Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th May 2017 at 3:25 PM
Default Poppet vs. Remi hair
Whose textures do you prefer? And why? Do you use a mixture or strictly stick to one?
(Here is an example of Remi's colours, here is an example of Poppet's)
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 20th May 2017 at 3:35 PM
I prefer my own combination – Remi’s waves with my colours and my subtle shading (the realistic shading used in Pooklet textures is too intense for me). Why? Because it’s always annoyed me in Maxis-Match retextures that they usually have no shading at all or almost at all (Maxis hair does have shading, so Maxis-Match is not an excuse to ignore shading), and I don’t like yellow blonde, so I went with a more natural one, and I also made darker black as it looks much better on very dark skintones (if you put Maxis hair or one of the common retextures on a sim with a really dark skin, like this one, it just looks grey; my recolour still looks black, as shown in the picture).

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 20th May 2017 at 4:08 PM
That sim is gorgeous, Voeille!!

And to answer the question: I don't know. I'm currently in hell trying to sort out the hair section of my downloads folder. Its a bit of a mix/mess right now...

*sobs dramatically in corner*
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 20th May 2017 at 7:20 PM
I confess I don't really like either - though I do like Voielle's sims there better. MM is not really a thing for me I think.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Scholar
#5 Old 20th May 2017 at 8:22 PM
I like Poppet's. It looks better with my game.

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Mad Poster
#6 Old 20th May 2017 at 8:50 PM
My sims are shiny.
Actually I cannot stand that maxis-match plastic doll look.
Theorist
#7 Old 20th May 2017 at 10:12 PM
I actually use a mix of Remi, Poppet and Simgaroop for more variety. I've also recently added some of Almighty Hat's hairs done in Pooklet's textures too - a nice portion of Hat's retextured hairs tend to not have that overly shiny look that some of the other Pooklet-ed hairs out there have. Super shiny hairs just does not work well with my game aesthetics.

The main reason for using multiple textures is for more sim customization - more options mean more unique looking sims. I'm the same way about skin sets and eyes too.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Field Researcher
#8 Old 20th May 2017 at 10:17 PM
I actually use simgaroop textures, they're MM but have a lil bit of shine and 2 extra colors (light brown and bright red), all of the hairs in my game are simgarooped, I've even hidden the maxis ones.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 20th May 2017 at 10:32 PM
Either of those are acceptable to me and I like that style much more than the shiny hairs. IMO a lot of shiny hairs look absolutely terrible. Sometimes they are done well, with the highlights in believable places, but it's a rarity, and then they look out of place next to the Remi style ones. I think this style looks soft and clean.

I'm fussy about hair meshes. So I don't download 95% of hairs. No gaps, no weird extra strands which stay plasticly in place, and no gravity defying oddness.

Edit: Voielle, I love your hair style!

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 21st May 2017 at 12:49 AM
I use a mixture, preferably somewhere between MM and shinny. Neither Poppet nor Remi even though I love everything else Poppet. My eye defaults are Poppet's. I just don't like matt hairs. So mostly Pooklet with less shine. If I had to pick a MM hair it would be one that is less yellow for blond, so Poppet.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 21st May 2017 at 10:45 AM
They all look fine to me, I use whatever one I find. I have a weird-mix game.

My Simblr
He/They
Field Researcher
#12 Old 21st May 2017 at 2:34 PM
I tend to search for Remi and Simgaroop over Poppet because I'm honestly not a fan of the blond of the Poppet style. I do have a few Poppet that I use occasionally, I just tend to not use the blond style a lot.

Cove Family (ts4 family tree)
Mad Poster
#13 Old 24th May 2017 at 6:22 AM
I've never paid any attention to the names of the creators when downloading hair...I just look at it and ask myself, "Would this look reasonable next to the Maxis hair in my game?" If the answer is yes and I like the style, then I download it. I probably have a mix of at least 3 or 4 different MM textures in my downloads. I guess I have about 0 "brand loyalty." lol
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 24th May 2017 at 2:29 PM
Thanks for all your response, I love hearing about everyone's preferences! I find it really interesting.
I'm in the same position as @LOLBAG2, trying to clear out my monstrous downloads folder (we need a support group )! I was initially thinking I would stick to one or the other but I'm glad to hear others use a mixture of textures, too. I think I might just end up doing that too! The best of both worlds
Alchemist
#15 Old 24th May 2017 at 8:43 PM
this thread is the first time I heard of either.
I have used either the shipped version colors or my own.
Instructor
#16 Old 25th May 2017 at 12:40 AM
I USED to use Poppet, coming from markedly more cartoony sims 4-but then I heard of polycounts, and how I would kill my Intel 5500 integrated graphics card, so now I use exclusively low-poly maxis match (which is VERY hard to find nowadays).

What's going on in your game group here: http://www.modthesims.info/forumdis...546&groupid=906
Check it out ;)
Mad Poster
#17 Old 26th May 2017 at 1:26 AM
To continue use my shiny textures I use low poly meshes converted by Rented-space.
Instructor
#18 Old 26th May 2017 at 3:39 AM
Any links?

What's going on in your game group here: http://www.modthesims.info/forumdis...546&groupid=906
Check it out ;)
Mad Poster
#19 Old 26th May 2017 at 4:04 AM