Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th May 2010 at 2:04 PM
Default UV mapping problem
Im not sure which section: Meshing or Object to post this, sorry

First problem: I made a chair used Maya, with a lot of cylinders are bended in many direction. The problem came when I use UV mapper Pro.
I spent hours to move every vertex of those cylinders, and make it look like this

I save the mesh as *.Obj and imported into Milkshape. But in Milkshape, the UV map messed up. And make it impossible to texture.

I tried to import the *.Obj back to UVmapper, but the whole map still messed up.
2nd Problem: I wont mind re-UV all of them in Milkshape, but another problem came, one vertex seems to be linked to another vertex, they are the vertex that lie on the edge of the mesh. So when I select it, the top face, side face is selected at the same time >_>

I read around the forum, and saw some tutorials tat said we still have to re-UV in milkshape, UV mapper is just for the base background. So I guess this can't be fixed ? Then how to fix the 2nd problem since I'm pretty new to Maya ?

Thanks in advance

Tool used:
Maya 2008
UVmapper Pro
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 25th May 2010 at 2:17 PM
The 2nd problem is a bit easier, those vertices are welded together. So when you try to move one on one side the other side moves with it. In MS when I have the texture editor window open, I select the vertices that are welded together that I want to unweld, then select vertex in the MS menu and unweld. You can then move those vertices separately from each other.

The 1st problem, well I find it odd actually. I've never had uvmapping just revert upon exporting, although I've never used Maya it is odd that it did that. Have you tried exporting your mapped object as something else? MS can import other formats than obj, find a common one and try that. THe other question is, are you sure you exported and imported the right file? LoL It can be easy to get things confused. I usually label my mapped meshes as MAPPED just so I don't get confused.
Alchemist
#3 Old 25th May 2010 at 2:35 PM
Why is the first map 512 x 512 and the second is 640 x 640? If the map dds is a different size than the one you used MS will pull/squeeze the map to fit. I don't understand why MS apparently moved things around on the dds though...I've never seen it do that before.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 25th May 2010 at 2:47 PM
Thankyou very much =3

@Lunatic: Thankyouuuuuu, I have no idea what the Unweld option in MS is. Now I know.
And yea Im sure i imported the righ file, coz i named the fixed Uv obj : _UVmapEdited

@Orange: In fact they are same size xD I resize them in Photoscape to make the images less heavy to upload. I will notice this from now on =3