Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The ModFather
retired moderator
#1226 Old 5th Mar 2005 at 1:45 AM Last edited by Numenor : 5th Mar 2005 at 4:37 PM.
Quaxi, I don't know if you already was informed: when creating recolour packages for EP1 objects (that have the MATD names with the forced relocation), OW adds another ##0x1c050000! to the MATD reference into the MMAT; so, it looks like: ##0x1c050000!##0x1c050000!matd_name_12345.

On the contrary, with EP2 objects (and with TS2/University objects) OW v.025 seems to work fine.

EDIT:
Oddly enough, the Wizard can't recolour the CEP University objects (no problem with already recolourable UNI objects), while the standard OW can recolour all objects.

EDIT AGAIN:
As usual, I'm using these pages as a notepad to write down the to-do list...

OW (standard OW, for the Wizard I can't say ATM) has problems in creating recolour packages for particular CEP objects (TS2 or UNI dowsn't matter):

1) Objects with 1 or 2 original colour options: OK.
2) Objects with only 1 CEP option: OK.
3) Objects with 2 CEP options: the subset/texture choice window is empty; the "OK" button is grayed out; closing the window, OW creates an empty package.
4) Objects with 1 original option and 1 CEP option: the subset choice window shows only the textures related to the original option (the CEP subset is ignored, as if it was not recolourable).

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Advertisement
Instructor
#1227 Old 6th Mar 2005 at 1:34 AM Last edited by Quaxi : 6th Mar 2005 at 2:08 AM.
I think the EP2 format did reintroduce a old Problem. When you place a sink on a counter, it wil get the red cross Texture.

I got over your rules again and again, and i think i implemented it as you said, but i might be wrong there. So could you please have a look?

EDIT:
Ok, the only thing that seems to fix this, is using the FL on the TXMT and TXTr Filenames as well as in the references from the TXMT to the TXTR.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#1228 Old 6th Mar 2005 at 11:02 AM Last edited by Numenor : 6th Mar 2005 at 11:46 AM.
Quaxi:
My tests show that adding the forced relocation only to the TXTR reference in the Material Definition (and only in the "Properties" tab, if we want) is enough. I think that, for readability's sake, we can avoid adding the FR to the filenames.

Anyway, according to what we know (and MaxoidTom explained us), this problem shouldn't occur...
I think that when you select a recolour from the catalog, the game looks into the selected MMAT, finds the referenced MATD (that is in the 0x1c050000 group) and then finds the proper texture looking into the same group of the MATD (i.e. 0x1c050000).
But once the recolour is applied, the colour data are maybe stored by the game in an internal database, probably in a "special" group of its own; therefore, when a sink is applied, the game just looks for the texture in the "special" group, and it doesn't look in the 0x1c050000 group any more. This is the only explanation I can think of...

Well, I have another explanation, but it's too complicated to look real: the BHAVs (or internal routines) used by the game in design mode may be not written to take care of other Groups then the Global 0x1C0532FA...

Anyway, my suggestion is to apply the minimum changes possible to the current EP-ready structure, and so I think we should just add the FR to the reference to the TXTR and not to the filenames.

EDIT:
My theory is supported by another test: if we change the GroupID of the textures to 0x1C0532FA, and we delete any FR, the game correctly finds the countertop texture. I think that this problem is related to the different shape that is used when a sink is put on the counter: it resemble me the problems we had with the breakable objects (wrong texture applied when the shape changes).

EDIT AGAIN:
I think you are aware, by now, that the recolour packages *for the counters* are incomplete again... OW pulls the top (clean/dirty) for one GUID and the finish (clean/dirty) for the second GUID; so, four MMATs are missing (this obviously doesn't apply to the counters - like the value one - that have only 1 GUID).

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Instructor
#1229 Old 6th Mar 2005 at 11:51 PM Last edited by Quaxi : 6th Mar 2005 at 11:58 PM.
I figured the one with the Filenames yesterday, but forgot to post another Edit here. Sorry for that!
I also found the GUID Problem and solved it for Recolors in 0.26.

So waht is the word on extending the CEP for University. Will you take care of this when you (another European that has to wait) get the EP?
The ModFather
retired moderator
#1230 Old 7th Mar 2005 at 12:14 AM Last edited by Numenor : 7th Mar 2005 at 12:32 AM.
I'm going to download v. 026 now. Ehm... do you prefer me to post my issue alerts on your new forum or this thread is still suitable?

EDIT: your new SimPE forum is great! I will post my comments there, for sure

Lab Assistant
#1231 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 8:32 PM Last edited by WDS BriAnna : 8th Mar 2005 at 8:40 PM.
Guys, I'm running into a clothing mesh issue with ep2. I'd been getting a lot of people saying that my tutorial doesn't work anymore, and so I tried to replicate their problem and figured out why they aren't showing up now.

With the original ep format the parts of the clothing mesh: gmdc,gmnd,cres,shpe all had the 1C050000 group and worked.

With the FFFFFFFF group on the cres,shape, and gmdc now they won't work. If a sim was wearing the item, Bodyshop just finds a default skin instead of the newly meshed item. Otherwise the new mesh is nowhere to be found.

