4:46 AM Last edited by Jathom95 : 19th Jan 2019 at 5:03 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
I feel like this topic has gone on to a point where all that's left to do is get irrationally mad.

If it were any other topic, I'd likely agree with you. But the entire purpose of this thread when I created it was to shed some light on the ridiculous and, stealing a word you used in your post, irrational criticisms that people speak of about TS3 to this day. I agree with getting worked up over nothing isn't productive, as was in my post. But for myself, no matter how much I can sit here and criticize other Sims games, I will never call someone out for liking what they prefer. What I've found with TS3 players especially is that many, not all, of us are able to describe in detail what we like/don't like about our respective games. That's part of the appeal to me, sharing and hearing other peoples' thoughts. And just because someone may not agree that TS3 is their favorite Sims game, that doesn't mean I'm going to lambaste their preferences. I might tell them issues I might have with their specific favorite that keep me from fully enjoying it, but that's as far as it goes. At the end of the day, it's a hobby and form of entertainment, and no two people enjoy the same things.

Now, take something as simple as GC's quote from someone's criticism of TS3. "Open worlds are glitchy and terrible." That comment espouses my issue with several common complaints that I hear regularly. It provides little to no context about why this particular person thinks this way. Why is it glitchy and terrible? Lag? Routing issues? Taking too long to get from Point A to B? Which is it? And more often than not, you'll never get an actual answer, short of "idk man, it just sucks." It's like some group mentality where everyone just jumps in to make jabs at TS3 because everyone else is doing it, and more often than not I seriously doubt that many of them ever played for any reasonable length of time to form that conclusion on their own.

Inventor
#258 Old 19th Jan 2019 at 6:24 AM
I must be very lucky because I don't have any problems getting 10 to 20 Sims on any community lot. In fact as soon as my Sim arrives, the game starts sending Sims non-stop to that lot, which is kinda creepy but better for gameplay. It really surprised me the other day in Riverview when as soon as my Sim arrived at the greenhouse, the game sent 5 Sims in the blink of an eye. And they didn't just stand there, they started to do thing, socialize, dance, etc.

I also get a good amount of Sims when my artists perform, usually 10 or more.

Nightclubs are also pretty packed:

When people claim their Sims 3 is a ghost town I think to myself "They must be playing a different Sims 3, because mine doesn't have that problem"
I think it must CPU related. I remember getting 3 to 5 Sims before upgrading my CPU 1.5 years ago. Most people play on non-gaming laptops and they usually have mediocre CPUs.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#259 Old 19th Jan 2019 at 6:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
I think it must CPU related. I remember getting 3 to 5 Sims before upgrading my CPU 1.5 years ago. Most people play on non-gaming laptops and they usually have mediocre CPUs.

That's because it is, the better your CPU, the more Sims that show up. Not to mention actual game mechanics that "push" Sims to a specific lot, such as hotspots from LN.

And I will most definitely agree that no one has the right to complain if they're not even following the spec requirements, they're there for a reason. TS3 has a lot of problems, but if your rig isn't even appropriate to be gaming on in the first place, why are you complaining?

And even if it wasn't tied to your CPU, I'd take fewer Sims over Sims coming out of nowhere the second you enter the lot, instead of already being there.

Inventor
#260 Old 19th Jan 2019 at 6:53 AM
And I will most definitely agree that no one has the right to complain if they're not even following the spec requirements, they're there for a reason. TS3 has a lot of problems, but if your rig isn't even appropriate to be gaming on in the first place, why are you complaining?

The response I usually get when I point that out is that "not everyone has the money to buy a gaming PC. We have bills to pay!!!!!"
Admitely TS3 requirements are deceiving, especially as you start adding more and more EPs. But I think any mid-range gaming PC from 2014 onwards should be able to have a very decent performance.

And even if it wasn't tied to your CPU, I'd take fewer Sims over Sims coming out of nowhere the second you enter the lot, instead of already being there.

The Sims 3 at least pushes Sims that are doing nothing to community lots. I wouldn't like kids that should be at school or adults that should be working to be pushed just to make the venue fuller. In The Sims 4 there's also this HUGE inconsistency problem of Sims from Oasis Springs appearing in Winderbug and instantly in Del Sol Valley. It breaks immersion when you see all these Sims using Game of Thrones' fast travel plot device to traverse long distances in between loading screens. It definitely contributes to the feeling that I'm on a movie set I get everytime I play The Sims 4.
Mad Poster
#262 Old 19th Jan 2019 at 3:35 PM
I can take the specs thing a bit further, and in keeping with the theme of this thread.

