Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 2:16 AM
Default "Ewww loading screen!!1!" ... So what?!
It really bugs me when people complain about the loading screens in TS2. People say stuff like "I play TS3 instead of TS2 because of the loading screens". It's unbelievable!

So what if TS2 has loading screens?? Almost ALL video games have loading screens, and the loading screens in TS2 aren't even that long! If TS3 had loading screens, I'm sure people wouldn't be complaining as much. It's like people feel that since TS3 doesn't have loading screens, then NO video game should have them.

I personally do not mind the loading screens at all! Atleast TS2 has some good community lots to load up, unlike the darn rabbit holes in TS3. Do you guys mind the loading screens?
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 2:42 AM
It's because some people complain about loading screens taking forever cuz their computers are not high-powered. But they must be exaggerating because, if it's not a high-powered computer, then how come they're able to play Sims 3?!?!
I don't like Sims 3. It's very, VERY boring.

ENTJ
Mad Poster
#3 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 2:44 AM
For some people the loading screens in TS2 can be very long, depending on their computer's specs, the amount of EPs/SPs and CC. On my old PC with little to no CC and only a few EPs it would take forever for the game to start up, and then more time to load the neighbourhood, and even more time to load the household. Then if I wanted to send my sim to a community lot that would be another wait... most of my TS2 sims used to spend their entire lives on their home lot. I have a better PC now so it's not so bad, but other people don't have that luxury.

I don't know where you've got the impression that TS3 players think that because TS3 has no loading screens (although that's an incorrect statement right there because it does have loading screens, I think a better phrase would be 'seamless neighbourhood') that no other games should have it, because I've never gotten that impression from any Simmers I've come across.

For many people - myself included - the seamless neighbourhood is a big bonus: being able to go anywhere within the neighbourhood is brilliant because it actually matters how it looks now, whereas in TS2 it didn't really. And yeah, not having to sit and wait for each community lot to load is great. I don't mind the loading screens in TS2 because it doesn't take that long for me, but I far prefer TS3s set up.
Inventor
#4 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 2:44 AM
I'm not overly bothered by the loading screens since I often play for a week or two before having to restart the game. Loading times between hoods is about 1-2 minutes. Usually under one minute between lots. I have gone through phases where I found new stuff to download, then end up spending several days staring at the loading screens a lot and it gets frustrating then. But normally, I try not to download/install any more stuff so I don't care about the loading screens.

When my game was under 6GB of downloads, the loading was quite zippy. So, I know that if the load times ever gets to be too much, I can always delete a bunch of stuff to get back to that. But I think I enjoy my cc much too much.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 2:48 AM
No, I don't mind the loading screens, but it bugs me that I cannot create a visually continuous neighbourhood. It would have been nice if they made it like Sims3, to load on high definitons the 4 neighbouring lots. Also, if you ask me, it bugs me a little in Sims3 when my sim has to roam over a large area and it takes forever to do so. And when they travel by car you don't even get to admire the views. Guess I'm a really hard to please customer.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 4:01 AM
I have the majority of the EP's in Sims 2-and nearly 3 gigs of downloads. The loading screen to neighborhood view takes my computer about 6 minutes. I don't know why the Sims 3 players complain about the loading screens in Sims 2, because once the game starts, stays up and running until I shut it down.
Not like in some Sims 3 games, where it shuts down when it damned well wants to. Called "crashing to desktop", "BSOD" and other various things.
It's a small price to pay for a stable, well-running game. I'd rather have loading screens that take a few minutes than a game that constantly refuses to do what a player wants it to do.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 4:28 AM
You should really stop generalizing all TS3 players. I love TS3 but the loading screens in TS2 never bothered me, neither them or the seamless neighbourhood is the reason I stopped playing TS2.

When TS2 came out I brought a new laptop basically just to be able to play the game. It was above requirements, but still it was laggy and slow on big lots (the Goth household for example was not a fun lot to play due to slowness). The reason my Sims stayed inside their houses was because community lots were laggy. When I got a better computer, where laggyness was no longer such a big problem, my Sims started going out much more. If my Sims stayed home, it was never because I was bored looking at the loading screens.

Anyhow, TS3 has loading screens as well. When you start your game, select your hood, there's two loading screens there already. Also when you go from one lot to another, it takes time for the computer to render all objects and textures, that's a loading screen right there as well.
Theorist
#8 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 5:01 AM
Are you seriously starting another thread bickering about Ts2 vs. Ts3? And really rabbit holes aren't that bad, they're not as big of a deal as everyone makes them out to be! I miss restaurants (which you can replicate fairly well anyway with a couple EPs) and that's about it, you couldn't follow your sims to work in TS2 either (heck you CAN follow your sims to work with Ambitions!)

I'm not saying that Ts3 is better then Ts2 or vice-versa but the Seamless hood is a straight out benefit, why would anyone want to sit through a loading screen? Some people have pretty crappy computers and I'm sure they wouldn't want to load between every single lot. The seamless hood is a great edition to the game because it feels like a real town now (or at least a lot more then Ts2...)

