Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#76 Old 18th Nov 2008 at 1:25 PM
Yes, I could see it would be complicated. Of course if you now have sufficient staff to be moving the queue along nicely, then the problem is solved anyway.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#77 Old 18th Nov 2008 at 8:02 PM
Thanks Delphy for the reply. I haven't noticed that tab about the advance search before, I tried it, and like you said that it doesn't show everything there is on the site containing that expansion... so I guess there is always the hard way if I want to see everything :-P
KTnx.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#78 Old 18th Nov 2008 at 8:47 PM
Antira, thinking about it, I could probably add another option Compatible with EP... which functions like Advanced in that you pick which EPs you want, but functions like Compatible in that it shows downloads that have those particular EPs and any others, so you could pick Seasons only and get everything compatible with Seasons, or Seasons + Nightlife, etc.

The thing is, though, that thats really just the same as you changing your EP and SPs owned on your profile and refreshing...

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#79 Old 18th Nov 2008 at 10:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
Antira, thinking about it, I could probably add another option Compatible with EP... which functions like Advanced in that you pick which EPs you want, but functions like Compatible in that it shows downloads that have those particular EPs and any others, so you could pick Seasons only and get everything compatible with Seasons, or Seasons + Nightlife, etc.

The thing is, though, that thats really just the same as you changing your EP and SPs owned on your profile and refreshing...

It might still be a good thing to have though -- because if the person who does the search is a creator themselves, it may confuse others if they change their EPs owned all the time (in order to find what they're looking for). At least with lots I know that people look at that, in order to determine compatibility .. not sure how much of a role it plays with other types of uploads.

And it would be more directly accessible than going to the profile and back, and more logical -- and it might make the function of "Advanced" more obvious, if there where two things to choose between, with a clear distinction. (I know that I was terribly confused by the Advanced thing at first, because I got it exactly backwards =)

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Lab Assistant
#80 Old 18th Nov 2008 at 10:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
The waiting time in the queue has also been reduced dramatically from the past - partially due to the fact that we have an amazing moderation queue staff right now that deserve tons of hugs and cookies... and also due to the fantastic moderation system that D set up for us. It's about a bajillion times faster, easier, and more streamlined to use than the old system, allowing us to provide better information for required changes. Sometimes things do take a little while to go through, but most of the busy areas are -very- fast nowadays. It's pretty rare for anything to wait more than 24 hours before review in any area.

24 hours is a definitive improvement compared to the well above 300 hours in queue on my last upload.

On a more serious note regarding the Change to thanks button. I don't know why it's available on the upload post itself, the main problem is that it's not obvious how to fix the post back to normal if you change it to a thanks post. Atleast it wasn't obvious to me. One of my uploads spent many weeks without download link and images because I had accidentaly changed it to a thanks post, and had no idea how to fix it.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#81 Old 18th Nov 2008 at 11:31 PM Last edited by Delphy : 18th Nov 2008 at 11:43 PM.
zaxis, the "Change to thanks" option is not available on upload threads for the first post. At least, not anywhere I have seen in the code. It's only available for the second post (first comment) and onwards.

If you are seeing it please screenshot it so that I can investigate, but I already looked at the code for the standard download views and couldn't see any possibility either in the normal view or in edit post for that option to appear. I checked it myself on my own uploads and couldn't see anywhere to change my download to a thanks post.

So if you get this, screenshot it and post it in site issues. Thanks.

Edit: Also I notice you have the "Old Download View" turned on. I strongly suggest you turn that off in your profile - you are missing out on a whole ton of information about the thread that doesn't get displayed in that old view. Try it

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#82 Old 19th Nov 2008 at 5:04 AM
Is it possible to have a link at the bottom of the page to go to the top?

I know this is an option with smf forums. It's nice that when I get to the bottom, instead of having to scroll all the way to the top to get the menus again, I can click the go to top link.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#83 Old 19th Nov 2008 at 6:48 AM
HugeLunatic, thats already there. Look in the bottom bar where it has the style lister and Contact Us, etc. There is a "Top" link there

Lab Assistant
#84 Old 19th Nov 2008 at 5:30 PM

That is somewhat the thing I was thinking about. I didn't think changing the owned EPs is doing me much good. Because if I change my owned EPs and exclude the "nightlife" expansion for example and the download needs it, then it won't show it to me in the search and the base game compatibles are still going to be there, even if I have seen it many times before. I guess what I'm trying to say is to have an option where you can get all the downloads compatible with one specific EP. I'm not good at explaining myself, am I?
Well thank you for not giving up on the idea entirely yet. :D
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#85 Old 19th Nov 2008 at 6:45 PM
I think between you and plasticbox I get the idea... now I just have to think about how to code that

#86 Old 19th Nov 2008 at 6:51 PM
This reminds me of a bit of a problem I have with my uploads. They tend to require either this or that EP (eg they will work for people with Freetime as their latest EP or Bon Voyage). They might not work if you have those *and* Apartments, if I didn't update for apartments yet.

The way I tend to express it is, "this download is suitable for people whose latest EP is one of the following:- BV, FT" I don't really know how to use the current system to express this. So I tend not to fill in the required EP field, because it would not be true to say the download requires BV because it can be used without (if you have FT). And it also would not be true to say it requires FT, because you can use it if you just have BV. And it certainly doesn't need both of them.