"What do you mean my laptop isn't strong enough to play TS3? It's brand new, I just paid $175 (USD) for it. I have a right to play this game, the same as anyone else, and you cannot tell me differently."

Have seen this a few times on the EA forums, soon followed by reports that their shiny new laptop was ruined, it's all the game's fault and that of other players trying to help explain what was going to happen, and then they get banned for the ensuing downright rudeness. Of course at least some of them could be trolls and were making this all up for attention, but I fear some of them were genuinely upset would-be players.

I also expect these people might try to make their sub-par 3-cylinder economy cars go 200 mph on a race track on a regular basis because they have a "right" to do so. That is, if they are old enough both physically and mentally to drive.
Top Secret Researcher
#263 Old 19th Jan 2019 at 4:24 PM
To see what computers run which games, and even test your own computer: https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

Sims are better than us.
Mad Poster
#264 Old 19th Jan 2019 at 4:36 PM Last edited by igazor : 21st Jan 2019 at 8:04 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
To see what computers run which games, and even test your own computer: https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

Is this supposed to be an example of irrational things that players say or are you being serious? It's difficult to tell sometimes.

Those Can You Run It sites are useless to the point of being dangerous. I got curious and just checked my system against that thing and it didin't even get my hard drive free space and video memory right, it overstated both by miles. It said I should enjoy playing TS3 on this system, though I really stopped paying attention to the report after that.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#265 Old 19th Jan 2019 at 8:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
Then add all the bugs in for TS4 and it's a hot mess.

EA's entire model for updating/fixing TS4 as a "live service" is a hot mess. They've gotten even less diligent than once a month recently, and that is downright atrocious. No software is ever going to be 100% bug free, but for a game in the hot seat like TS4, you'd figure they'd want their actual game to work properly and double down on some of the issues that get reported for TS4 daily. But, since they obviously don't know how to handle angry players who just want to be able to play what they paid for, I guess it's a moot point anyway.

And I get so sick of people defending the so-called "SimGurus" that are in charge this go-around. Admittedly, the one's that are public on Twitter, etc are just a small fraction of the dev team, but people like Grant certainly don't help their case. I've lurked on the official forums, and there are entire threads blatantly telling people to "stop" arguing and that we all need to be grateful for the content they're releasing. There's few things that get me more than telling me what to do about something that I potentially paid for, which I did for TS4 when it was released. No, I will not be "grateful" when they just sit there and lie to our faces and tell us they've got us figured out. That's not how the cookie crumbles in my book.

Inventor
#266 Old 19th Jan 2019 at 9:09 PM
Talking about people who claim community lots are empty, lilsimsie (an EA Game Changer) claims she doesn't want The Sims 5 have an open world for that reason:

The crazy thing is that she also plays The Sims 3 on her channel and she DOES get 7 or more people at any community lot (even a library), so I've no idea why she's saying that.
Inventor
#267 Old 19th Jan 2019 at 9:25 PM
there are entire threads blatantly telling people to "stop" arguing and that we all need to be grateful for the content they're releasing.

READ THIS AND BE HORRIFIED
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#268 Old 19th Jan 2019 at 9:25 PM
Talking about people who claim community lots are empty, lilsimsie (an EA Game Changer) claims she doesn't want The Sims 5 have an open world for that reason

And I'll tell you why that's exactly the reason that I can't get into TS4, nor any other Sims game that continues this trend. Because there's no substance to anything. When you travel to a community lot in TS4, every single one of them is open 24/7. When you first arrive, there's absolutely no one there. Sims are pulled from the exact same pool of Sims to fill the lot every time unless you use mods, all to give you the illusion that it's a living breathing world. Which it absolutely is not. Never mind the fact that worlds that would be days apart in real life have Sims magically appear wherever to again make the venues seem lively.

Don't even get me started on how nothing at all happens to anybody unless you intervene. Yes, I understand that not everyone enjoys SP (well, at least how NRaas SP handles it.) But, that's why you do something called I-M-P-R-O-V-I-N-G a concept than scrapping it completely.

