Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th May 2011 at 2:52 AM
Default 3/4 wall height foundation wall?
I saw a house which had a short sloped driveway (3 tiles long) into the ground floor "basement," then had the main living level up 3/4 wall height.

Here's a picture of the garage:

So I started my own type of this house; this is the garage so far:

I have the short sloped driveway and the terrain is leveled at one short staircase down (rather than the usual three staircases down). I wanted the main level to be 3/4 high, rather than 1/4, which is why I did it this way.

But... when I tried to surround the "basement" wall with a foundation, I hit a problem...

With CFE still on, when I placed the foundation, the rest of the wall lowered to standard foundation height. So I undid that and turned off CFE. But when I tried to place the foundation, I got a "can't level terrain" error message.

If you look at the first picture, you can see that the builder used a foundation wall around the perimeter, and it's 3/4 wall height.

Does anyone know how this can be accomplised?
Advertisement
The other one
#2 Old 18th May 2011 at 4:38 AM
Lay the foundation with CFE on and let the edges fall to 1/4 wall height. Then when the foundation is all down build one tile of wall somewhere inside your basement. If you go up a level you'll see this will cause the ceiling tiles to distort because the one tile of wall you just placed will be the same height you started with (in this case 3/4 height from exterior ground). Use the level terrain tool starting at the wall you just build to level the rest of the house to the same height.

Guys, rules are good! Rules help control the fun. ~ Monica E. Geller
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th May 2011 at 6:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by missroxor
Lay the foundation with CFE on and let the edges fall to 1/4 wall height. Then when the foundation is all down build one tile of wall somewhere inside your basement. If you go up a level you'll see this will cause the ceiling tiles to distort because the one tile of wall you just placed will be the same height you started with (in this case 3/4 height from exterior ground). Use the level terrain tool starting at the wall you just build to level the rest of the house to the same height.

Before I saw your response, I figured out a way to do it by building up the terrain to two short staircases taller. (I checked this by placing two staircases to make sure the bottom was level with the ground. It was. *grin*) Then I had to play with turning CFE on and off while I was working, in order to make the floor above fully flat and build-able.

Here's a picture of the new house in progress, with the 3/4 height foundation in place. I've added 2 doors on the "basement" level (the actual ground level of the building), so that there should be no routing issues when playing the house. We'll see when I actually test it. *fingers crossed*

The other one
#4 Old 18th May 2011 at 6:56 AM
There's a couple of different ways of doing it, I don't tend to use foundations at all (though I know they're cheaper...old habits die hard I guess), as long as you find something that works for you

Guys, rules are good! Rules help control the fun. ~ Monica E. Geller