Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th May 2018 at 12:05 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, Nightlife, Seasons
Default The Sims 2 Graphics Rule DirectX Error Message Will Not Let Me Open Game
Hi guys,

I have seriously messed up my computer and I have no idea how to fix it. So I have a Windows 10 HP Envy computer (used to be Windows 8 but updated a few years back), and I decided to download The Sims 2 Double Deluxe, The Sims 2 Seasons, and The Sims 2 Teen Style Stuff on it yesterday. In the past, I have only played The Sims 2 on older computers, but other than some glitches occasionally I have never had any problems. However, when I created a family and moved them into a lot, the best way to describe it is that the screen started "flickering" every time I moved or rotated the screen. Thinking this was unusual, I went to Google to seek some help. One link I found had me download the Graphics Rule Maker. It was able to find my The Sims 2 Double Deluxe game, however when I tried to apply the desired changes, this message keeps appearing:

Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system! Please make sure you have a DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate.

So now the game will not open at all. I tried reverting back to "Default Settings" listed in Graphics Rule Maker, which still made the same message appear. I tried uninstalling Graphics Rule Maker, and the same message appears. I even just uninstalled and re-installed all of my The Sims 2 games, but even went I just tried to open the game again after the re-installation, the same message appears. I am super worried that I will not be able to play The Sims 2 on this computer. I would rather have the flickering than nothing at all. Does anyone know how I can get this message to stop appearing so I can open the game?

And once that is done, can anyone help me figure out how to get rid of the flickering? I have attached the config-log.txt file for reference. Thank you so much to whoever can help!!!
Attached files:
File Type: txt  MADISON-LAPTOP-config-log.txt (9.6 KB, 24 downloads)
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 27th May 2018 at 12:05 PM
So did you replace the graphic rules file with your back up?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#3 Old 27th May 2018 at 12:26 PM
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th May 2018 at 2:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
So did you replace the graphic rules file with your back up?

Well I assumed when I uninstalled and then reinstalled the game that it would go back to default settings? Is that not the case? I am not very tech savy.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#5 Old 29th May 2018 at 5:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mam03
Well I assumed when I uninstalled and then reinstalled the game that it would go back to default settings? Is that not the case? I am not very tech savy.

Oh I see you did say you uninstalled (you usually don't need to do that btw). I would guess it would depend on whether the uninstallation process deleted all the files and folders. I would suggest replacing the graphic rules files with the back up you made of it.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc