Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Feb 2019 at 12:08 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Main hood crashes but subhood (Downtown) does not
I am playing Sims 2 UC. I have created a custom hood (using SimCity4 template) which is currently clean and empty (by intent) of Sims. I completed all the buildings in the main hood as well as all hood decor. The hood is mostly finished, just need to add townies and create sims for playing. Before doing that, I have been working on the downtown subhood and am about halfway through with it. I just downloaded a bunch of wonderful hood decor from the always-awesome Criquette and it all works in the subhood, but I tried to go back to the main hood and it crashes every time before loading. The last time I looked at the main hood was yesterday and it did not crash. Does anyone know why the main hood would crash but not the subhood? I have a lot of custom content and I will go through it to see if that is the problem, but it seems strange since I have not made any changes to the main hood in quite some time and have only been changing the subhood, and it is not crashing at all.

I have run hood checker and it didn't show any conflicts. I have also run Sims2Pack and eliminated all duplicates from my downloads folder. I also deleted the caches. I will start removing the most recently added custom content to see if that fixes it, but just wondered if anyone has any thoughts about what else could be causing this...?

“I say let the world go to hell, but I should always have my tea.”
--Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#2 Old 8th Feb 2019 at 2:37 AM
Update: I disabled custom content, restarted the game and the main hood works, low and behold, but I don't know what the game considers CC because everything appears to still be in place EXCEPT for the onion domes on my churches...

--Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 8th Feb 2019 at 2:41 AM
Sounds like a piece of bad cc. Bad cc doesn't mean a conflict, just that something is wrong with it. If you have better nightlife by Criquette , that is what I would remove first, that gave me pink flashing.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 8th Feb 2019 at 6:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Sounds like a piece of bad cc. Bad cc doesn't mean a conflict, just that something is wrong with it. If you have better nightlife by Criquette , that is what I would remove first, that gave me pink flashing.

Yep, I have that and a lot of content that works with it, but it didn't give me problems before. I'll just have to remove the files one by one until I find what is causing the problem.

Such FUN!

--Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Mad Poster
#5 Old 8th Feb 2019 at 7:36 AM
I've had that happen when adding too much hood deco (100+ trees). I think there's just a limit of how much the game engine can handle.

You already have it solved, but for future reference, I made a throwaway hood, used HoodReplace to copy the terrain to it, and then copied it back without the deco.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Feb 2019 at 8:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
I've had that happen when adding too much hood deco (100+ trees). I think there's just a limit of how much the game engine can handle.

You already have it solved, but for future reference, I made a throwaway hood, used HoodReplace to copy the terrain to it, and then copied it back without the deco.

I am guilty of using thousands of trees. I hope it doesn't come to that but thanks for the advice

--Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 11th Feb 2019 at 10:52 AM
So I removed a ton of CC, going by the dates that I added them to the game. I got all the way back to like April, 2018 and the main hood continued to bork out while the subhood would still open. Finally figured it can't be the CC at this point and got hubs to help me narrow the culprit of this crash down.

Turns out it was not the CC that was crashing my hood. We noticed that on the same day the problem started, 2 programs were installed on the computer (according to our add/remove programs screen). The programs are titled Visual C++ 2013 and there is a 32 bit and 64 bit version. They were installed during an Origin update (Verified by Origin's Install log). During this update, Origin also performed an update/repair of Sims 2. The program files were updated and every modification was reverted to its original state. Fortunately we had a backup of the program files from an earlier time and once we loaded that into the The Sims 2 Programs folder the neighborhood loaded again!

So, again, it was NOT the CC - it was an update from Origin which knocked out mods and overwrote them with the original game files! And it was program files, not documents files, which were changed bu the Origin update.

Is there any way to prevent Origin from doing this?

*Also, has anyone else been affected by the Origin update (which happened just a few days ago)?

--Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Alchemist
#8 Old 11th Feb 2019 at 11:58 AM Last edited by Sunrader : 11th Feb 2019 at 4:04 PM.
I'm not connected to Origin, but can you block their access? I had to do that with Adobe because they updated every few days. Also, if you make your files read-only will it stop the updating? I'm running Windows 7 with no connection to Origin, but I live in fear of Origin and Windows 10, so I like to know these things.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 11th Feb 2019 at 12:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
I'm not connected to Origin, but can you block their access? I had to do that with Adobe because the updated every few days. Also, if you make your files read-only will it stop the updating? I'm running Windows 7 with no connection to Origin, but I live in fear of Origin and Windows 10, so I like to know these things.

Thank you. yes, I found a setting where I could block their updates, thank goodness!

--Fyodor Dostoyevsky