Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 1:40 AM Last edited by tiggerypum : 8th Apr 2006 at 5:35 PM.
Default MTS2 Mesh Tool FAQ & Help thread (old thread)
This thread is way out of date.... look for the newest meshtool tutorials or the newest meshtool thread for info.....

-- end edit by Tiggerypum April 2006 ---

Ask your questions about the mesh tool in here.

Please read the FAQ thread before asking a question here.

Where can I download the Mesh tool program from?

Follow the link on the mesh tool`s site: http://meshtool.modthesims2.com/

Where do I start?

Try reading http://katiestuff.com/yss/read/?read=modapps (thanks yggdrasil)

Can I use it to make new body/hair meshes?

You can`t make completely new body or hair meshes at this time, you can however make some changes to existing body/hair meshes from the game.

What file formats does it support?

The mesh tool ONLY supports OBJ files. You will need to export or convert other file formats (max 3ds ma etc) into OBJ before using the Mesh Tool.

Can I make new animations with it?

Not at the current time, not enough is known about the way in which animations work. We are currently working on this.

Where is the export button in Simpe, to export a mesh to a OBJ file?
you need to download Delphy`s mesh extracter from :
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=32166

If you have any problems with getting this to work, please read the whole thread and ask your questions in there, not in the Mesh tool help thread

I`ve got my new object into the game, but it doesn`t animate like the original version did. What`s wrong with it?

If you used the "new object wizard" feature of the mesh tool, then objects created that way will not be animated (we are currently working on this).
To allow a object to still be animated , you need to modify a existing object and import it back by treating it as a modified object in the mesh tool (ie not using the wizard feature).

Do I need to know how to use SimPE (or Datgen) to be able to use this?

Yes, you must extract the gmdc file from a package using SimPE and then replace the new one back into the package.

Can I make changes to the way a sim behaves with a object using this program?

No, this is only used for changing the graphics of a object, you must use SimPE or some other tool if you want to change anything else.

What 3D program do you recommend?

Everyone has their own favorites, so it`s not easy to recommend one.
Some popular/common ones are Maya, 3ds studio max, Lightwave, gmax, Milkshake, blender.

A very good comparison of them is at http://katiestuff.com/yss/read/?read=3d (Thanks yggdrasil)

What is the difference between the mesh tool and the milkshake plug-ins ?

The milkshake plug-ins are written by Wes_h, and are a great easy to use way of importing objects into the game, if you use Milkshake. (currently all animation data on a object is lost if you use the plug-ins to import a object, but Wes is close to adding support for a least some of this data to be kept/created/edited. )

The Mesh Tool is written by Delphy and myself, and takes a different aprroach (but shares the same goals) to the Milkshake plug-ins, it is a stand alone program which coverts 3d formats (currently only the OBJ file format, but this will soon change) into the format the game uses.
It also allows some changes to be made to existing objects from the game, while keeping the animation data intact. So some changes can be made to body meshes and hair styles.
We too will be adding more animation support soon.

So they are both ways to get new objects into the game, they just take slightly different approaches.

The Mesh Tool says I need vertex normals

That is correct. You must have these and texture coordinates. If it comes up with an error saying you need these - DO NOT ASK US FOR HELP! This is a setting specific to your 3d program. If you cannot find the setting yourself, check the settings, or program forums.

I've made a new hair or body mesh, what do I do with it?

Hair and body meshes can ONLY be imported into the game if you first export the original, modify the vertices and reimport with ONLY the vertices. You MUST go into Settings in the Mesh Tool and deselect everything except vertices if you are attempting this kind of import.

My object is appearing very dark

If you are going through the wizard, and get a warning about not having vertex normals, and just click through the next stage, this can cause the problem. Wait for the next version to fix it

The background of the Mesh Tool is very dark

Change your Windows Application background colour or colour scheme to a lighter one.

I can't click Next in the wizard! Whats up?

Have you made sure you are loading the correct filetype? (OBJ) Are you clicking on the word next properly?

Why can't I click on create SHPE and GMND files? It's greyed out

These are currently disabled in this version.

Why can't I do X?

Have you read all the FAQs? Read them again Also check http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=41903

My object is flashing blue, or the original object still appears! Help!

Please read http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=42014

I don't get the Export to OBJ button in SimPE

Please see the Optional download on the meshtool download page and READ the first post in that thread. http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=32166

Can I use it to make objects for a pay site?

Yes we have decided that objects created with it can be placed on pay sites. As long as some type of credit, in the release notes of any object created with it, is given that is was created with this program and includes a link back to our program, and that our program itself is not added to any other site, and is only available from here (www.modthesims2.com)
Advertisement
#2 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 1:47 AM
Do you really want to open that can of worms in here. I have a thousand questions, but it might take a year to answere all of them in this format. LOL just kidding, but nice of you of you to ask.
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 1:53 AM
The questions are going to be asked (if I like it or not), so I`d rather they all be asked in one thread, rather than a seperate thread for each question.
Test Subject
#4 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 1:58 AM
Can we download the Tortue device that was in the previews, the Rack?
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 2:01 AM
Thats up to the person who made it, to release.
#6 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 2:06 AM
At last word, I thought it would be a few days befor I could get my hands on this little gem. . . . Give me a day, and I sure I can find a logical question or two.

