Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 11:20 PM
Default Rooves
Does anyone know if we can make different parts of a roof different heights? If so, how?

CC4Sims
Love will humiliate you and hate will cradle you.
Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits.
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 11:46 PM
I believe that there is no way to do this.
Test Subject
#3 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 8:51 AM
Confirm that you cannot do this, Sorry
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 5:31 PM
I am thinking you cant as i dont see a way to do it. *sigh*

CC4Sims
Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits.
Test Subject
#5 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 7:24 PM
Default Roof slopes
Quote: Originally posted by Christine11778
Does anyone know if we can make different parts of a roof different heights? If so, how?

In building mode, in the roof section, there is a slider to do that.

Good luck!
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 11:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LaFouine4814
In building mode, in the roof section, there is a slider to do that.

Good luck!

I know this, it doesnt do separate sections. Meaning if i want to make a spire a higher height than the rest of the roof I can't.

CC4Sims
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 9:20 AM
You can, turn off auto roof, draw on the roof that you wish to adjust and then use the slider.
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 6:15 PM
I have done that, but it adjusts the whole roof to the same height.

CC4Sims
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 10:16 PM
I just used it last night, and it worked for me.

I also used two different roof types, maybe you can set the height/slope of each roof type individually?
Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 10:36 PM
I have tried it didnt work for me. I used two different types of rooves and still the same height.

CC4Sims
Test Subject
#11 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 1:10 AM
The height slider controls all roofs unfortionetly. The only way you can make them different height is by having them different sizes, but that limit sucks
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 8:34 AM
I hope they re-implement the seperate slider that Sims 2 had. It made roofing much more interesting.
Test Subject
#13 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 3:19 PM
There is a house that you can download here at mts that definitely uses individual roof slopes, so there has to be a way to do it.

I mean this house: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=344299, which is really nice btw

"Death is the only cure for stupidity." - Faye (Cowboy Bebop)
Scholar
Original Poster
#14 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 6:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Pixiestick
There is a house that you can download here at mts that definitely uses individual roof slopes, so there has to be a way to do it.

I mean this house: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=344299, which is really nice btw

Actually, I don't think there is a difference in the roof pitch for that house.

CC4Sims
Test Subject
#15 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 10:53 PM
erm, sure it is.
just look at that screen: https://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/...63_HWBarn01.jpg

edit:
and the creator described it as well:
http://www.modthesims.info/showpost...820&postcount=4
Test Subject
#16 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 2:47 AM
It's an old trick used from Sims 2 ...... problem I had with it was that you had to reset the roof slopes every game as it didn't save.

Very simple set all rooves at the highest slope ....... Use your sledge hammer tool to remove the roof you want to keep at this angle ....... modify the slope for the rest of the house with the slider then hit the undoo button to replace the roof with the greater slope angle. Maybe it will work better with the sims 3.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 3:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Christine11778
Actually, I don't think there is a difference in the roof pitch for that house.

There is a difference between the side roof on the left and the rest, but it's not the most obvious difference. Probably only 5-10 degree difference in the slope, but it's there .

Quote: Originally posted by bassnut
It's an old trick used from Sims 2 ...... problem I had with it was that you had to reset the roof slopes every game as it didn't save.

Very simple set all rooves at the highest slope ....... Use your sledge hammer tool to remove the roof you want to keep at this angle ....... modify the slope for the rest of the house with the slider then hit the undoo button to replace the roof with the greater slope angle. Maybe it will work better with the sims 3.

This is right, back in TS2 it wasn't very reliable. It's exactly the same procedure, add all the roof you want then set slope Angle A and sledgehammer those pieces, set Angle B and hit undo to bring back the roof sections with Angle A. So far I've tried it on a few houses in TS3 (only uploaded the one that's been linked already, thus far) but it seems to be much more reliable now, it doesn't seem to reset the roof angle to the last input like before in either Edit Town or Live mode.

I'll take some screenshots tomorrow and see if I can post a mini tutorial here somewhere if that'd help .
Instructor
#18 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 3:35 PM
Another good way to have a spire taller than the rest of the roof parts is to use mansard roofing. It has to have at least one tile above it though or it acts just like regular rooves.