Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Feb 2019 at 4:56 AM
I want better graphics
Hello, everyone. First things first I have to say this is my first post here at MTS, I hope I'm posting this new thread on the right place, if I'm not, please correct me.

So, I've been playing The Sims 2 for Windows since 2007 and I used to play it on PC's and the graphics were great, but since around 2012 I started playing it on laptops, and I have to say I enjoy it far much more than playing it on a PC.
But my graphics are now really bad. I've never noticed it before but when I look at pictures posted here or I watch gameplays on YouTube I can definitely see that my graphics are lame .
I do realize that PC's have better video cards and are far superior to laptos for gaming in general, but I don't really want to go back at playing in PC's, unless, of course, I didn't have another choice.
And I also realize that I am supossed to adjust the graphic preferences to the highest possible, and I did, a long time ago, but it's not even close to how it used to be on a PC.

My current game looks sort of like that:

I already tried the ''How to get rid of solid blue water and hay grass on neighborhood view'' tutorial, it didn't work, because I have an Intel HD Graphics card, and I am aware that this is a bad graphic card for playing games such as The Sims 2.

So I am wondering, is it possible for me to change my graphics card or to exchange it for a better one? Or do I have to purchase a new laptop, a ''gaming/gamer laptop''? The first option would be more suitable to me but if I had to I would try to save money to buy a better laptop.

I do not know the name of the laptop I am currently using, since it's kind of old and it was a gift from my parents.

What graphic card is the best for The Sims 2 or what laptop should I buy to have the best performance playing Sims 2?

The reason why I decided to post it here instead of any other gaming forum/website is because I only play The Sims 2, it is literally the only game I play.

Thank you very much in advance :lovestruc
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 20th Feb 2019 at 5:15 AM
Do you have the 4 gb patch on and have you done your graphic rules?

What graphics card do you have and other computer specs?

If you are on an old laptop you may not want or be able to improve the graphics as doing so might stress it to the point of not working. Older laptops with old chips (rather than proper graphic cards) have been known to heat up and melt on the motherboard frying the entire laptop. So first you need to determine if it's safe to try and improve things.

I am using a Nvidea GeForce 1050it

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#3 Old 20th Feb 2019 at 7:08 AM
If your laptop and card is old, it may be time for a new one and nothing may work or indeed, like Jo says above, wear out your laptop sooner - so perhaps a new one is a good idea.

However: there are some players using Intel Cards successfully that I know of - so this is what you can try before spending money:

Go to http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=5446

First, you can try the Graphics Rules Maker on top of the page

or

There are 3 cards there to use with Intel (go down with the page to the list of cards available). You will have to find the correct one for your laptop and install it manually. (I don't know why manual installing sometimes seem to work better than the Graphics Rules Maker, but it does seem to help some players, including myself).
Scholar
#4 Old 20th Feb 2019 at 6:24 PM
how "old" is said laptop? In regard to real Sims2 performance (not beautified with filters and hi-res textures) anything from i3-2xxx goes OK (Intel HD 3000).

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Alchemist
#5 Old 20th Feb 2019 at 7:26 PM
following cheat might help:: boolprop simpleTerrain false
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 20th Feb 2019 at 7:57 PM
I use an aged laptop (from around 2013/2014) with an integrated video card (Intel HD Graphics 4000) and I as able to improve the graphics by using the Graphics Rule Maker and turning all instances of "boolprop simpleTerrain" from true to false in the Graphics Rule file. Unless you use a really very old laptop, I think you should try it first.

The way I see it, you don't need a powerful, "hardcore gamer-y" video card to play a 14 years old game like The Sims 2.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th Feb 2019 at 8:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Do you have the 4 gb patch on and have you done your graphic rules?

What graphics card do you have and other computer specs?

If you are on an old laptop you may not want or be able to improve the graphics as doing so might stress it to the point of not working. Older laptops with old chips (rather than proper graphic cards) have been known to heat up and melt on the motherboard frying the entire laptop. So first you need to determine if it's safe to try and improve things.

I am using a Nvidea GeForce 1050it

My laptop is an ASUS model X555LF 1.0, the graphics are Intel (R) HD Graphics 5500. Does that help? I'm really naive about technology.

This laptop is not that old, I bought it in 2016. I don't have the 4gb patch on and if I remember correctly I did the graphic rules.

Thank you
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 20th Feb 2019 at 8:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
If your laptop and card is old, it may be time for a new one and nothing may work or indeed, like Jo says above, wear out your laptop sooner - so perhaps a new one is a good idea.

However: there are some players using Intel Cards successfully that I know of - so this is what you can try before spending money:

Go to http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=5446

First, you can try the Graphics Rules Maker on top of the page

or

There are 3 cards there to use with Intel (go down with the page to the list of cards available). You will have to find the correct one for your laptop and install it manually. (I don't know why manual installing sometimes seem to work better than the Graphics Rules Maker, but it does seem to help some players, including myself).