Hi I'm Paul!
Instructor
#9 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 6:07 AM
I don't think it's a major flaw of Sims 2 so I agree with you in that sense, but since after first playing just the base game on a really old laptop and it taking FOREVER just to get onto a neighourhood, never mind trying to visit a community lot, can see the appeal. Short loading screens don't bug me, but the long ones used to drive me crazy.

Bustin' Out!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#10 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 6:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Robodl95
Are you seriously starting another thread bickering about Ts2 vs. Ts3? And really rabbit holes aren't that bad, they're not as big of a deal as everyone makes them out to be! I miss restaurants (which you can replicate fairly well anyway with a couple EPs) and that's about it, you couldn't follow your sims to work in TS2 either (heck you CAN follow your sims to work with Ambitions!)

I'm not saying that Ts3 is better then Ts2 or vice-versa but the Seamless hood is a straight out benefit, why would anyone want to sit through a loading screen? Some people have pretty crappy computers and I'm sure they wouldn't want to load between every single lot. The seamless hood is a great edition to the game because it feels like a real town now (or at least a lot more then Ts2...)

I wasn't starting a S2 vs. S3 thread. I was just stating that it was annoying me how some people would complain about the loading screens in TS2, meanwhile, TS2 isn't the only game ever with loading screens. I was simply wondering if anyone on the Sims 2 board minded the loading screens like a lot of people do.

Also, I think the reason WHY there were loading screens was because of "crappy computers". What crappy computer could be able to handle the "seamless hood" of TS3 successfully? TS3 actually has a background loading screen throughout the game while you're travelling the hood, which needs a lot of power to handle. EA expects people to have brand-new, high quality computers to be able to play their newest game, which not everyone has the ability of getting.

Sometime loading screens aren't that bad. Weither they're long or not, at least you get what you were waiting for in the end.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 7:16 AM
I wasn't fussed about the loading screens on TS2, especially because I was ten (three years ago)
I'm going to my friends house to play TS2, I hope the loading screens don't bother us.

I'm definitely not fussed about TS3's loading screens, I can play my iPod while waiting.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 7:19 AM
I have all EP:s and SP:s, and over 4 gigs of CC. I don't mind the loading screens at all. Who says you have to sit there and stare at the screen? I do something else while it's loading.
transmogrified
retired moderator
#13 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 7:37 AM
The loading screens in TS2 don't bother me, but that's because I long ago adapted my gameplay to account for them. I don't sit there watching the blue screen: I refresh my beverage or channel surf or declutter something. (Yeah, I need to to declutter more and channel surf less.) If I were forced to just sit there and watch the monitor, then yes, eliminating loading screens would be a high priority for me...right after eliminating whoever was forcing me to sit there and watch them.
Theorist
#14 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 1:53 PM Last edited by Captain THPS4 : 29th Nov 2010 at 2:26 PM.
I'm not sure where you got the idea that TS3 players think no video games should have any loading screens. Less loading screens or cleverly disguised ones do make some games better if done correctly though (the seamless mountain in SSX 3 is a great non-sims example, the huge amount of barricaded doors in Red Steel 2...not so much). Generally I don't care about loading screens unless they take an unreasonably long time (*coughSonic06cough*).

I definitely was annoyed by TS2's loading screens when I first got the game, but once I got a better computer it wasn't too bad. It almost felt like a seamless neighborhood though not quite there. As other people said already the loading screens aren't exactly a flaw but if your computer isn't that great then it will be annoying. Saying TS2 sucks just because of loading screens is like saying the original Super Mario Bros. sucks because of the graphics. It's just the standard of technology that existed in video games back then.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 2:18 PM
I personally don't even notice the loading screens, it's probably because my computer is able to run the game pretty fast but I also like to take time to run and grab something to eat or use the restroom or something, but normally it's so fast that when I come back it's already playing! Haha, and they can get into a ton of trouble without me there to guide them! Teehee.. oh well, I think the loading screens should be expected and I like it way better than a seamless neighborhood.. I love the places that they can go!
Mad Poster
#16 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 2:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by WooHoo31
Also, I think the reason WHY there were loading screens was because of "crappy computers". What crappy computer could be able to handle the "seamless hood" of TS3 successfully?
Why are you assuming that the only people who don't like loading screens play TS3? People put up with it because they have to but if given the choice I doubt there would be many who would actually prefer it.

And why do you care so much, dude?! Just relax and play whichever game you prefer!
Undead Molten Llama
#17 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 6:51 PM
Honestly, I don't understand the fuss over loading screens. I play on my laptop, which was state of the art...when I bought it seven years ago. *laughs* Now, it's probably considered kind of pokey. It does have an an actual video card, not an integrated chip thing, but it's only 128MB and beyond that, its specs are probably low for the game, with the number of EPs and the amount of CC I have (Currently, about 3.5GB in the user account that I use "daily"). Yet, my game goes from "zero to neighborhood view" in about 5 minutes and lots load in a minute or two, at most. I can also run other programs, some of them pretty resource-consumptive, while I play and it generally causes, at worst, the game to lag a bit when it's snowing on a lot. Maybe this is because I tend to keep my lots small, 3x3 or smaller, so I imagine that helps, but still...

