Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Oct 2010 at 10:23 PM Last edited by Ambular : 14th Oct 2010 at 6:49 AM.
Default Moving the clock hands. Also, TSRW and s3pe
I'm building a new clock, and I know how to assign the hands to the appropriate joints, but they sit in a different location than the original clock's did. How can I make them appear in the appropriate place and still work? (I am using TSR's Object Workshop but I do have s3pe, S3OC and the Object Cloner and have experimented with them some, so I'll try to follow any directions that are offered.)
Advertisement
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#2 Old 11th Oct 2010 at 12:58 AM
First you'll need to download and install atavera's wrappers for s3pe:
Quote:
Extract into your S3PE folder. The RIG Resource wrapper requires granny2.dll. You can download it for free at http://www.radgametools.com/granny/download.html it is included in the "Granny Crowd Scene Demo". This must be placed in your S3PE directory.

Once you got that, open the clock in S3PE and select the RIG resource. Open it in Grid, go to Rig Data/Skeleton/Bones and find the bones named "_bind_0_clockHandMinute" and "_bind_0_clockHandHour"(I think). Then go to Local Transform/Position and enter the coordinates where you want the bones to be. Press OK, Commit, and save the package.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Oct 2010 at 1:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by cmomoney
First you'll need to download and install atavera's wrappers for s3pe:

Once you got that, open the clock in S3PE and select the RIG resource. Open it in Grid, go to Rig Data/Skeleton/Bones and find the bones named "_bind_0_clockHandMinute" and "_bind_0_clockHandHour"(I think). Then go to Local Transform/Position and enter the coordinates where you want the bones to be. Press OK, Commit, and save the package.

Thanks very much! I'll give it a try!
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Oct 2010 at 8:27 AM Last edited by Ambular : 13th Oct 2010 at 9:03 AM.
Okay, I've been trying to get this to work, and I am having two issues, which may or may not be related:

1. How do I figure out the correct coordinates, and what format does S3PE want? I can't work it out by trial and error, because:

2. Every time I try to edit the file in s3pe, it disappears from the game. I can open the package and save it again without making any changes and it works fine, but it seems if I actually change anything it kills the object.

Help? I have, as far as I can tell, the latest versions of all the programs and plugins and such.

ETA: Like the OP in this thread, I am also running Windows 7. Could that have anything to do with it?

ETA2: Curiouser and curiouser...Compressorizing the file also seems to make it vanish. I've run a whole slew of tests, starting over each time from an unaltered, working copy: the Dashboard finds nothing wrong with the file and decrapifying it doesn't help. Neither does deleting the caches. Once it's been changed in any way, it's dead. Any other ideas?
Alchemist
#5 Old 13th Oct 2010 at 12:28 PM
Is this object something you made in TSRW and are now trying to edit with s3pe? If you originally created it in TSRW and then make changes to it in S3PE I think it won't show in the catalog anymore.

I think this plugin from Peter is supposed to get around this issue:

http://dino.drealm.info/den/denforu...php?topic=193.0

Have you tried that?
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#6 Old 13th Oct 2010 at 3:33 PM
The only time I've tried that plugin it made TSRW crash, and this was just last week. And the disappearing in game from editing in S3PE after making in TSRW still is a problem. That was part of the same test last week. The compressing issue, could be the same thing if you made it in TSRW. If you have made it in TSRW, try exporting as a sims3pack, then unpacking using Delphy's multi installer thingy to a .package. This will make the packages compressed.
Alchemist
#7 Old 14th Oct 2010 at 12:26 AM
That's too bad...have you reported the issue to Peter? I had no idea there were problems with the plugin since I haven't seen conversation about it and I won't have TSRW on my machine.

