Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th May 2017 at 9:39 PM
Default Q about downloads and virus
Hi

Just recently a world wide hacker attack took place and many organizations, companys and normal people got theire data crypted. I'm not a computer mastermind and do not know anything about this stuff at all. I have been told that it's OK to download pictures and music etc whitout taking to big risks but what about downloads to the sims? It's package files in *.zip and *.rar archives. Are this types of files "safe" or not? OK, I belive MTS is a safe place to download but there are many other websites containing downlads out there.

i may have told you before but I tell it again. 99% of the time I'm on a Linux computer and when I find a nice item I download it. When I got some downloads I put them on a USB stick and scans it whit ClamTK. When I transfer the downloads to my gaming (Windows) computer and scans again whit Avast. Windows Vista (SP2) is old and it have it's problems but I still use it. The computer have some sort of firewall and seems to be virus free but I still fears that this new type of code will make it's way into the machine.

So what do you have to say about this? Is what I do enough? Maybe it's me being paranoid but I have taken a strict "no download" policy until I know for sure.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 24th May 2017 at 9:47 PM
I have not encountered any viruses when downloading from this site.
and from my understanding, the newest versions of most (if not all) web browsers have built-in anti-virus.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 24th May 2017 at 10:49 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 24th May 2017 at 11:14 PM.
It doesn't hurt being smart about what you download, and I don't think scanning the files is being paranoid.

The recent attacks were most likely done via E-mail, and spread through connected systems like offices, hospitals, businesses and such (but corrent me if I'm wrong). Some unsuspecting person who gets a hundred mails a day open a mail that looks harmless, see there's a link that looks harmless, click the link, and WHAM! The malware goes berserk. These kinds of malware often latches onto E-mails, and once they're within the system they can send E-mail that seemingly is from a friend, co-worker, a legit company, or any of the sort. That's why you should always be skeptical of mail that in some way seems off - mail you're not expecting, or if there's a link to follow, or if the writing doesn't seem quite right.

Malware can sometimes hide behind ads, in popups, on unsecure websites and in other suspect places. If you keep your browsers and antivirus/antimalware updated, set your browser settings to somewhere in the medium-to-high zone, turn popups off, and keep a healthy and reasonable skepticism to clicking links that looks off (I'm always skeptical to link shorteners, adfly links, and ads - because anything could hide under there).

So far I haven't gotten malware attacks on any Sims-related sites. I've had a few ad-scares, some warnings about unsafe sites, and a few other things, but nothing has so far gotten past the browser blocks, firewall or antivirus. I use adblock and a few workarounds for adfly links, I've set popups to never appear unless I ctrl-click a link, and that helps. I'm also wary whenever I download something from a site I'm not familiar with.

Not sure if browsers have antivirus, but I think most can detect unsafe sites, and if your browser settings are high enough, the browser won't let you visit those sites, or they block unsafe elements.

In any case - the most important thing you do (even more important than having antivirus and upping browser settings) is to have at least one or two complete and updated backups of ALL your important files - that is, anything you would miss if malware did get in, or if your computer suddenly went up in smoke - and on at least one or two different platforms (cloud service, external harddrive, USB stick, two different computers, etc.). If you do have an updated backup, your files are safer than any kind of antivirus can make them. And I do stress the "updated backup" - nothing is more annoying than having to go back to files you last saved a year back, and lose a ton of progress. I do recommend having a small backup system that you can save a lot of files on (preferably at least two different, in at least two different places), and encrypted or password protected if possible. In case of hardware failure, fire, theft, malware, or any other way you could lose the first copy of files, you do have a second copy. If a malware attack does happen, you can wipe the computer safely without having to worry about losing files. I've got a small ext.harddrive that's small enough to grab and run if anything bad should happen.

