Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Apr 2008 at 6:04 PM
Sims 2 Trailer/Sims 3 Similarities
So I was goofing around on YouTube, and I found a link to the Sims 2 Trailer that came with Makin' Magic. I was feeling all nostalgic, so I clicked on it.

What I saw about made my jaw drop. The sims, furniture, and interactions TOTALLY reminded me of what they keep showing us for TS3, and looked very little like TS2 at all. Holy crap! Have they been holding back on us all these years? Has TS3 existed since back in the late 90s?

Anyway, here's the link if you guys want to see it for yourselves:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NkxO2hrQFWA
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 11th Apr 2008 at 6:26 PM
No, this is just the way they do things: all the prerelease stuff is utter fakery, done as animated renders not using the game engine whatsoever, and bears very little resemblance to the finished product. Pretty much -nothing- that happens in that trailer can happen in the actual game, very little of the content bears any resemblance to what we actually get (I think one of the televisions, and a couple hairstyles are ones we got - besides that, nothin'). I'm sure this'll be the case with Sims 3 too... plenty of the prerelease Sims 2 shots showed things we never got (hairstyles, objects, shiny floors, etc.) and it's clear that some of the Sims 3 shots are non-engine renders. Pretty sad, isn't it?

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 12th Apr 2008 at 8:31 AM
I had forgotten about that video. I don't even remember feeling conned when Sims 2 was released and it wasn't anything like that. Possibly we had already been warned that the trailer was pretty much fake. A timely reminder to take any pre-release stuff we see with a grain of salt.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 12th Apr 2008 at 9:26 AM
The trailer looks nothing like TS2, so I'll be more suspicious with the TS3 stuff I see now...
Instructor
#5 Old 12th Apr 2008 at 11:17 AM
Some of the interactions in the Sims 2 trailer were hilarious, shame they weren't implemented in the actual game.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 17th Apr 2008 at 7:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by andru
Some of the interactions in the Sims 2 trailer were hilarious, shame they weren't implemented in the actual game.

I can't agree with you more I loved the kid on the fan swinging around and around. lol
#7 Old 20th Apr 2008 at 1:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
No, this is just the way they do things: all the prerelease stuff is utter fakery, done as animated renders not using the game engine whatsoever, and bears very little resemblance to the finished product.

Yeah, I hate that trailer! I so loved the messy living-room and how everything seemed so "plastic" and flowing, and how the Sim jumped onto the couch next to his girl! Its good to be reminded not to keeps ones hopes up too high. Same time I believe EA has learned something from the players community this time, or they say they have.
If the actual town-buildings in Sims 3 not looks like the ones in the present pictures I'm going to be mad, mad, mad!
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 20th Apr 2008 at 4:07 AM
My goodness. I completely forgot about that trailer. I so desperately wanted pyromanic, banister sliding, fan spinning babies and bodice ripping mothers. Sheesh. I would gladly wait the greater part of a year to see a sims 3 trailer, so long as it was more authentic than the Sims 2 one!
#9 Old 29th Apr 2008 at 7:19 PM
=) i hope ill see some of those stuff in sims 3
#10 Old 30th Apr 2008 at 10:28 AM
I'm optimistic... I think that maybe TS3 will be like that trailer. I could totally see pyromanic being one of the traits you can assign to a sim, giving players the chance to have fire breathing demon babies and the like. At least I hope that's what TS3 will be like!
Test Subject
#11 Old 30th Apr 2008 at 5:17 PM
I wonder how photo-realistic the houses will look like, I'm already very satisfied with what I can do on TS2 as far as building is concerned, but I'm afraid I don't have the hardware to benefit from the upgrade in graphics anyhow, so I shall stand by and see if TS3 is worth the transition from TS2.