Forum Resident
#270 Old 20th Jan 2019 at 8:42 AM
I... can only view that post as some kind of rant under the influence of some substance. Not one iota of that made any friggin sense. The only bit that seemed literate is "waaah sims 3 is ugly"
And we've heard it a thousand times.

Touching on the empty community lots thing... not sure if I've mentioned it before, but in my experience, if you try to cram EVERY kind of venue, comm lot, bar or club into your world, you're going to end up with two sims in one place, one in another bar, three in one more and so on. If you limit your world to one or two clubs or venues, and change the lot designation ( like, from dance club to disco club, to learn drink recipes etc ) you're going to have lots that are far more populated. My community lots are never empty, or limited to one of two sims, because I don't ram every available lot into my world.

And I don't pay any attention to these so-called game changers. I don't need some EA yes-man to do my thinking for me.
It's just a shame that the squealers are the only kind of people chosen for such things, rather than anyone who can be balanced in their opinions. Then again, that isn't what EA want anyway.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
InnaLisa Pose Archive
Scholar
#271 Old 20th Jan 2019 at 1:37 PM Last edited by Elynda : 20th Jan 2019 at 1:56 PM.
I've been hesitant about getting involved in this issue because, as others have correctly pointed out, its all a matter of personal likes and dislikes and nobody should be slamming others for liking something different. I've never played TS4, and I would no more criticize it as a game than I would criticize a book I'd never read. Although I have known some people do just that.

But of all the criticisms leveled at TS3, it is the one about 'ugly Sims' that I find the most baffling. Sure, you get some unfortunate game generated puddings roaming about the place. It is also possible to create some real monstrosities, either intentionally, or because (as seems to be the case with some creators) somebody has very peculiar ideas about what a human face or body should look like. It's all a matter of personal taste, obviously, but do these critics really think it's not possible to create beautiful Sims in TS3? Well I like to think I've created some passably decent looking sims myself, and I've seen other simmers do better.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Forum Resident
#272 Old 20th Jan 2019 at 4:19 PM
I really don't get the TS3 "ugly Sims" complaint. I actually find TS4 Sims more unattractive, especially the men. I think I've only seen two TS4 male Sims that I've found attractive.

Edit: I guess I should specify that I get the complaint when you use vanilla Sims without CC, but I really think that slider mods fixed that issue.
Mad Poster
#273 Old 20th Jan 2019 at 4:25 PM
I find that a signifcant proportion of the Sims community (especially on Facebook & Reddit) doesn't use mods, or used only aesthetic CC (not any game-changing mods). That means a lot of people are getting a flawed and heavily truncated Sims 3 experience, which is made worse with the more CC they use. On top of that, many people have mid-range computers that can't run the Sims 3 at its best settings- you'd be surprised at the number of screenshots without shadows or antialiasing.

No wonder why people "like" the Sims 4- the base game + a few expansions "look" better and run better out of the box. The Sims 3 takes more work to set up, make beautiful and run efficiently, but gosh darn if it's the most liberated (and environmentally stunning) version of the Sims out there.

I've stuck by its side all this time because there literally isn't another extensively moddable open-world life simulator out there at the moment.
Inventor
#274 Old 20th Jan 2019 at 4:31 PM Last edited by Naus Allien : 20th Jan 2019 at 4:43 PM.
Ugly? Maybe with default skin and only using EA's sliders. My Sims are GORGEOUS, if I do say so myself...

In contrast, The Sims 4 are prettier out of the box but they all look more or less the same and animations kinda ruin them (especially the grining every 5 seconds).
Mad Poster
#275 Old 20th Jan 2019 at 4:42 PM
Ugly? Maybe with default skin and only using EA's sliders. My Sims are GORGEOUS, if I do say so myself...

In contrast, The Sims 4 are prettier out of the box but they all look more or less the same and animations kinda of ruin them (especially the grining every 5 seconds).

Yes, think of the Sims 3 sims running at Medium detail and no antialiasing with only EA skin and hair. No wonder they think the Sims 4 sims look better out of the box, a shame what they're missing out on, though.

I also find that a frighteningly large amount of these sort of casual players are also semi-computer-illiterate- they think the store is where the only extra content is, think mods crash their computer, and don't bother to improve their experience in any other way.

Oh, and don't forget the sheer number of people who take pictures of the fricking screen with their phones.
Page 11 of 12