Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jan 2006 at 5:51 AM Last edited by Zenman53186 : 15th Jan 2006 at 3:02 AM.
Default Zenman's Sims2 Poser Magnets
(okay, I'll try this again...)

I had uploaded this set of magnets previously, and realized shortly after uploading that, due to some assumptions I had made when creating them, they were not 100% compatible with Xenos' Poser tutorial. So I had to modify them them to be compatible prior to re-uploading them. At this point I believe they'll work with the tutorial without issues.

These sets were created and used in Poser version 6. I believe they are backwards compatible with Poser 4 and Poser 5, but I have not tested this.

==================================================

Attached below is a collection of the magnet sets I created for modifying Sims 2 figure meshes using the Curious Labs Poser application. The sets include those needed to create the Curvier Teen, Curvier Adult, Big Teen, Big Adult, and Fit Male meshes. If you haven't seen them yet, you can find the list of meshes at:

http://www.modthesims2.com/member.php?u=180028

Within the zip, the files and associated Sims 2 meshes are:

ZenCurvierTeenMags.pz2 (for the female teen body meshes)
ZenBigTeenMags.pz2 (for the female teen body meshes)
ZenCurvierAdultMags.pz2 (for the female adult body meshes)
ZenBigAdultMags.pz2 (for the female adult body meshes)
ZenFitMaleMags.pz2 (for the male adult body meshes)

** THESE FILES CAN ONLY BE USED BY SOMEONE WHO OWNS AND UNDERSTANDS THE CURIOUS LABS POSER APPLICATION. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THIS APPLICATION, YOU CANNOT USE THESE FILES! **

If you do own and understand the Poser application, then these magnets can be applied using Xenos' Poser tutorial. You can find the tutorial at:

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=45023

These files should be unzipped to a subdirectory in your Poser 6 "Props" directory, typically:

C:\Program Files\Curious Labs\Poser 6\Runtime\libraries\props\Sims2Mags

You can create this directory if it doesn't exist. Once they are in the directory, you can access the magnets through the Poser Props menu.

An addition to note for BriAnna's tutorial (referenced in Xenos' tutorial):

1. When exporting the Sims2 object from SimPE, prior to pressing the export button, you must set the "Order" field to "XYZ". The default is "XZY" (for version 0.50) and if unchanged will cause problems. This is mentioned in one or more of the 50 pages of comments on the tutorial, but not in the tutorial itself. If you set this parameter correctly, the figure will be imported into Poser laying on it's back in the default Main view window. Check to make sure the figure is lying on it's back.

Some additions to note for Xenos' tutorial:

1. The Poser 6 object export function seems to do strange things to the poly order for the figure. This can result in loss of "smoothing" for certain polys, causing strange shadows to appear. I was able to solve this somewhat (but not completely) by importing into a 3D mesh tool (such as MilkShape), applying a smoothing function to the mesh, and exporting. You do not have to do this, but your figure may look a bit strange in Bodyshop and in the Sims2 game. Perhaps a 3D mesh expert out there can explain why this happens, or provide a better solution.

UPDATE: Dr. Pixel (below) recommends unchecking the "Import Normals" checkbox for the Sims2MeshTool in the Settings dialog. This would be done before importing the modified mesh (the first button). I've tried this and it does seem to solve the problem.

2. Xenos doesn't mention, but in addition to the body meshes, you can modify the bottom and top meshes as well. To do this, rename the object file to "bottom.obj" or "top.obj" respectively (instead of "body.obj" as in the tutorial). Then import into Poser, apply the magnets, AND THEN UNDER THE PROPERTIES FOR EACH MAGNET, select "Add Element to Deform", select "bottom" or "top" from the list in the popup dialog, and select OK. Then save as normal.

3. A number of the body meshes (for example, the "TFBodyGothSpikeNeck" mesh) actually has two meshes in it. These cannot be modified with this technique, and you may as well avoid them. You can identify them by looking for the "Number of Models" message that the Sims2MeshTool application gives you when you use the "Load3DFile" function. If this message says, "Number of Models:2", then it isn't a mesh you can use. In addition to the one mentioned above, other meshes with two objects in them are: TFBodyDressCouture, TFBodyHipBootsIsCool, TFBodyHulaSkirt, AFBodyDressMaid, AFBodySlip, AFBodyHulaSkirt. There are probably others since I didn't look at them all. You might as well avoid these meshes at this point.

==================================================

I will try to answer questions on the use of these magnets, but I will not repeat information already in BriAnna's or Xenos' tutorials. I'm also not going to be able to create a training tutorial on Poser, or the use of Poser magnets. Although I'm not trying to be rude, if you ask questions about information already in the tutorials or available in Poser documentation, I will reply with a RTFM.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  ZenmanSims2PoserMagnets.zip (45.0 KB, 772 downloads)
Advertisement
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#2 Old 4th Jan 2006 at 6:57 AM
I don't have poser, but I must say I really appreciate you sharing what you've created so that others can also benefit from it.
Instructor
#3 Old 4th Jan 2006 at 2:36 PM
You rock, Zen... I'll definitely be taking a look at these! :D

Be sure to stop by Warlokk's Tower Workshop to see my latest creations!
Need help with the Bodyshape Sets? Bodyshape How-To Tutorial updated 11-18-06
Test Subject
#4 Old 4th Jan 2006 at 6:54 PM
What about DAZ Studio? Though I don't remember it supporting magnets.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Jan 2006 at 1:06 AM
My understanding is that Daz Studio doesn't support magnets.
Scholar
#6 Old 5th Jan 2006 at 3:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zenman53186

1. The Poser 6 object export function seems to do strange things to the poly order for the figure. This can result in loss of "smoothing" for certain polys, causing strange shadows to appear. I was able to solve this somewhat (but not completely) by importing into a 3D mesh tool (such as MilkShape), applying a smoothing function to the mesh, and exporting. You do not have to do this, but your figure may look a bit strange in Bodyshop and in the Sims2 game. Perhaps a 3D mesh expert out there can explain why this happens, or provide a better solution.

I don't have Poser, so I don't know if this will help -

However, there is a wrong bit of information in Brianna's tutorial which might be related to the problem - in any case, it won't do any harm to try this.

When you use the MeshTool to turn your .obj file back into a GMDC, on the Settings section do NOT checkmark "import normals"

Sometimes leaving it checkmarked will cause no harm, sometimes it will.

In any case, it never does any good so it is best to leave it un-checked.

Since editing body meshes with the .obj file format does not allow anything other than moving the existing vertices, there is no reason to try editing the normals - and if your 3d editor has somehow altered them, you definately do not want to bring back the altered information - it can cause blockiness or shadows if you do.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 5th Jan 2006 at 2:14 PM
I will have to try this. Thanks!