Hello, thank you for replying, I'm currently using Windows 10 and I've done that before but it did not work, I believe my laptop is not supposed to be used for playing games such as The Sims 2 in high quality.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 20th Feb 2019 at 8:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rguerra
I use an aged laptop (from around 2013/2014) with an integrated video card (Intel HD Graphics 4000) and I as able to improve the graphics by using the Graphics Rule Maker and turning all instances of "boolprop simpleTerrain" from true to false in the Graphics Rule file. Unless you use a really very old laptop, I think you should try it first.

The way I see it, you don't need a powerful, "hardcore gamer-y" video card to play a 14 years old game like The Sims 2.

I tried it a while ago and it didn't work.
Alchemist
#10 Old 20th Feb 2019 at 8:39 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 20th Feb 2019 at 9:49 PM.
Your computer isn't that old. Mine has a bit better specs, but it's older and running Windows 7. So, I'm not sure from your explanation if you understand what the 4GB patch and graphic rules are supposed to do. The 4GB patch would let Sims 2 use more memory. It makes sense if the computer has at least 4GB of RAM and the game is not using it. I didn't see where you mentioned how much memory you have or if the game isn't using it. Do you know if that's an issue for you?

The graphic rules lets you change the game to higher resolution where, without it, those choices are greyed out on the game's options. I don't see anywhere that you tell us or show us what resolution your game is set at, so maybe you missed a step there? This is a much clearer explanation of it, imo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gmg298sZMo

Maybe I missed something, but I think your computer might be ok, but just not set up properly. You say you're naive about technology, understandable, so a little more info might help.
Scholar
#11 Old 20th Feb 2019 at 9:14 PM
Let me reiterate:

anything from i3-2xxx line onto infinity could run Sims 2 fully fledged (aka UC) just fine as long as the game is not additionaly beautified (hi-res textures, Re-Shade & such stuff)

with iX-3xxx generation (HD 4000 embedded) the game will run flawlesly even with additional "WINE is not an emulation" layer on Linux which obviously gives a performance hit.

Just remember than embedded GPUs works better (up to 20%) with dual channel configuration (matching memory sticks in 2 banks like 2x4 or 2x8) and U-line CPUs (these power-saving ones) have overall worse performance than theirs normal BGU counterparts.

These mentioned machines should have no problems, with exception of Windows 10 originated ones. I'd advise to debloate Windows (if annihilation is not an option at last kill Cortana and other nonsense)* cleaning 3rd party bloatware installed, cause that is a real performance hog - applying LAA (4GB patch) on the game and updating gpu related files manually. Graphics Ruler Maker acts sometimes weird, manual always work.

With 5500 you can do skyriming with a bit of tinkering (mostly repairing what brainless Bethesda broke)

*unfortunatelly that operation needs to be reproduced after each mandatory update

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
Forum Resident
#12 Old 20th Feb 2019 at 9:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
Let me reiterate:

anything from i3-2xxx line onto infinity could run Sims 2 fully fledged (aka UC) just fine as long as the game is not additionaly beautified (hi-res textures, Re-Shade & such stuff)

with iX-3xxx generation (HD 4000 embedded) the game will run flawlesly even with additional "WINE is not an emulation" layer on Linux which obviously gives a performance hit.

Just remember than embedded GPUs works better (up to 20%) with dual channel configuration (matching memory sticks in 2 banks like 2x4 or 2x8) and U-line CPUs (these power-saving ones) have overall worse performance than theirs normal BGU counterparts.

These mentioned machines should have no problems, with exception of Windows 10 originated ones. I'd advise to debloate Windows (if annihilation is not an option at last kill Cortana and other nonsense)* cleaning 3rd party bloatware installed, cause that is a real performance hog - applying LAA (4GB patch) on the game and updating gpu related files manually. Graphics Ruler Maker acts sometimes weird, manual always work.

With 5500 you can do skyriming with a bit of tinkering (mostly repairing what brainless Bethesda broke)

*unfortunately that operation needs to be reproduced after each mandatory update

Not to take over this thread, but ElaineNualla, could I ask you some questions regarding my spec as well? I'm also having this problem - my game looks exactly like what's above and has TERRIBLE lag to the point where it's unplayable, on top of that.

This is my machine spec below however, and I'm just wondering if it's worth even trying to play on this thing or if I've really just bought a cute doorstop...

Dell Optiplex
- Core 2 Duo Processor 3.0 GHz
- 4GB RAM
- 500 GB HDD
Windows 10
Current graphics card: Onboard Integrated Graphics (Intel Express 3100 I believe, so yes. Unplayable atm.)

I realised the graphics card was a BIG part of the problem, as I think I've met the requirements for decent (if not stellar) play otherwise, so I've ordered a an Nvidia GeForce 710X with 2GB of memory I believe. I didn't want to go with anything newer out of fear that the computer was just too underpowered to support it.

