Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#26 Old 21st May 2017 at 10:04 PM
1. Have you ever started a hood based on rules or premises that you would not want to see implemented in the real world?

Yes. And I consider my game to be a single continuous hood that's happened to need about 15 restarts and a translation from Sims 1 to Sims 2, so I have a 100% rate of doing this. Some of it's built into the game - for example, I don't want to see werewolves in the real world, but I happen to find an interpretation of how they're coded into Sims 2 to be compatible with having fun in Sims 2. Suffice to say that some is not.

2. (skip to 4 if you answered "No" to 1) Why, generally, did you want to do this, preferably beyond "I thought it might be fun/I was bored"? Morbid curiosity, say, or the challenge of just coming up with interesting cc or using the game's engine to simulate a particular social structure? Or really nothing so thought-out?

It's the sort of thing that having someone who is a fan of science fiction/fantasy, computer games and unconventional approaches to things is apt to do - especially one apt to try out thought experiments in a safe yet interesting environment (I consider it safer and more interesting than, for example, trying to do the same thought experiment on paper).

3. Did you feel that playing such a hood helped you learn something about yourself or about the world or how you see it? Would you like to share that insight?

Yes. And no (since it would make the post both too long and too apt to provide the very sort of detail that could potentially breach the instructions on Q1..
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#27 Old 22nd May 2017 at 11:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by natboopsie
Perhaps this thread about Widespot ideas would be a better place to take the fuller discussion of specifics about how to run such a hood? I am pretty sure Peni Griffin loves to hear what others are doing with it too, so I'm sure she'd be delighted to host the discussion...

The Widespot thread that you have linked to is the one where I am sharing this version of my Widespot adventures. There indeed are communities similar to this in real life - which is where the inspiration comes from. Such places can also be found in literature such as Sincliar Lewis's novel "Main Street".
Forum Resident
#28 Old 22nd May 2017 at 11:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1
I recently reinstalled Widespot and have been wondering what to do with it. I love your idea of having it just be really clannish (which it is, inbred, really) and offputting to newcomers. How do you execute that? Sims love to meet and greet. How do you make them not welcome the newbies???

Smorbie, Widespot Sims do meet and greet while out and about in town. They tend to be quite friendly and welcoming - on the surface and up to a point. Outsiders are discouraged from moving into the community. Also, they do date and may become romantically involved with outsiders. Sims who marry a local do become registered Widespot residents. Even then, some locals will consider them to be intruders.

I am sharing about this in the widespot thread that natboopsie shared a link to.
Page 2 of 2