When I see people talking about the game taking 40 mins (or more!) to load and 10 minutes (or more!) to load a lot I go, "Whut? How?" Seriously, I don't understand it. I can't imagine that they're running the game at all on much of an older/lower-spec system than mine...So, yeah, I don't get it. *laughs*

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Scholar
#18 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 7:52 PM
People say stuff like "I play TS3 instead of TS2 because of the loading screens"

From my experience, my TS2 + all Expansions+ all stuffpacks + 1GB of CC loads much faster than my TS3+ all exps so far + barely any CC. Not sure if its only me o_O

I dont mind the loading screen at all, it takes less than 5 minutes... And I have a habit of just surfin the net and doing other stuff while it is. By the time I remember I have TS2 running, its already loaded.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 9:07 PM
I don't mind the loading screens, myself. I used to when I ran the game on my old XP computer and it would take somewhere between fifteen and forty-five minutes to load(with just basegame and nightlife, no CC), but I have a decently running computer and usually the loading screens last just long enough for me to run to the bathroom or grab a drink...surely people can do something like that in their time waiting for the game to load.
#20 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 9:41 PM
When i first started out playing sims 2 i would make a game out of it. I would pretend the blocks on the screen were rows of buildings and each time one row light up it woudl be because it was bombed and I had to slowly move my cursor to the other end before the whole thing was lit up.

Mostly now I use loading screens as a time to get up and stretch a bit, knowing that i'm going to be sitting for awhile or i'll jot down some ideas that sprang up i nthose minutes of possible plotlines.

What I really don't like is people complaining about other people complaining about something they choose to read about to begin with. :D
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#21 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 9:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by zumppe
Who says you have to sit there and stare at the screen? I do something else while it's loading.

Wow, I must be such a loser. I actually sit there and watch the loading screens sometimes. :P
Forum Resident
#22 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 9:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lazzybum
From my experience, my TS2 + all Expansions+ all stuffpacks + 1GB of CC loads much faster than my TS3+ all exps so far + barely any CC. Not sure if its only me o_O

For me TS2 and TS3 load in about the same time (TS2: all EPs, 2 SPs and 4.35GB CC; TS3: Base+WA+AMB and 1.67GB CC), which tends to be about 10-15 minutes to get fully in to a 'hood.

But then, I play in windowed mode for both games, so I go and do other stuff while they're loading.

Angelos Town Prosperity updated 11th June 2012. | Albion Falls BACC updated 25th April 2011.

Watch my Livesimming Channel -- 17th June 6PM GMT (2PM EST) Cresdale: Rules and Regulations (Part 2)
Field Researcher
#23 Old 30th Nov 2010 at 11:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SingleClawDesigns
When i first started out playing sims 2 i would make a game out of it. I would pretend the blocks on the screen were rows of buildings and each time one row light up it woudl be because it was bombed and I had to slowly move my cursor to the other end before the whole thing was lit up.

I'm really glad I'm not the only one that tries to make a game out of it sometimes. xD While I don't do buildings or whatever, I try to guess which one will light up next and move my cursor over it.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 30th Nov 2010 at 12:15 PM
For me loading screens are not the issue at all. My laptop was able to load most lots in under 1-- 1 1/2 minutes What keeps me from ever going back to Sims2 is the simutaneous aging and the story progression that keeps your unplayed families living their lives. I have always played with free will and love being surprised by what those little simmies will do without me.
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 1st Dec 2010 at 4:48 AM
It really bugs me when people complain about the loading screens in TS2. People say stuff like "I play TS3 instead of TS2 because of the loading screens". It's unbelievable!

So what if TS2 has loading screens?? Almost ALL video games have loading screens, and the loading screens in TS2 aren't even that long! If TS3 had loading screens, I'm sure people wouldn't be complaining as much. It's like people feel that since TS3 doesn't have loading screens, then NO video game should have them.

I personally do not mind the loading screens at all! Atleast TS2 has some good community lots to load up, unlike the darn rabbit holes in TS3. Do you guys mind the loading screens?

On my old computer it used to take around 4-5 minutes to load the neighbourhood, while now it takes only 1-1:30 min. -- my Downloads is around to 6GB, and keeps going up. I have never minded loading screens -- as Mangaroo said no one forces me to stay in front of the monitor waiting. For me, it is not a loading screen that will determine which game I will play, but what kind of game it is. Everything boils down to personal taste and preference. Playing a game just because it lacks loading screens is plainly stupid. I don't think there are a lot of players who prefer TS3 just and only on that ground though.
Page 1 of 3