As you can see, I'm a bit paranoid, too... But I have had a few scares. I have had a computer that stopped working, where I didn't have an updated backup. It very nearly happened again a couple of years back (my laptop went completely loopy one evening when I turned it on - I think it was a failed Windows update or some such, but thankfully I managed to fix it). Recently, my TS2 game messed up, and my latest backup was from a year back (thankfully I didn't lose too much progress, but still...), And I frequently have nightmares where my computers are attacked by malware (creeps me out - that's probably half the reason for the paranoia) - but it does remind me to take a new backup, so maybe it's not all bad
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 24th May 2017 at 11:29 PM
Updating the browser (Google Chrome) would be good. The problem is that it does not update under Ubuntu. I could run Firefox but it runs extremely bad on this computer.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 24th May 2017 at 11:39 PM
Keep a backup. 3-2-1 - three backups, two different mediums (e.g. dvds and external drives), one off-site (I'm told SpiderOak is fairly decent, although I've not tried it personally). As long as you have that, you can simply restore from backup.

Don't click on email attachments if you weren't expecting to get them, even if it's from an email contact--it's easy to spoof emails to look like they're from someone else.

Be careful where you visit on the internet. Get a good adblocker such as uBlock Origin (Chrome, Firefox). NoScript is also a good idea to avoid nasty bits of Javascript injected into third-party websites.

If you're on Windows, get Windows Updates. Microsoft has patched a lot of the vulnerabilities. Get a good antivirus -- Microsoft Security Essentials has served me well enough, although I'm a bit more cautious than most. Get MalwareBytes Anti-Malware as well. The free version doesn't have real-time scan, but scanning can pick up nasty things and it does a good enough job at cleaning them out. (My mother gets viruses and other nasties constantly because she refuses to follow my advice, and of course it's on me to clean up the mess. So I have a lot of first-hand experience.)

Run any executable files (.exe) through VirusTotal. If you're on Windows, I suggest grabbing the desktop uploader, which installs itself into your SendTo menu. Make it a habit--chances are the one time you don't scan is the one time you should've.

Keep your browser up-to-date too.

Anyways that turned into something of a lecture. Oops.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 24th May 2017 at 11:44 PM
I've never had an issue with cc downloads. Not the actual download. I use to scan them, they were always clean. It's more the pop up adds some sites have that can be trouble, and of course never download if you see adfly, just turn off the page, that stuff is nasty.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#7 Old 24th May 2017 at 11:57 PM
I used to have a site that would take Adfly and grab the real links but it went down a while ago and haven't had much luck finding a replacement. Shame.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#8 Old 25th May 2017 at 12:17 AM
This one works: http://adf.boxxod.net/ (use it with adblock on).
Also works most of the time if the adfly link or the download link is put through a link shortener. It has gone down a few times, but it's up now.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#9 Old 25th May 2017 at 12:43 AM
Browsers have a lot of security features nowadays but they categorically don't have anti-virus, you still need anti-virus software (Avast is an excellent choice).

.package files and .sims2packs are safe - the main risk when it comes to actual CC files is that the file doesn't contain the package or sims2pack you expect it to contain. Scanning with av will generally protect you from that; and don't open any self-extracting archives unless you're very sure they're ok (they're visually distinguishable because they have different icons from regular archives).

It's also worth noting that even this huge cyber attack only affected computers running older operating systems which had not had the most recent security updates installed. One of the most important things you can do to protect yourself, is to always install updates - especially for things like Flash Player which are known to be full of holes!

google-chrome-stable for Ubuntu was last updated on the 9th of May. If you can't update it from within Chrome itself, you should be able to update it using the command sudo apt upgrade (or sudo apt-get upgrade if you're on 15(???) or older) from the terminal.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 25th May 2017 at 12:47 AM
Viruses come in mostly e-mail attachments, and not downloads. Over the years, there have been many questions about whether or not it could be possible, but most virus makers don't care about gamers-they're looking for entire infrastructures and institutions that can benefit them.

Banks, hospitals and government entities are more than likely targets of any virus-it's a profit driven thing, and downloads don't make money.

Attaching a virus/worm to an email attachment that can go into your computer and grab the information it needs to seize control of the computer is more profitable. It was a ransomware attack, to be specific, and it was aimed at people who don't understand that their information is more vulnerable than they thought.

