Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 5th Jul 2006 at 2:48 PM
Rib640
"A bumpmap is a layer that you add to a flat image to give it the

looks of a 3D thing. Just clone your image, then emboss and set

the blending mode to soft light. It isnt always the same for all

the image editing programs though. Just try and experience a

bit But the basic is always the same, which I told you up there

:-)."

I guess what everyone is trying to do is allow walls to have bump maps, right? From this short quote by Rib640 I found out how to bump a picture. Isn't this all that needs to be done? Our eyes don't look at the technical stuff. Our Eyes look at the depth in the picture. If we were to bump a picture and then save it as a picture file, we would see a bumped picture. If we use this picture to create a wall texture in HomeCrafter, wouldn't our walls look bumped. I don't really see how that idea could be technically challenged. It seems quite logical. I could be wrong though.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#27 Old 5th Jul 2006 at 7:04 PM
Some default wallpapers have bump-maps already...
HCP wallpapers have default bump-maps already.
What sparked out for discusion here is how to edit the bump-map in the field of package-editing.

The thing about bump-map is that there're global settings that can darken and/or brighten the textures of wallpapers, floor tiles, terrain paints and etc... The dark lining of bump-map may not be affected by those filterings so to show these coverings in greater details... Beside, black graffitis or linings as bump-maps can be easily reused in a series without making more textures (that can eat up more resources) by repository method...

Yet, adding a bump-map will increase the file sizes from the start.
It really depends on what one needs in a set.

So, there're goods and bads about it. Just make your own decisions dependent on what you need.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#28 Old 15th Jul 2006 at 8:42 AM Last edited by niol : 15th Jul 2006 at 9:37 AM.
Default Effects of graphic formats on normal map/bump map presentation in-game....
All,

Not much something very new about the use of bump-map.
The format of the bump-map can affect how they're presented in-game.

for e.g.,

DXT3 gives the left result.
RAW8bit gives the right result.

The second pic is the used bump-map

How to change the format?
Just import the graphic by any means (including build DXT), then click on the format box to alter the format..., commit and save.
Screenshots
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#29 Old 15th Jul 2006 at 9:08 AM
Aha! Playing about with that might affect how my corduroy sofa looks too. That has not turned out entirely realistic so far
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#30 Old 15th Jul 2006 at 11:09 AM Last edited by niol : 26th Jul 2006 at 4:36 AM.
RAW8bit bumpmap seems to be great to make graffiti on any wallpapers... in my cases... while reusing existing wallpaper base maps...by means ofthe repository method... :D

So, there can be a set of graffiti bump-maps and wallpaper base maps to make their combinations...

Added info:
Settings for pool-wallpapers here
Page 2 of 2