Yes, the computer is underpowered and generally not very useful for gaming, but I'm living out of state at the moment for work and bought this as a 'burn' PC that I can play TS2 on. That's literally ALL it's for - I use a mac as my main computer for everything else. It's my hope that a new graphics card (and OP, this one was only $60USD if that's something you're contemplating. It's not fancy by any means, but it should be able to run TS2.) will help. It will help... right?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 20th Feb 2019 at 10:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
Your computer isn't that old. Mine has a bit better specs, but it's older and running Windows 7. So, I'm not sure from your explanation if you understand what the 4GB patch and graphic rules are supposed to do. The 4GB patch would let Sims 2 use more memory. It makes sense if the computer has at least 4GB of RAM and the game is not using it. I didn't see where you mentioned how much memory you have or if the game isn't using it. Do you know if that's an issue for you?

The graphic rules lets you change the game to higher resolution where, without it, those choices are greyed out on the game's options. I don't see anywhere that you tell us or show us what resolution your game is set at, so maybe you missed a step there? This is a much clearer explanation of it, imo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gmg298sZMo

Maybe I missed something, but I think your computer might be ok, but just not set up properly. You say you're naive about technology, understandable, so a little more info might help.

Hello, I used CPU-Z to find out more about my computer. Here are the specs:

Graphic Card:

Thank you for your help. But just for you to know, I want to play the game with the highest graphic settings possible (not just possible for my computer, but for any computer), so I can have the best graphics possible, that's why maybe I'll have to buy a new laptop or just end up playing in my father's PC.

When I used to play in my father's PC my graphics looked like that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlGG2OMGKr4

That's a video I made back in 2013 using my father's PC.

I just wanted my graphics to look as good as that or even better. I just want to have the best experience playing with the highest graphics possible, you know? I know, I'm too ambitious for my own good.

Thank's again! :lovestruc
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 20th Feb 2019 at 10:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
Let me reiterate:

*unfortunatelly that operation needs to be reproduced after each mandatory update

Hello.

Thank you for your reply.

I wish I understood more of what you said because I'm really naive at technology.

But what I'm looking for is having the best graphics performance possible, as you said: ''hi-res textures, Re-Shade & such stuff'', so what would I have to do to achieve that? Do I have to get a new computer, if so, wich one? Can I just exchange my graphics card or other stuff for better ones?

Please read my reply above when I showed my computer's specs using CPU-Z.

Thank you again!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 20th Feb 2019 at 10:43 PM
That sim movie is only inside. If you want high-quality graphics with all the hi textures and stuff you will need a new computer.
I also suggest instead of asking here in sim2 chat that you make a thread either up in help or on the tech board. http://modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=563

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#16 Old 20th Feb 2019 at 11:55 PM Last edited by ElaineNualla : 21st Feb 2019 at 12:18 AM.
yes if you want to play with 2K and more res textures, additional beautifications like filters you just need a real GPU and NOT the x20 (520, 720, etc) NVidia series 'cause these are seriously limited, cheap, low power (and low heat) versions. Despise theirs better tech parameters like more units or higher texture processing rate, they're crippled by 64-bit bus which made them barely better than stronger embedded ones (HD5500, 6000, UHD520/620 are not so much worse than Nvidia GT 820 in real world comparisation, power efficiency wise the latter are sometimes more effective if you have enough free fast RAM and reasonable CPU clock because theirs clock is tied to CPU one ).

But you definitelly *can* play "maxxed" normal sims configuration with that hardware you have shown already if you configure the game properly: to allow the engine to fully use your hardware because now it seems like the game does not uderstand with what is dealing and just roll back to the some a bit ugly, "safe area".

@terula8
you have heavy system on weak hardware with very low RAM, nothing will be good in such conditions. The last Windows' acceptable performance for this line was around Windows7 (trimmed down). Its machine with G31 (or its newer not really much improved) onboard chipset, Core 2 Duo had no embedded GPU. I'd say if you'd retrofit that machine with something for what it was design for (XP/Vista AKA Windows7 beta) you could give a try with patiently finding a sweet spot between efficiency and quality. But there won't be a miracles.

Anyway, you can get a warm Thinkpad X/T x30 series for around 100-250$ (refurbished) on ebay with intel iX-3xxxM, reasonable amount of memory (usually 8GB). Or comparable Dell. These are hell of machines and one of the last seriously upgradeable laptops on the market (up to 16GB RAM, i7 quad cores, possible 3 disk systems (SATA internal, eSATA, SATA in CD/DVD bay) etc.

Lab Assistant
#17 Old 21st Feb 2019 at 1:40 PM Last edited by Alex5 : 21st Feb 2019 at 2:53 PM.
I have laptop with intel and i have highest settings on Sims 2 and it looks very perfectly and HD and i don't have any problems yet.

I used Graphics Rules and 4GB Patch too.

I can give you my graphics rules for see if it can fix.
Forum Resident
#18 Old 21st Feb 2019 at 5:13 PM
@ElaineNualla

Thank you so much - I'm basically just sending it back and getting a different (still cheap but better spec) HP with 3.2GHz, and 8GB of RAM and Intel i5 - goodness me. This thread is fantastic though for folks struggling with spec + performance issues.
Thanks again!
Scholar
#19 Old 21st Feb 2019 at 6:25 PM
I'm happy for you, have fun with that machine.