Which is why you don't leave information about your bank statements open to viewing, and never leave a link open to the bank when you're not in your accounts. Don't share what you don't want to share with the whole world.

So the question is not about downloads-it's about security, and gamers, while being a large possible target, are not the target.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#11 Old 25th May 2017 at 3:43 AM
Eh, it's not so much about grabbing information, it's about locking up files so that the user can't get to them and then charging them a couple hundred bucks for the key. It's pretty unethical, but it works.

Mad Poster
#12 Old 27th May 2017 at 5:39 AM
Oh! Another important tip. If a program offers file signature/file hashes, make sure to use a program to compare them up to the downloaded file. I don't know of a good tool for Mac or Linux, but on Windows I primarily use HashTab, which installs itself into the Properties menu, and Snap MD5, which doesn't require any installation (unzip-and-go).

Recently, a Mac version of HandBrake (which encodes videos) was hijacked to drop a bit of malware. It also happened to Transmission (a BitTorrent client). The malware people are getting craftier, so the users need to get more vigilant.

Scholar
Original Poster
#13 Old 27th May 2017 at 1:09 PM
So what type of conclusions can I make from this thread? Should I think that CC (read: archive files) are safe to download/add/use as long as I scan it for virus and maleware (my Windows computer does have some sort of malewarebytes but it must be old by now)?
Mad Poster
#14 Old 27th May 2017 at 1:18 PM
Yes. CC is safe with normal precautions. If you're worried about your anti-virus being old, you can upgrade it.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
Original Poster
#15 Old 27th May 2017 at 6:17 PM
My antivirus is updated but not the anti maleware. Can try to upgrade it. Thank you Peni.
Alchemist
#16 Old 27th May 2017 at 6:21 PM
I always feel very safe downloading CC, even when it's from slightly more sketchy websites. That virus makers would target The Sims players is odd, since there is so much CC out there already one has to put out a quality item for it to actually get a decent spread; and once you become that creator that once sneaked in a virus into a CC file which hurt a handfull of players, you aren't ever going to get more downloads. Word spreads fast
Mad Poster
#17 Old 27th May 2017 at 7:50 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 27th May 2017 at 8:55 PM.
Malwarebytes is a good option, and the free version is alright - but scans aren't automated in the free version, so make sure you make yourself a schedule, such as once every week or so.

Avast is a good, free antivirus, and for the most part very simple for the not-so computer technincal. Avira also works fine, though it does nag frequently via a popup box in the corner, and is a little heavy on the memory use, sometimes slowing down programs while a scan runs. Both will let you set a schedule for scanning, and I think both will let you scan archive files and folders. Several of the free antivirus programs are actually quite good, and while they will nag you to buy the paid for upgrade, most of what you get, at least in addition to the free Malwarebytes program, will get you what you need. If you also keep the firewall and microsoft security programs updated (usually you get a warning, and it's just the click of a button), you should be good to go.

I've got Avira on my laptop and Avast on my stationary, and they both seem to do a decent job. They have kept both my computers safe from threats for several years. If you have Windows 10, the pre-shipped Microsoft security essentials may also be a good choice (but I haven't tried it, so I can't give a personal opinion - but from what I've heard it's better than the earlier versions of Microsoft security programs).

I've had Norton and F-secure earlier (both are subscription/pay options), but Norton drove me bonkers after a while, and I wasn't that happy with F-secure, though it's so long ago I can't remember why... I do know that Norton is a whole lot worse than Avira and Avast combined when it comes to nagging, and it had several other issues.

