Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 6:41 PM
Default How do you make a new neighborhood?
I thought I knew how to make a new hood, I copied town, thought that would do it, it didn't, just wondering if anyone knows how to do this.
I appreciate any guidance and thanks for your time in advance

Sue
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 7:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by must be dreaming
I thought I knew how to make a new hood, I copied town, thought that would do it, it didn't, just wondering if anyone knows how to do this.
I appreciate any guidance and thanks for your time in advance

Sue

Maxis will release a tool in a few weeks that lets you build neighborhoods
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 7:30 PM
Thank you so much for the info!
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 8:49 PM
Or you could make a copy of your existing hood & just delete all lots in it & start over then save it as another hood. Lol!

I like work, it fascinates me.
I could sit & watch it all day!

Simmodders UK
Test Subject
#5 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 8:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by red_dragons
Or you could make a copy of your existing hood & just delete all lots in it & start over then save it as another hood. Lol!

1. that may cause problems with community lots and workplaces.
2. thats not a custom neighborhood its just re arranging stuff.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 9:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by red_dragons

Thats what I thought I was doing, I made a copy and well can't even find the copy, also I wondered if a copy woudn't still have some things named or coded or tagged the same (sorry I'm not technical) that might mess up my existing hood I copied from, don't know enough to know I could do it safely.
Have you done this?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 9:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by halfwing
1. that may cause problems with community lots and workplaces.
2. thats not a custom neighborhood its just re arranging stuff.

We posted at the same time, thanks, thats what I was wondering, I'll just play it safe and wait
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 6:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by halfwing
Maxis will release a tool in a few weeks that lets you build neighborhoods

Really? o.O that would be great! May i ask where you heard this from? i'd like to read up on it a bit =)
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 6:42 AM
Making a copy of the neighborhood and deleting all of the lots is one way to make different neighborhoods here and now - it comes with a few issues though. If you delete the buildings that offer you jobs (they are predefined and cannot be designed - like a decor object). You can ofcourse do backups of the important lots - but then comes the trouble. Some official lots won't "plop" back into their original slots. Such one for me is the 3 building plaza, with the Theatre & Bookshop. :/
Instructor
#10 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 10:05 AM
I have created an empty version of Sunset Valley and Riverview, versions with and without the required community lots. The ones with no community lots at all are purely for builders and the ones that have the required lots are for those of you who want to make your own hood from scratch.

It's just in the queue now.

Find me on YouTube!
Flabaliki - General gaming
TheSimSupply - Videos all about The Sims!
Instructor
#11 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 4:25 PM
Default Game Saves per Neighborhood
Quote: Originally posted by must be dreaming
Thats what I thought I was doing, I made a copy and well can't even find the copy, also I wondered if a copy woudn't still have some things named or coded or tagged the same (sorry I'm not technical) that might mess up my existing hood I copied from, don't know enough to know I could do it safely.
Have you done this?

From playing the sims 3, for the last few days: You have one game save to represent a single neighborhood (you can have multiple saves with different configurations - just choose the save from the menu at the start) and each save will not alter anything in the base-neighborhood's files (i.e. all the original content is still contained in the file - your game save (.sims3) is like a differential package - it only contains the changes). This won't, in any way, mess up the original neighborhood.

Moreover, I wanted to write a tool to allow simmers to have a utility that would allow them to browser a list of .sim3 save files and be able to switch save files out on a per-neighborhood basis (I have some of the issues with the S3PI library sorted-out, but the problem lies in what data to read from the files, ehh oh well).

All TS2 Downloads Link
All TS3 Downloads: Link
All Other downloads: Link
Skyrim SKSE 1.6.x gamepad key support: Link