Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#76 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 4:36 PM
Melody and taizhu- if you haven't already, backup your CAW userdata (Documents\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3 Create A World Tool\ UserToolData) and completely uninstall CAW, then clear your browser caches and redownload CAW from here.

Before you reinstall that, just check that you don't still have any custom content in CAW (remove the Packages folder if it is there, from Program Files\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3 Create a World Tool, and also delete the Resource.cfg file). Then install that Worldtool executable, verify that all works well, and if it does then put back your userdata files.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#77 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 5:44 PM Last edited by taizhu : 7th Nov 2010 at 7:48 PM.
Ok. I will try all that and see if that works! Thanks for the response!

Edited to add (11/06): Well I tried the fix above but it hasn't helped. My problem is that when I open either Sunset valley or Riverview Lite it works. But I am trying to create a version of Bridgeport that I can edit (according to the instructions posted elsewhere in this form). When I open those files (or any of my old .world files) I get the same crashing error.

Does this mean I can only edit brand new empty maps with CAW?

Edited again to add (11/07): Figured it out! Somehow all my .world files were being labeled as read-only in their folder. This is why I was getting an error. Hopefully they are not somehow corrupted--but I am able to open in CAW and EIG OK. Thanks for your help!
Lab Assistant
#78 Old 8th Nov 2010 at 3:22 PM
I also followed your steps, but it's still not working. Still the same problem... I can't open the intern height maps. Only the tiny ones. But when I open them, they don't show up in CAW. I get only a blue/green screen, where the map should be. I had no such problems with the patch 1.15 CAW version... But now that I got the latest patch, it's not working anymore, even the updatet one not. QAQ

EDIT: Alright, now it does show the map, but still only the tiny ones. I don't understend, why CAW's not opening the larger maps. ôo Why is it telling me, they are not PNGs? They ARE PNGs! Man, that really sucks. <.<
Forum Resident
#79 Old 8th Nov 2010 at 8:57 PM
I had the same error message after the last update, did the uninstall, reinstall bit. What finally fixed it was I started using LAA, (Large Address Aware). Don't ask me why it works now, I have no idea.
Lab Assistant
#80 Old 8th Nov 2010 at 10:40 PM Last edited by melody2 : 8th Nov 2010 at 11:17 PM.
LAA?? I thought the latest patch already fixes this problem. ôo Well, I do have Windows 7, 64-bit. But I never had this errors before in CAW... It started with the latest patch, and I have no idea what to do. Well, in case the new patch does not use LAA, where can I get a program or something for it? Guess I'll have to try it out.

EDIT: YAY!!! IT WORKS!!! Finally! So, that was the problem. Not enough RAM: Well, now CAW can use all of my 4 GiB Ram. Thank you so much. ^^
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#81 Old 9th Nov 2010 at 1:27 AM
Well done for getting it working, taizhu, auntielynds and melody2!
Test Subject
#82 Old 17th Nov 2010 at 1:07 AM
Default help
i tried doing all you guys did, but still comes the "attempted to read or write from protected memory" error.

I dont know what to do

Sorry for my bad english...
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#83 Old 17th Nov 2010 at 2:54 AM
bbrunoss - Did you try to get the Large Address Aware working? Go to this page to download the program and for information on how to configure it. You need to download .net Framework 3.5 or newer from Microsoft.
Field Researcher
#84 Old 17th Nov 2010 at 3:16 PM
For me it works fine if I open it with Administrator Rights in Windows 7.
Test Subject
#85 Old 17th Nov 2010 at 10:19 PM
@Porkypine, I tried that LAA thing, but it didn't work. Started a new world and when editting the terrair level it crashes. I've got Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Cliet Profile. Is it OK?

My PC specifications are:

Intel Core I3 530 @ 2.93 Ghz.
2 GB RAM
Ati HD5770 Video Card
Windows 7 32 bits

Thanks for your help!!
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#86 Old 28th Nov 2010 at 8:07 PM
I have been having similar problems. I used CAW a lot after getting Ambitions but then my computer crashed and I lost everything. I just downloaded CAW finally yesterday; I open Riverview Lite, start working and partway in, it crashes with this error and/or "CAW failed to shut down properly" even though I was not attempting to shut anything down. It seems to always happen when I try to terrain paint. I can edit the terrain and add roads and stuff, just not do any painting.

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Test Subject
#87 Old 19th Dec 2010 at 6:32 PM
Hey, I do realize this thread is a tad old but I am having this problem. I have recently installed Sims 3 Deluxe, which comes with Ambitions and Basegame and I installed WA. The CAW never worked for me and I get the message every single time I try to terrain sculpt. (Also some hieghtmaps refuse to open) I have extensively tried to research the problem and I can't get it to work.

I did see a fix though, and it was to downgrade your game to a previous patch but I can't do that because the version I installed is pathed with the latest 1.8 patch. I would be really glad if people can start finding a fix, I really want to start making worlds.

Edit to show Specs:
Windows 7
Manufacture: eMachines
Model: ET1331G
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II x2 235e Processor 2.70GHz
Installed Memory(RAM): 6.00GB (5.75 usable)
System Type: 64-bit Operating System
Vid Card: NVIDA GeForce 6150SE
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#88 Old 19th Dec 2010 at 10:50 PM
sorko, have you made your CAW executable Large Adress Aware?
Test Subject
#89 Old 20th Dec 2010 at 12:05 AM
Actually, Simsample, I did. I just was able to fix it today.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#90 Old 20th Dec 2010 at 7:08 AM
Did it help with your problem?
Test Subject
#91 Old 20th Dec 2010 at 3:24 PM
I had that LAA thing in CAW.exe, CFF helped
Just give that exe >2gb of RAM and it should work. This post will help: http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...lp:CFF_Explorer
BTW, I have all EP's and SP's installed, lots of CC and Awesomemod too
Test Subject
#92 Old 19th Mar 2011 at 6:43 PM
I wanted to say Thank You and confirm that the above fix (CFF Explorer) resolved my CAW memory error using CAW version 0.1.0.1082 and with all Sims 3 expansions and stuff packs installed (up to Outdoor Living) on version 7.0.55.010001. This was a world saver!
Lab Assistant
#93 Old 20th Mar 2011 at 7:26 AM
I'm going to try this CFF Explorer thingy but I have one question: When I'm all done and finished with building my world with CAW - let's say I do that before the next update - can I put back in my backed-up exe files to play my game?

*****NOTE: If you use this method, you need to keep the backup of the exe file you changed with CFF Explorer.
When you update your game, you will need to copy the backup exe back to folder and replace the edited exe file*****
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#94 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 7:26 PM
divalbw2- there is no need to replace the executables with the backed up files unless you need to patch the game (as the patcher will recognise that they are not the original files). The backup is just so that you have the original in case you need it (or in case something goes wrong), but you can just leave the modified exes there as they are doing what you want (which is to recognise more of your RAM).
Lab Assistant
#95 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 10:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
divalbw2- there is no need to replace the executables with the backed up files unless you need to patch the game (as the patcher will recognise that they are not the original files). The backup is just so that you have the original in case you need it (or in case something goes wrong), but you can just leave the modified exes there as they are doing what you want (which is to recognise more of your RAM).

Cool..... and thanks for replying. I have, in the meantime, used LAA - which is doing a fantastic job at the moment!! No crashes with CAW at all! So I have yet to use CFF. I think I will stick with this (LAA) to play my game as well untill and unless I come across another problem. But thanks a million for your help. I've read and learned some valuable stuff from you and others from reading the forums. Good to know help is out there.
Page 4 of 4