Is there a problem with us clothing meshers sticking with ep1? Can we set our 4 files to the 1C050000 group without causing problems?

Edit: Reading back through what Tom said "any scenegraph items not referenced externally should have FFFFFFFF" -- is that the problem? Since the mesh is a stand alone file that the bodyshop skins reference do it's parts need to be in the 1C050000 group?
The ModFather
retired moderator
#1232 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 9:37 PM
BriAnna, since I'm not experienced with clothes meshes, would you please post here a package affected by the problem you described? I'd like to study it to check if the EP2 is compatible with skins.

Anyway, in my opinion, the EP1 can be used without any side effects.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#1233 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 11:04 PM
I'm reading about some recolour issues reported by the users in different forums.
Seems that some objects, that previously were perfectly recolourable, don't work any more when the EP is installed.

Quote: Originally posted by tressak (from the [autolink=http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=630456
SimPE[/autolink] forum)]When i recolored these, the images i have are fine on my hard drive. in the game the textures show up as white with black binary numbers on them.

piano
dartboard
soma wall tv
soma pancake tv
alienware computer
compact stereo

things that dont recolour:

chess table top
black laquer bar top

some other points:

i know i said this in another post (but i can't find it) the seat to the drums flashes blue
shiney time cooktop stove top part of it flashes blue.
(i know this isn't where blue flashing stuff goes probably but i am making the list for me too)

and the felt to the pool table seems weird, that might be me but i dont know because i have one color that works perfect and one that doesn't and they were both done exactly the same way. just the darker color comes out perfect and the lighter comes out with darker box shades looks like it's tiled when i zoom out.

chair cushions when you zoom out have some weird box thing in the front center.

the discourse dining table does some strange tiling thing when you zoom out.

Everyone has the EP installed (and RGiles in particular) is welcome to test and report if these issues are confirmed.

Another important thing: it was reported that all the Object Data contained in the base game are *duplicated* in the EP Object.package; lord knows how many files are duplicated. The most important thing to check is whether the GMNDs are duplicated, too, in the new Objects04.package installed with the EP.

Lab Assistant
#1234 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 11:16 PM
Sure, here's a working and not-working version of the same mesh.

The only difference is the the group numbers (for the files in the mesh).

A quick overview of clothing meshes:

Skins, as created by bodyshop, contain a 3idr file that tells the game which cres and shape to use by tgi. Meshers find the gmnd, gmdc, cres, and shpe and put them in a new package file. We then use "fix integrity" and the scenegraph wizard to get unique names and tgis for our "mesh_" package.

Then we set the 3idr in the bodyshop skin to point to the new tgis for cres and shape. (After that, people can just bodyshop a skin using that mesh and bodyshop will keep these new cres and shape references.)

Incidentally, putting the shape and cres in the bodyshop file does allow the FFFFFFFF group to show up. This is not acceptable, though, since all skins using the mesh would all have to have their own copies and people wouldn't be able to make new colors for the meshes with bodyshop. (Imagine just the hard drive space implications if every single object recolor package needed it's own copy of the gmnd, gmnd, cres, and shape). There are currently around 3 dozen skins right now on various sites that use my long hair mesh, for example, and another 2 dozen or so using my miniskirt mesh.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  working.zip (430.7 KB, 19 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  notworking.zip (431.2 KB, 10 downloads) - View custom content
The ModFather
retired moderator
#1235 Old 9th Mar 2005 at 12:01 AM
OK. BriAnna, you guessed right: in this case the cres and the shape are to be considered "referenced externally" (because they are referenced in the 3DID file, that is assigned to a different GroupID) and so they must reside in the global group 0x1c050000, otherwise the game will never find them.
As a consequence, all the subsequent files in the scenegraph tree (i.e. the gmnd and the gmdc) must be in the same global group, as well.

I didn't understand that the mesh was contained in a separate file then the recolour.
The only solution for clothing meshes (and their recolours) is to comply to the "EP1" format, like you have done until now.

But explain me one thing. I guess that the file "5ffec44e_WDSFLares.package" was created with BodyShop, right? I noticed that the Material Definition is assigned to the 0x5FFEC44E Group, that is not a global group. And in your Shape ("Parts" tab), the reference to the Material Definition doesn't have the forced relocation (i.e. the ##0x5FFEC44E! prefix). Does the game finds the material without any problem? It's odd, it shouldn't be so...
But as long as it work, who cares?

EDIT: never mind, I've answered to my own question: the 3DID does the "linking" job.
Lab Assistant
#1236 Old 9th Mar 2005 at 12:13 AM
Yes. The skin is otherwise exactly the way bodyshop leaves it, and other skinners can use the mesh with bodyshop without knowing anything about SimPE or modding other than "include the mesh package with your skin".
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
Original Poster
#1237 Old 9th Mar 2005 at 2:55 PM Last edited by RGiles : 9th Mar 2005 at 5:51 PM.
Editted:

I've got about 4 objects left to test. Here are the problems that I've found:

The Resurrect-O-Nomitron
Only the base is color enabled. I think this is a GUID problem in the phone part. It wouldn't use the same GUID as the regular phone because it has different behaviors.

