Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 10:55 AM
Default UVMapping problems
Hi, I'm very new to meshing and making my own objects. In fact, this is my first time even attempting it. So far I've made a nice little bookshelf with some jars on, according to a tutorial from here. My problem now is how to UV-map it. I created the object in Blender and decided to stick with it for UVMapping as well. It's working fine and looking nice and neat until I try to map the jars, which are capless cylinders with an angled "neck". Blender maps the first cylinder neatly and lays it out more or less flat, but the second, slightly smaller cylinder is laid out in a kind of distorted circle. Since I'm very new to all this I'm not sure how much that messes with textures and stuff, but I'd prefer to have it all laid out non-distorted. I've looked through some tutorials on how to UVmap cylinders, and I'm not sure what I'm missing really. I've marked the seams exactly the same on both the objects. I would greatly appreciate some help from someone who knows how to UVmap!
Advertisement
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#2 Old 7th Aug 2014 at 12:48 AM
My meshing skills are nonexistent, so I'm afraid I'm of limited help.

You may check out Understanding UV-mapping if you haven't already.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 7:43 PM
I hadn't actually read through that one, and it helps with understanding how to work with UVMapper, thanks! I'll probably try to go back to using that instead of Blender for now