Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jan 2012 at 7:45 PM
Default Stalheim Helmet: Problem
I am working on a helmet (eyeglasses). Everything looks fine but when the head moves the helmet bobs around and clips. What should I do to make it stay put?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 17th Jan 2012 at 8:14 PM
Make sure all the bones are assigned to the head.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Jan 2012 at 8:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fakepeeps7

That fixed it! Thanks.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 18th Jan 2012 at 2:21 AM
Default Helmet Problems

One problem solved...just one more to go (I hope). In the game the shape of the head shows, not clipping, a shadow like form of the top of the head shows. Is this a texture mapping problem?
Sockpuppet
#5 Old 21st Jan 2012 at 11:32 PM
I once made a helmet aswell, as a object that sims can wear.
Feel free to clone it and replace mesh and textures if you like.
http://www.insimenator.org/showthre...ht=retro+helmet
In post 24 there is another recolor enabled for alpha edits
Mad Poster
#6 Old 22nd Jan 2012 at 6:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tontoinjun
One problem solved...just one more to go (I hope). In the game the shape of the head shows, not clipping, a shadow like form of the top of the head shows. Is this a texture mapping problem?

It might be. Sometimes accessories can have weird transparency issues. I had that happen once. I think the fix was changing the NumSknWgts value in MilkShape. I either changed it to 1 or 3... Try that and see if it helps.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd Jan 2012 at 10:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase

Thanks Bloom...I will give that a look see...I need to try something different, nothing I have done so far has fixed the problem.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 23rd Jan 2012 at 10:27 PM
It might be. Sometimes accessories can have weird transparency issues. I had that happen once. I think the fix was changing the NumSknWgts value in MilkShape. I either changed it to 1 or 3... Try that and see if it helps.

You lost me with NumSkinWgts...I did the fix underweight bones...none were...no change, still broke. Could you point me to a tut that addresses that subject or something close to it? I sure do appreciate help...thanks again.
Sockpuppet
#9 Old 24th Jan 2012 at 12:50 AM
MAybe a screenshot will give a bit more info.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 24th Jan 2012 at 3:07 AM

WOW!! That worked! Looks Great! Is there someone who could look this over and see if I am missing something before I release it in the wild...I don't trust myself to get it right and give proper credit for the mesh, texture, and object.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 24th Jan 2012 at 6:33 AM
MAybe a screenshot will give a bit more info.

This is what it looks like. The helmet glasses are on the left. Bloom retro helmet on the right. There is a split down the middle and the insides show thru. No problem that I can tell with the retro helmet object.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#12 Old 24th Jan 2012 at 6:56 PM
You lost me with NumSkinWgts...I did the fix underweight bones...none were...no change, still broke. Could you point me to a tut that addresses that subject or something close to it? I sure do appreciate help...thanks again.

No need for a tutorial. It's in the Comments of your mesh. If it's set to 1, try changing it to 3 (or vice versa). If it doesn't work, it's easy enough to change it back.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 25th Jan 2012 at 5:54 PM
No need for a tutorial. It's in the Comments of your mesh. If it's set to 1, try changing it to 3 (or vice versa). If it doesn't work, it's easy enough to change it back.

The numwghts were set to 1...then changed to 3, for both frame and lens. I could not see that there was any change in the image. Would it be ok to just leave it at 3 or change back to 1, nothing seemed to break or be any different with it set to 3? Thanks for the tip, I had no idea there were changeable parameters in the comments. What do the numwghts do anyway?
Mad Poster
#14 Old 26th Jan 2012 at 8:02 AM
The numwghts were set to 1...then changed to 3, for both frame and lens. I could not see that there was any change in the image. Would it be ok to just leave it at 3 or change back to 1, nothing seemed to break or be any different with it set to 3? Thanks for the tip, I had no idea there were changeable parameters in the comments. What do the numwghts do anyway?

I'm not sure exactly what the technical explanation is. Something to do with bone weights? All I know is that clothing is set to 3 and accessories are often set to 1 when you export them... but changing accessories to 3 sometimes helps them display properly in Body Shop and in-game (they won't look any different in MilkShape, though).

The only other thing I can think of is the alpha blending modes in the TMXT (in the recolour package in SimPE)...