Thanx again to Delph and company. Your efforts have not gone un-noticed.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 2:21 AM Last edited by Miche : 30th Jan 2005 at 2:34 AM. Reason: I clicked wrong button.
How do you clone clothes and hair (or are they in ow and I just can't find them?)

You guys sooo rock.

BriAnna
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#8 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 2:33 AM
You can`t really clone them, you have to extract all the required files and then place them in a package and then change the links between the files and other details. I`m not really sure how the beta testers mangaed it in the end, but I know they had problems to start with working out how.

Maybe one of them can reply and answer your question better.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 2:34 AM
Ah. I'll try figuring it out. Thanks so much.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#10 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 2:40 AM
You can also grab the modified social bunny or the mini skirts and look at the packages to see how they did it.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 2:48 AM
mesh tool
First off is it out, am if so where can i download .
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#12 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 2:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by seresv
First off is it out, am if so where can i download .

You can find the link , in the FAQ thread.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 3:03 AM
First off thank you guys so much for all your hard work.

I've followed the tutorial and did a quick object which appears fine in the game but the catalog picture shows up blank. The textures show up right it's just missing a catalog picture. Any clue what may cause this?

Also my object has 2 meshes and the shape data has 6 files. Two I replaced with my mesh and the other ones are shadows I believe. Is it safe to just delete these?
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#14 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 3:09 AM
Not sure why the catalog picture isn`t showing up, this normally happens when the object doesn`t show up.

As for the shape entries , if they are no longer used, then yes it should be okay to delete them, or just leave them in as long as they aren`t linking any meshes with MATD files (which actualy exist) they shouldn`t do any harm.
Test Subject
#15 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 3:18 AM Last edited by Paper : 30th Jan 2005 at 3:22 AM.
Ok, I have a question having to do with Blender3d. Whenever I try to export something to the .obj format, it doesn't seem to save and I still get the standard toilet popping up whenever I load it. Would someone that has used Blender before tell me what I'm doing wrong or direct me to a tutorial?
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#16 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 3:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Paper
Ok, I have a question having to do with Blender3d. Whenever I try to export something to the .obj format, it doesn't seem to save and I still get the standard toilet popping up whenever I load it. Would someone that has used Blender before tell me what I'm doing wrong or direct me to a tutorial?

you might want to see if anyone else has had the same problem in the blender forums
http://www.blender.org/modules.php?...pBB2&file=index

or ask in there.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 3:35 AM
when u rextexure the new object, will the template be changed?
Field Researcher
#18 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 3:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Miche
Not sure why the catalog picture isn`t showing up, this normally happens when the object doesn`t show up.

As for the shape entries , if they are no longer used, then yes it should be okay to delete them, or just leave them in as long as they aren`t linking any meshes with MATD files (which actualy exist) they shouldn`t do any harm.

Now it is showing up and I have no clue what I did to fix it. :werd: Oh, well it was a test object anyways.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 3:55 AM
I can't even get to the part where I use the Mesh Tool. The Export to OBJ button flat out isn't there, and I AM using the newest version of SimPe. I've tried 014f and 014h, the button doesn't show up.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 3:55 AM Last edited by MimeWhite : 30th Jan 2005 at 4:28 AM.
I have a noob question ...,
how do I get the preview picture to show up?

*edit oh wait I saw someone already ask about this,,
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 3:59 AM
I've gone over the tutorials several times now but the old object is still showing up. :confused:
What do I do?
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 4:03 AM
Really happy the tool is out...you people are the best! :clap:

Question: Will this process allow application of transparent textures? (such as Oberkorn's "Fire Crystals")
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 4:06 AM
So does this mean we can have anatomically correct males. If so get the clinking.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 4:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Saikatsu
I can't even get to the part where I use the Mesh Tool. The Export to OBJ button flat out isn't there, and I AM using the newest version of SimPe. I've tried 014f and 014h, the button doesn't show up.

You need this.
http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=32166

"Studies show that 60% of the time, it works every time."
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 4:10 AM Last edited by Saikatsu : 30th Jan 2005 at 4:15 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Nemi
You need this.
http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=32166

Haha, I KNEW I had to be missing some sort of file, but it wasn't mentioned on the tutorial page. Thanks. <3 Now I can do stupid things like make penguin statues, or make a decorative object out of the Zora Sapphire I modeled back in 12th grade... or other junk I did in 12th grade cause it was done in 3DS.

EDIT: Now... I just have to figure out where one gets the plugin for 3ds5 to import from OBJ format. Blasted thing.
Locked thread
Page 1 of 20