Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Mar 2019 at 3:08 PM
Default Sim Tracker not opening on new comp
Hello all. I recently upgraded to a new computer and can no longer open the wonderful Sim Tracker program. (Hope this is the right forum for this question, since the original download is old and very unsupported due to the loss of the creator, I don't think there'd be much, if any, response on that post and wasn't sure where else to go.)
I've tried several different things to get this thing working to no avail. I've seen a whole two people mention running the tracker on an older version of windows or it not working for them on the forums here but that's it. Is this one of those known issues that most people just know? I was able to run the Tracker on Windows 10 on my old computer, but that was a comp that started at 7 and was upgraded accordingly. The tracker was installed before the 10 update, I think at 8, so not sure if that would make a difference? Anyway, if anyone else has had this issue and come up with a fix or has any ideas I'd love to hear! I've been using the program for several years and have quite come to rely on it. The idea of creating a spreadsheet from scratch is very daunting...

I've tried: starting directly from the application rather than a shortcut
double and triple checking I've installed and am running the program on admin
Every comparability setting offered by the Windows troubleshooter from XP and Vista on up (running 10)
I also have double checked I have the .Net framework, which I do.

A little at a loss from here? Thanks for any help!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 24th Mar 2019 at 1:05 PM
Not sure if it's the same issue for you since I'm on Windows 8 not 10 but I only get Sim Tracker to open if I run it as administrator (right-click on the icon and choose "run as administrator" - or however it's phrased in english...)
Mad Poster
#3 Old 25th Mar 2019 at 4:24 PM
It might be an administrator issue. By the way, we should start a new thread for SimTracker to encourage further development.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 25th Mar 2019 at 5:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Renatti
...double and triple checking I've installed and am running the program on admin

Making sure next helpers sees it.
I never heard of this program, and you seem to have tried all the best options. Sorry Renatti

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#5 Old 25th Mar 2019 at 7:46 PM
Mad Poster
#6 Old 25th Mar 2019 at 8:25 PM
I quoted what the OP wrote, so next member who wish to help reads/sees it. It seemed obvious, that part had been missed. As to not suggest something that has already been tried. Not to bump anything.
Are you doing this on purpose, or you really didn't read?

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 25th Mar 2019 at 11:34 PM
What @Rosebine was saying is that the OP has already tried running the game as an administrator. In case anyone else is going to suggest it.

@Renatti Does the application show up in your task manager at all? Does it give an error, or just not run?
Mad Poster
#8 Old 26th Mar 2019 at 12:25 AM
@simsample I'm sorry about that - I should have read the danged post. Guess I have lysdexia or something. But if running as an admin doesn't work, then I'm at a loss. Maybe it's the new operating system or something. But anyway, I'm sorry about being such a dummy, @Renatti.

It could also be a conflict in the registry or with one of the installed runtime environments. It's also possible that you have a bad temp file or something in the one you're using is corrupted. But if it isn't that, I am at a loss for what to do.
Instructor
#9 Old 26th Mar 2019 at 1:50 AM
You could try turning off 'Controlled Folder Access' in Win 10 security settings. With it on it doesn't allow unauthorized changes by unfriendly applications to files and memory. In other words, if it's not from the Microsoft Store it's considered unfriendly.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 26th Mar 2019 at 3:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by suzymarie64
You could try turning off 'Controlled Folder Access' in Win 10 security settings. With it on it doesn't allow unauthorized changes by unfriendly applications to files and memory. In other words, if it's not from the Microsoft Store it's considered unfriendly.

Windows 10 does that? Yikes! Sometimes Windows gets a little too overprotective methinks. Hope this trick works.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11 Old 26th Mar 2019 at 9:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JDacapo
@simsample I'm sorry about that - I should have read the danged post.

S'okay, I just thought it was funny that this thread went:
-It doesn't work, tried run as admin
-Try run as admin
-It's an admin thing
-'Scuse me, he tried run as admin
-Are you bumping?
-No, pointing out he tried run as admin
-Have you tried run as admin?
Mad Poster
#12 Old 26th Mar 2019 at 10:57 PM
Can the Sim Tracker be installed in another folder? Try putting it someplace other than Program Files.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#13 Old 27th Mar 2019 at 1:16 AM
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 8th Apr 2019 at 6:03 PM
Thank you for replies all!
First, the computer in question now has a bad processor so I won't be able to test/apply suggested fixes for several months at least. I do hope to see about repairs or replacement with the same computer, so hopefully(?) one day I will have this issue again... Unfortunately it broke while I'm abroad for the next few months so there's not a whole lot I can do from here except steal the SO's computer.

In answer to the various suggestions:

@simsample It showed in task manager for about half a second before disappearing. The icon did show up in the 'notification area' of the taskbar and sat there until I scrolled my mouse over it, then disappeared again. Also, I think you were one of the people who mentioned you couldn't run Sim Tracker due to something about your Windows installation? I did a lot of forum searches but I believe I recognize your icon haha.

@suzymarie64 I'm almost positive I did do this, and it had limited permissions to read only for some users. Unfortunately didn't seem to help, but definitely a good idea and reminds me I need to check into this if and when the replacement computer arrives.

@JDacapo No worries about the admin thing! It's still good advice and I imagine people install this not in admin mode all the time and then go "But why isn't it working..." I certainly did the first time! Re temp file/registry, I did try to copy over my user files (in my docs) so I wouldn't have to re-input all my 'hood info. Could that have done it? IIRC I didn't try to open the Tracker before adding the my docs (the more fool me >> ), but I did uninstall and delete those files after I couldn't run it. Would an issue like that have lingered?

@Bulbizarre Can it? I have no idea, but certainly something to try. If nothing else I have two drives (SSD and HDD) so I can certainly fiddle about in that sense as to where I'm installing.

And @HugeLunatic Microsoft wouldn't let me! I do have a later version of the .Net framework installed, so when I tried to get 4 specifically it said I already had a later version and the 4 couldn't be installed. I pretty sure, although I can't double check for certain, that the old computer Sim Tracker did work on also had a later version though so it shouldn't be an issue?

Phew, think that's everyone and I didn't mix up anyone's name and response... Thanks again for all the suggestions all, I really appreciate the help!
Mad Poster
#15 Old 8th Apr 2019 at 6:19 PM
@Renatti you are a sweetie and so very patient with people like myself. I hope your computer gets fixed or you can get a new one because computer problems suck.