And just a hint when you're out downloading - whatever you do, NEVER go for free extra options that hitch a ride with other programs as a tick box in the install window. If you download a free program, and an option is to also install a free antivirus or similar, chances are it's either the deluxe version of nagware, or behaves close enough to malware that you'll have a real problem removing it. That goes for things like toolbars, too. I accidentally installed an extra toolbar once (Ask, or some such?), and it was almost as hard to remove this as a very sneaky virus. So make sure you untick all extra options, and only install the program you want. I don't think I've ever sen a Sims-related program that does this, but you never know. Never click OK/next without actually reading what the installer actually shows. Whenever possible, download programs from the original website, and not from places like Download.com.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 27th May 2017 at 8:13 PM
Norton and McAFee are the two worst you could get. It's a shame, because they both actually were decent choices a long time ago.

Mad Poster
#19 Old 28th May 2017 at 3:50 AM
I have had my anti virus block me from sims sites before. Pronupsims recently wouldn't even let me get to the page. And some downloads on TSR were tagged as dodgy.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 28th May 2017 at 8:28 PM
TSR is likely because of their dodgy ads. The one time I attempted to disable my adblocker on that site to get rid of the timer (terrible mistake, don't repeat it) it redirected my browser to some dodgy website.

This was a year or so ago and since then the redirected sites have only gotten worse--I accidentally hit one of those sneaky Javascript overlays (it counts as a user-click so most adblockers can't catch it) and got a site that attempted to force me to install an extension. Forced my browser into fullscreen and everything, ended up killing the process. Those extensions are pretty nasty pieces of work, too, some of them will hook onto your options pages and prevent you from accessing them so you can't remove them.

Mad Poster
#21 Old 29th May 2017 at 3:54 AM
I use an adblocker, so nope not an ad. It was the actual download itself that it told me was dodgy.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 29th May 2017 at 3:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
This was a year or so ago and since then the redirected sites have only gotten worse--I accidentally hit one of those sneaky Javascript overlays (it counts as a user-click so most adblockers can't catch it) and got a site that attempted to force me to install an extension. Forced my browser into fullscreen and everything, ended up killing the process. Those extensions are pretty nasty pieces of work, too, some of them will hook onto your options pages and prevent you from accessing them so you can't remove them.

I've disabled most of those extra sneaky popupsites by enabling ctrl-click to open all popups and links. If I accidentally click something that's meant to open as a popup or in another tab, I get a message at the bottom saying a popup was blocked. That works very well, and I don't think I've stumbled upon a dodgy redirect page for quite a while (not that sites haven't tried - but the Ctrl-clicking blocks them). I think I also changed a few other settings. Ctrl-clicking was a bit annoying at first, but now I'm so used to it I barely notice I'm doing it.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 29th May 2017 at 10:06 PM
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned "NoScript", which is (in my opinion) an extremely useful and necessary add-on to any browser.

https://noscript.net/

It updates automatically when a new version is available, and it's free-plus being open source.

It blocks nearly 99% of all nasty scripts, and you have to disable/disallow specific scripts on some sites to get the full site to load-but that means you run the risk of having ads and other nasty stuff load into your browser.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#24 Old 30th May 2017 at 3:46 AM
I first installed my ad blocker because a site was throwing script errors on me and crashing my computer.Blocking the ad with the script worked for me. Now I only get script problems because my cat likes to walk across my keyboard and open script debug mode. XD
Mad Poster
#25 Old 30th May 2017 at 4:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned "NoScript", which is (in my opinion) an extremely useful and necessary add-on to any browser.

https://noscript.net/

It updates automatically when a new version is available, and it's free-plus being open source.

It blocks nearly 99% of all nasty scripts, and you have to disable/disallow specific scripts on some sites to get the full site to load-but that means you run the risk of having ads and other nasty stuff load into your browser.

I actually did mention it above, but it was kind of thrown into the middle of my post. Personally I don't use it (there's a couple things about the author's practices that I dislike, but i won't go into them) but it works.

Anyways, the actual download itself being weird seems kind of odd--unless TSR allows executables to be uploaded, which wouldn't surprise me. I know there's one or two antiviruses that will flag "unknown" programs as suspicious--you can sometimes see it in VirusTotal, but usually it's pretty obvious from the name. One of them is WS.Reputation.1, from Norton Antivirus, which is based on a "low reputation score," whatever that means.