Ambular, since there is this issue you might have to create the whole object from clone on up with the tool-set here. It's my impression that TSRW just doesn't have the functionality to do what you're wantin' to do although I could be wrong about that...as I said...I don't use it. Have you tried asking about this at the TSRW forum?
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 14th Oct 2010 at 1:05 AM
Okay. To clarify: I've been exporting from TSRWS as a .sims3pack and then extracting the .package right along as I've worked on the project, and the extracted packages work fine until I try to change them further. I have Peter's plugin, but I don't think it's working; I don't get the option under Edit > Project Contents > Edit to open the file in s3pe. All I get is the DBPF Entry Editor, which I assume is native to TSRWS and does not appear to give me access to the resources I need to change.

I double-checked and I'm positive the Workshop, the plugin, the multi extractor and S3PE are all the most recent versions available and that the plugin DLL is in the correct place.

Starting to wonder if I may have to just abandon TSRWS, re-clone the object the hard way in S3PE and just use my existing meshes and textures now that they're more or less complete. I tried following the tutorial without much luck once already, though, and that was before I even attempted to add any presets (the clock currently has 4.) Either that or I may just have to release it as a non-functional decorative item. :/

ETA: I did check the TSRW forum and they don't appear to be very interested in delving into more complex issues like this. Which is hardly surprising; TSR never has been what you'd call a bastion of modding innovation. I only resorted to the Workshop when I found the tools here too frustrating, but perhaps now that I've got a slightly better grasp of what each resource does, I'll be able to figure it out better.

I hope someone does manage to sort it all out eventually, though. I can't be the only person who is having or will have the same problem, and TSRW seems useful if only for the preview function.
Alchemist
#9 Old 14th Oct 2010 at 1:09 AM
I think that the transition you're making from an object created with TSRW to editing that object using S3PE is why your object isn't showing up.

If you're sure you have everything in place and that the plugin isn't working I suggest you let Peter and Inge know about that so maybe it could be fixed.

In the meantime, you might have to create this project using the tool set here. Given that TSRW doesn't allow you to do what you want it's unclear to me why going that route would be the "hard way".
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 14th Oct 2010 at 1:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
I think that the transition you're making from an object created with TSRW to editing that object using S3PE is why your object isn't showing up.

If you're sure you have everything in place and that the plugin isn't working I suggest you let Peter and Inge know about that so maybe it could be fixed.

In the meantime, you might have to create this project using the tool set here. Given that TSRW doesn't allow you to do what you want it's unclear to me why going that route would be the "hard way".

I'll let Peter and Inge know. As to why it's the hard way, I say that mainly because using the tools here requires at least three separate programs, decompiling, recompiling, two additional meshes and I'm not sure yet what else, without the benefit of a graphical preview. I understand why the tool-makers decided to go a different route this time, but I suspect I'm going to be missing good old bloated one-stop SimPE for a long time to come.

Thanks, everyone, for your help.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 14th Oct 2010 at 1:25 AM
The tsrw-s3pe plugin should work, just not for the rig resource. The plugin has to tell tsrw which resources it(s3pe) can edit, and the rig resource is not exactly a standard for s3pe.
Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 14th Oct 2010 at 1:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by atavera
The tsrw-s3pe plugin should work, just not for the rig resource. The plugin has to tell tsrw which resources it(s3pe) can edit, and the rig resource is not exactly a standard for s3pe.

Oooh. Well, that's good to know, I guess. Thanks for the info.

ETA: Apparently the plugin (or something connected to the Edit function, at least) is also crashing TSRW for me when I try to edit DDS resources. (Posting about it here as a general FYI and because I already left a link to his thread for Inge.)
Instructor
Original Poster
#13 Old 14th Oct 2010 at 3:39 AM
Think I found the solution, thanks to Jynx at Simlogical. Apparently the problem is caused by extra crap data added by TSRW.

The solution is, immediately after exporting the .sims3pack and exporting the .package file, to open it in s3pe, export all the files and import them into a new, empty package. This strips out whatever gook was causing the problem. I'm now able to edit my clock file without issues.

Hope this info proves useful to others. Thanks again, everyone!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#15 Old 27th Dec 2010 at 11:10 AM
We also updated the plugin to allow all resources to pass via it. This makes sense now we have more 3rd party wrappers available.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)