It occurs to me this might be actually the same problem from the opposite point of view. If instead of being a "requires" field it was a "compatible with games whose latest EP is..." then the user only needs to search on their latest EP to return all the suitable downloads.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#87 Old 19th Nov 2008 at 7:19 PM
Default Return of the creator contest
Another suggestion: how about resurrecting the creator challenges? I think there are a lot of new creators (myself included) who would like to take part in a challenge, but the last poll did not lead to a challenge... (baaaaaaaaa)
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#88 Old 19th Nov 2008 at 7:47 PM
Inge, trust me that problem is something that I came across a long time ago. Here's how it goes:

Most downloads on MTS2 with the exception of the Game Mods section are actually usually Compatible. Game Mods, however, are Required. It's a subtle difference but an important one.

There really isn't a perfect solution for this other than to do what you are doing - put the absolute minimum required and state any exceptions in the post text itself.

leesester, We have staff working on that at the moment. Don't worry

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#89 Old 19th Nov 2008 at 7:52 PM
I think it's the same problem, yes .. basically, different types of upload have different "time vectors" I guess?

- Maxis recolours (for example) require one specific EP (whichever the item was released with) -- they're neither forwards- nor backwards compatible (except perhaps for some objects that were carried forward from one EP to the next)

- Game mods tend to be backwards compatible rather than forwards, I think? And like you say, they can have a certain "span" they work within -- BV or FT, but no earlier/later than that -- i.e. a range of EPs, rather than a specific one

- Lots are never backwards compatible but always forwards (except for Uni-but-no-Uni-objects, but that's a very minor exception), and they may or may not require a range of EPs in addition to that (so that stuff used in the lot will actually show up)

- Fences for example (which need Uni or later) work from point X onwards -- they need something that's been introduced with EP X and carried forward ever since, but nothing specific from any particular EP

- Other things (in-game item collections for example) only work up to EP X, but no later than that

- I guess there's also stuff that works in all games *except* when one particular EP is involved ..

So, yeah. Erm. It's hard to express with one button =) is what I'm trying to say, I guess. But having the option to quickly define a set of EPs to search for, rather than just one (like we can now with the "Advanced" list .. if I haven't gotten it wrong *again*), will be useful in a lot of cases, I believe.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#90 Old 19th Nov 2008 at 11:23 PM
Plasticbox,

My understanding is basically to add an option to search for one or more EP/SPs in Compatible mode - ie a download can contain those EPs and any others, but not only those EPs (unless it has no others).

Confused yet?

Lab Assistant
#91 Old 19th Nov 2008 at 11:51 PM
Is it possible to display more downloads per page, for example I use a 1280x1024 screen so most of the page looks empty. When I used a 1024x800 screen it looked fine. Maybe a show 5, 10, 15, 50 downloads per page option, like in the Exchange. It also bothers me to load 10 pages, instead I could load 1 and see the same number of downloads.

Sorry for my English.

Visit my new site: Sims MX
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#92 Old 19th Nov 2008 at 11:56 PM
Richi, See posts 6, 9 and 17.

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#93 Old 20th Nov 2008 at 12:06 AM
Compatible mode? But then that would *not* be the same as having those same EPs in one's profile, right?

Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#94 Old 20th Nov 2008 at 1:00 AM
pb, yes, it would be the same thing as going in, unticking a few EPs/SPs and then going back to the download page. I thought the idea was that people didn't want to go and untick stuff just to find all, say, downloads compatible with Seasons ...

Scholar
#95 Old 20th Nov 2008 at 2:23 AM
This is probably a total useless suggestion, I don't really know, but, could there possibly be a 'maxis match' catagory on the site? [just like the other catagories: buy mode, build mode, ect.] And also, in that catagory, have it split into sections: maxis match furniture..beds/tables/fencing etc....?

Like I said, probably useless, but, I think that to me, it'd be helpful..

Sims, like life, is very unpredictable. One minute you're eating four day old pizza, and then the repo-man steals your only sofa and you're in tears. ...then the food poison kicks in.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#96 Old 20th Nov 2008 at 8:29 AM
Content_List:Maxis_Matchwiki

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
#97 Old 20th Nov 2008 at 8:39 AM
For a code mod, if I listed it as being compatible with FT, it doesn't mean that everyone with FT can use it. If they had FT and AL they could not use it. It has to be compatible with *latest* installed EP. That is the only match that counts.

Zombie Socks
#98 Old 20th Nov 2008 at 5:04 PM
I really miss the 'thanks' button above the 'add to favorites' button. Call me lazy, but I don't download 99% of the things I thank, and it's rather irritating to scroll through 16 paragraphs or more of policies and usuage and compatability to get to the bottom when all I really want is to thank them.

Nintendork Island | Please call me WWW!| Despite what avatar says, loves all of mts <3
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#99 Old 20th Nov 2008 at 6:45 PM
whitewaterwood, there is a "Jump to screenshots" link at the top of the download details that will jump you to the bottom of the post text.

Lab Assistant
#100 Old 20th Nov 2008 at 7:34 PM
Plasticbox,

My understanding is basically to add an option to search for one or more EP/SPs in Compatible mode - ie a download can contain those EPs and any others, but not only those EPs (unless it has no others).

Confused yet?

I am confused
I'm going to babble a bit. Hoping the story will make it clearer.

I have had base game, night life, free time. So I went through the downloads checking for stuff that are compatible/require these, ignoring the rest. I have gotten Seasons and I don't want to see the base game downloads, and free time stuff, but I still have them, so if the download needs say seasons and free time at the same time I'd like to see it on my search. It would be a sort of check for my owned EPs from my profile, but only show those downloads that have Seasons EP signed as required. It would make the search so much faster.

I've recently gotten BV and Open for Business now that they are selling it for half the price they have came out. I had to look through the Build mode page by page, but I didn't have the patience to do the same for buy mode, there is so much stuff!
Page 4 of 9