Have you looked at the working helmet in SimPE and MilkShape? If you use all the same numbers and settings for your helmet, it should work.
Sockpuppet
#15 Old 26th Jan 2012 at 3:07 PM
yup, its a blend issue.
Your opacity(also in the comments) should be -1
And when you open the recolor file with SimPE you should check the material definations and the blend settings(standardmaterial and blend settings to 0)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 27th Jan 2012 at 4:31 PM
yup, its a blend issue.
Your opacity(also in the comments) should be -1
And when you open the recolor file with SimPE you should check the material definations and the blend settings(standardmaterial and blend settings to 0)

Roger the opacity...was set to -1, I have been tweaking the txmt with no luck, also in the process am trying to tone down the shiny and reflections in your retro helmet. I'm guessing the statements about evercube? and spark? have something to do with it. That retro helmet is a marvel to me...masterful!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 27th Jan 2012 at 4:42 PM
I'm not sure exactly what the technical explanation is. Something to do with bone weights? All I know is that clothing is set to 3 and accessories are often set to 1 when you export them... but changing accessories to 3 sometimes helps them display properly in Body Shop and in-game (they won't look any different in MilkShape, though).

The only other thing I can think of is the alpha blending modes in the TMXT (in the recolour package in SimPE)...

Have you looked at the working helmet in SimPE and MilkShape? If you use all the same numbers and settings for your helmet, it should work.

Yes, I have looked over the working helmet in SimPE and ms....interesting that the numweights were set to 2, but I haven't gotten to try that yet, but I will....I did four different glasses bases thinking of the harry potter warnings but all showed the same effect. I found some military hats that use glasses bases and intend to give them a close look. Also interesting is that the helmet shows good in bodyshop and CAS but cracks open in the game. Sooner or later I'm gonna figure this out. You and Bloom are wonderful resources, Thank you.
Sockpuppet
#18 Old 27th Jan 2012 at 10:08 PM
For the helmet you should use the frame meshgroup, not the lenses as those are set to transparancy.
You do want to include a placeholder for them tho, to avoid blue flashing accesoires.
If you can not figure it out you can always upload your file.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 28th Jan 2012 at 3:00 PM
For the helmet you should use the frame meshgroup, not the lenses as those are set to transparancy.
You do want to include a placeholder for them tho, to avoid blue flashing accesoires.
If you can not figure it out you can always upload your file.

I have been using the frame group. On one try I deleted the original frame instead of regrouping it with the import, and then renaming the imported mesh to frame. I got an empty head. Thanks for upload offer. I have a few ideas I want to try and if they don't pan out I will upload the file and change my name to simpleton if it hasn't already been taken.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 28th Jan 2012 at 7:58 PM
... and change my name to simpleton if it hasn't already been taken.

You're not a simpleton. We've all been there at some point (especially if we've tackled accessories).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 4th Feb 2012 at 4:20 PM
You're not a simpleton. We've all been there at some point (especially if we've tackled accessories).

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. I will try to do better, someday I hope to get out of my sophomore year with these wonderful things.
Sockpuppet
#22 Old 4th Feb 2012 at 11:35 PM
The shininess(envCube) you can simply disabled in the TXMT's settings
Test Subject
Original Poster
#23 Old 10th Feb 2012 at 3:44 PM
Default Fruit

Here is the finished helmet with two recolors. I can't thank you enough Bloom. Your retro+helmet is outstanding. A road to Damascus experience.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  KBT_helmet.rar (76.0 KB, 163 downloads) - View custom content
Sockpuppet
#24 Old 11th Feb 2012 at 3:53 AM
sorry...missed your previous post.
Glad you got it working tho, as object or as accesoire?
looks good btw
Test Subject
Original Poster
#25 Old 12th Feb 2012 at 6:46 PM
sorry...missed your previous post.
Glad you got it working tho, as object or as accesoire?
looks good btw

This is an object, Decorative/Misc, "put in your house, or on your head". The accessory approach to headgear does not give you the 'in game' flexibility an object does. I'm going to save accessories for something else, your retro helmet is too effective and useful for headgear. I have a couple more pieces of headgear using the retro helmet that will be finished soon.
Page 1 of 2