Superflux Über UV Guitar
Only the amp is color enabled, yet there are color options made by maxis available. I think Maxis screwed up and we need to find where.

Genuine Buck's Famous Counterfeiting Machine CEP is causing the center part of the object to go invisible, even for the original texture.

I started working from the bottom up and have only a few items left to test, and then I'll look into whatever problems haven't already been solved.

RG
Original Poster
#1238 Old 9th Mar 2005 at 3:06 PM
Tom had reported specifically somewhere that I can't remember that bodyshop items had to use the filename hash and not the private group because they were referenced externally.

The context for his comment was that that this pattern was kept in the Homecrafter's Plus program because it used a lot of old Bodyshop code, but he didn't believe that it was necessary in that case, just a leftover.

I'm willing to bet that applies here with the new meshes as well. They are being referenced externally through the 3DIR files.

RG
Original Poster
#1239 Old 9th Mar 2005 at 6:07 PM Last edited by RGiles : 9th Mar 2005 at 9:47 PM.
I've finished testing what was left and the problems listed above are the only ones.

Edit: attached is an updatede GMND for the Counterfeiting Machine. Slave subsets won't work for it due to the naming conventions issue that Numenor discovered. We're going to have to apply recolors separately.

I'm going to look at the guitar. Maxis goofed up there somewhere. They enabled design mode, but it ain't working.

Edit Again: The guitar is recolorable, but only using the design tool. That sucks. Doesn't look like we can do a damn thing about it but tell people, though.

Edit Even More: In the case of the Resurrection thingy, I'm getting the impression that we really can't recolor both parts effectively. For starters, you can't use the meshmaterials to point to the CRES for the wall phone. They share the same textures, but it's using its own CRES and GUID for the entire object including the phone (and the subset names are different anyway).

I've got it so that I can recolor both the pedestal and the phone base, but not the handset which oldly I can recolor while a sim is holding it, but then it reverts when they put it down. When I have both enabled, SimPE doesn't pick up on the fact that the pedestal is recolorable anymore, probably because it's seeing the phone base and the handset as the 2 recolorable parts. But the game still accepts recolors for the pedestal.

RG
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Counterfeiting Machine GMND.zip (1.0 KB, 15 downloads) - View custom content
The ModFather
retired moderator
#1240 Old 11th Mar 2005 at 9:55 PM Last edited by Numenor : 11th Mar 2005 at 9:57 PM.
You're absolutely right about the phone of the Resurrect-o-nomicron: I didn't realized they had different subset names, compared to the wall phone. So, I think we can only delete the phone from the GMND and let it stay not recolourable.

As for the Guitar, but this apply to the bubble machine, too, seem to me that at the last minute Maxis decided to remove the guitar from the "main" object, and treat it as an accessory. On the contrary, the bass is treated as a whole with the ampli (both meshes are in the same GMDC). I think tha't because the guitar is used by the sims in a more "free" style (they make it turn around them, they play it behind their back...), while the bass is more static.
Anyway, we can't do anything for the guitar, as well.
I'll state in the info file that it's recolourable only in design mode.
I said that this apply to the bubble blower, because the pillows were stripped from the main GMDC, just like the guitar. As a consequence, the pillow, too, are only recolourable in design mode. They left out even a tsMaterialMeshName, originally used to link the pillow to the base; now it only contains: "base (string)=" and nothing else...
Seems that they were in a great hurry in the last days before the official release

Thanks for the GMND of the Counterfeiting machine. So, you think there's no other way then enabling the two subsets separately... Maybe we should only enable one, then: two recolourable subsets seem too much for such an objects (have you ever seen a recolour for any other carrear reward? )
Original Poster
#1241 Old 12th Mar 2005 at 5:17 PM
I will have to look at that object again, and see what the colors of the different parts are like. I really don't think most people will be in a big rush to recolor it.

RG
The ModFather
retired moderator
#1242 Old 13th Mar 2005 at 11:38 AM
RGILES: for the three defective objects you pointed out, I did the following:
1) The Resurrect-o-nomicron: I removed the colour options for the phone and the handset.
2) The guitar: the ampli is recolourable, as well as the guitar itself; but to apply the recolour to the guitar you need to use the Design Tool; I've stated this as a Maxis known issues.
3) The counterfeiting machine: I decided to keep your GMND as is, with two separate recolourable parts; I don't think that the users will be much concerned about what we decide about it, anyway...

Beside these objects, are there any other objects that still need to be tested? I have started from the top and I currently have come to the "Laganaphyllis Simnovorii" (the cow plant). Everything is OK for me.

Are we going to publish the CEP v. 2.0? I can't wait any more... :D
The ModFather
retired moderator
#1243 Old 14th Mar 2005 at 1:40 PM Last edited by Numenor : 20th Mar 2005 at 11:54 AM.
QUAXI:
These are the files I told you.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  test_objects.rar (657.0 KB, 13 downloads) - View custom content

Page 50 of 50