Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
mature minion
retired moderator
#51 Old 20th Oct 2011 at 5:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
I'm not sure I like the effect on the inside. Just a hollow something
http://***/smileys-hug-001.php

Yeah, the only problem with this is what it looks like under the ground through the windows from the inside. It is possible to create a small artificial room to stop people seeing the "void" below the ground but its a bit of a faff really
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 28th Oct 2011 at 2:55 AM
Hey guys, I can't seem to get past the step where you place the second set of staircases on the foundation to the ground at the top of the staircases leading down into the basement. The selected stairs (which show up as a full flight of sixteen stairs versus the required four) turn red and I get "Can't intersect other objects." I've tried to place the staircase with CFE on and off, moveobjects on and off as well (just in case...) I followed your steps exactly, although the ground is already lowered around the far corner of my basement due to the shape of the world, but the basement tool brought the ground up to level, when it's done I'm planning on "peeking" it through in that corner, and sculpting the terrain to match the world terrain. I don't really think that's my problem. I'm building a house on the side of a mountain and I wanted to try to incorporate a daylight basement, however the terrain is too steep so I was just going to peek that corner through, but I just can't place the freaking stairs!
I'm sure it's something small and stupid but it's way beyond me at this point.
Anybody know what I should do?

Also, once the basement is completed, how is a roof and/or second story (or main floor, as the case may be) added on top of this? I noticed in your pictures there are no gridlines above the excavated basement for placing walls or floors, so I'm curious as to how that works.
mature minion
retired moderator
#53 Old 28th Oct 2011 at 8:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Dramamine
Hey guys, I can't seem to get past the step where you place the second set of staircases on the foundation to the ground at the top of the staircases leading down into the basement. The selected stairs (which show up as a full flight of sixteen stairs versus the required four) turn red and I get "Can't intersect other objects." I've tried to place the staircase with CFE on and off, moveobjects on and off as well (just in case...) I followed your steps exactly, although the ground is already lowered around the far corner of my basement due to the shape of the world, but the basement tool brought the ground up to level, when it's done I'm planning on "peeking" it through in that corner, and sculpting the terrain to match the world terrain. I don't really think that's my problem. I'm building a house on the side of a mountain and I wanted to try to incorporate a daylight basement, however the terrain is too steep so I was just going to peek that corner through, but I just can't place the freaking stairs!
I'm sure it's something small and stupid but it's way beyond me at this point.
Anybody know what I should do?

Also, once the basement is completed, how is a roof and/or second story (or main floor, as the case may be) added on top of this? I noticed in your pictures there are no gridlines above the excavated basement for placing walls or floors, so I'm curious as to how that works.

About placing the second set of stairs, a few things to check namely :

is the foundation the right height (ie four clicks not the same height as a wall?)
and is the surrounding terrain level (I've found that uneven terrain surrounding where I want to do this can be unhelpful.

About the second issue, I found that if you try to place walls direct above the void it wont let you place them so you have to place a wall from one square outside your "excavated" section and hold the wall tool down and drag across to the far side to get a long wall running across the gap, then place the floor tiles above, then delete the wall you don't want!
dodgy builder
#54 Old 28th Oct 2011 at 4:29 PM
You also have to make sure no windows or any objects if where you want the stairs to be. I took the liberty of making a video tutorial too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqn_QvMlG_0

Take a look at my house in the feedback forum. I have posted some pictures of the windows from the inside. I think the effect on the inside is a major drawback, but how major? http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...4&goto=lastpost
dodgy builder
#55 Old 31st Oct 2011 at 7:40 PM
I just think this is a major problem. If I'm suppose to have sunlight in, it would be nice to see out as well.

By skaribanan at 2011-10-31

Compared to this?

The thing is ... I just remembered before I tossed all my lots away with pets. When I had the stairs in there, and just a little infront of the windows. Then I did have a view out. Because I do have a view out in the floor above and can look down.

So perhaps I'm back to having those stairs then?
mature minion
retired moderator
#56 Old 1st Nov 2011 at 8:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
I just think this is a major problem. If I'm suppose to have sunlight in, it would be nice to see out as well.

Compared to this?

The thing is ... I just remembered before I tossed all my lots away with pets. When I had the stairs in there, and just a little infront of the windows. Then I did have a view out. Because I do have a view out in the floor above and can look down.

So perhaps I'm back to having those stairs then?

I'm not sure what you're doing differently but I can see out of my windows...

For example:

Admittedly they look better much better from the outside but I still think its worth the effect from the inside for that.
dodgy builder
#57 Old 1st Nov 2011 at 6:09 PM
I got pets too, that might make it different. I can go back to the tutorial to see if I'm doing anything different. It can't be the removal of the wall on the ground floor to uncover the windows, because then I wouldn't be able to see in either.
Page 3 of 3